Top Gear thread

Started by Mustangfan2003, November 17, 2010, 09:32:40 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 26, 2011, 11:52:59 PM
Does anyone have the USA road trip the UK version did in December? I started downloading it on Sunday and it got about 10% of the way through, but hasn't budged since. Anyone want to burn it to a DVD and send it to me, or find some awesome internet way of sending 700 MB?

I have it. I am technologically impaired.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

I could upload it to my MobileMe account for you to download it from.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on January 26, 2011, 11:10:29 PM
The British version uses "Brilliant" and "Rubbish" incessantly.  The only reason you don't care is because they have accents when they say it.  I'm sure the Brits who watch the show must think, "Can't they stop saying those words?"  Those are as common over there as "Awesome" and "Fail" are here. 

Almost everything people have complained about with regards to the American version can be applied to the British version as well.  The overuse of similes and metaphors applies to both shows, the overuse of two particular adjectives applies to both shows, and being over scripted applies to both shows.  The only thing that applies just to the American show that I've seen so far is the chemistry...but the first few seasons of Top Gear UK were terrible.  There was no chemistry at all.  The US show is already further ahead than they were in that regard.

One other difference, a pet peeve of mine, none of the US presenters takes sarcastic cheap shots at the British.  Clarkson, and sometime Hammond, on the other hand never miss an opportinity to rag on the US, it's people and cars.  Even in jest it gets tiresome.

Raza

I'm way behind on the new Top Gear. 

My complaint about the US Top Gear is that they're wooden and feel scripted. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2011, 07:23:14 AM
I'm way behind on the new Top Gear. 

My complaint about the US Top Gear is that they're wooden and feel scripted. 

If you're just saying that now, then yes, you're quite behind. :lol:

the Teuton

So how about the Ashes special from the Brit point of view? I liked the Aussie version better, to be honest.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Mustangfan2003

I thought the Aussie episode was a little better because the BBC version had some stuff cut out to make room the other stuff for a regular episode. 

68_427

I was kinda pissed they pretty much just reshowed a previous episode.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

We have Top Gear in the headlines of every major newspaper here in Mexico today because of the way they made fun of Mexicans in the news section when they talked about the Mastretta mexican sports car. Our embassy is demanding an apology from the BBC ha ha ha. I am guessing we will never get it.

It is a fuss all over the national media today, but I guess that for Mastretta there is no such thing as bad publicity since they are on every radio show and tv news today.

I could care less about their racist comments, they do it to every nationality (including themselves) and it?s part of the show?s mojo and personality. I say bring it on.

BTW it seems the car actually doesn?t suck. You can check it out here:

http://www.mastrettacars.com/#
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Colin

Indeed, it does seem that the Top Gear comments did not amuse the Mexican Ambassador much:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12338053

2o6

I normally laugh at stuff like that, but I thought that was kinda rude and unfunny.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2011, 02:14:05 PM
I normally laugh at stuff like that, but I thought that was kinda rude and unfunny.
I was ROFL'ing at that entire statement in that link. :lol:

Although that Mastretta looks really really cool.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 01, 2011, 01:21:13 PM
We have Top Gear in the headlines of every major newspaper here in Mexico today because of the way they made fun of Mexicans in the news section when they talked about the Mastretta mexican sports car. Our embassy is demanding an apology from the BBC ha ha ha. I am guessing we will never get it.

It is a fuss all over the national media today, but I guess that for Mastretta there is no such thing as bad publicity since they are on every radio show and tv news today.

I could care less about their racist comments, they do it to every nationality (including themselves) and it?s part of the show?s mojo and personality. I say bring it on.

BTW it seems the car actually doesn?t suck. You can check it out here:

http://www.mastrettacars.com/#

I don't think any American tv show would've been able to get away with that. 

Mustangfan2003

SVT666

Great episode.  I really enjoyed it.

Mustangfan2003

I feel sorry for Albanian cops if they really have to drive Chevy Aveos. 

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 08, 2011, 10:50:14 AM

US cops should have to drive Aveos. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Mustangfan2003

Fuck for 96k why don't I buy 3 of them. 

the Teuton

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 08, 2011, 12:34:22 PM
Fuck for 96k why don't I buy 3 of them. 

Srsly.

Maybe they'll throw in the 3rd for free after you buy the first two.

Morris Minor

Given Americans' obesity, ignorance, weird accents, and dull-wits, about which Clarkson never hesitates to remind us, I would have thought viewers of BBC America too slow to pick up on the anti-Mexican comments. Nonetheless the producers have seen fit to censor them from the version to be shown in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12427905
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 11, 2011, 07:50:16 AM
Given Americans' obesity, ignorance, weird accents, and dull-wits, about which Clarkson never hesitates to remind us, I would have thought viewers of BBC America too slow to pick up on the anti-Mexican comments. Nonetheless the producers have seen fit to censor them from the version to be shown in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12427905

Not really shocked by this at all. 

AltinD

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 08, 2011, 10:50:14 AM

They are not AVEOs, they are a smaller model ... and yes, they are indeed the latest vehicles to join the force. Before them the most popular police cars were VW Polos, and before them FIAT Bravo.

As an Albanian myself, I did felt unease with the continuous "all cars in the country are stolen from EU". It's such a old and tiring stereotype left over from the '90s. Now days the stolen cars market is very small. But of course I did enjoyed the episode. :lol:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Colin

The cars on the show were Aveos.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: AltinD on February 12, 2011, 12:19:38 PM
They are not AVEOs, they are a smaller model ... and yes, they are indeed the latest vehicles to join the force. Before them the most popular police cars were VW Polos, and before them FIAT Bravo.

As an Albanian myself, I did felt unease with the continuous "all cars in the country are stolen from EU". It's such a old and tiring stereotype left over from the '90s. Now days the stolen cars market is very small. But of course I did enjoyed the episode. :lol:

I had no idea you were Albanian.  So do you enjoy peaches?   :lol:

AltinD

^^ Actually the word does not exactly sound like the english word 'peach'. The word is 'pidh': (peeth) where 'th' is pronounced as in 'this'. Another word used, that is borrowed from the slavic languages, is more similar: 'picka' (peechkah).

However we do use from time to time the albanian word for 'peach', same way as you use 'cherry' :lol:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no