Top Gear thread

Started by Mustangfan2003, November 17, 2010, 09:32:40 PM

hotrodalex

I loved the ending segment with James and Tanner. Maybe TG America can benefit from seeing the Brits in person.

Rich

So Jeremy has been suspended
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

hotrodalex

Byteme

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 03, 2015, 10:20:56 AM
I'm started to think you get some sort of sexual pleasure from any sort of problem on a GM vehicle, doesn't even matter if it's a manufacturer problem or user error.

I can't speak for Rotor, but I know I do.   :lol: 

Byteme

Quote from: HotRodPilot on March 10, 2015, 11:38:33 AM
So Jeremy has been suspended

Apparently so.

Jeremy Clarkson Suspended from 'Top Gear'
Boldride
By Jeff Perez
59 minutes ago
Bad news Top Gear fans, it looks like everyone's favorite auto show is on the fringe. Reports are coming in that Jeremy Clarkson had a "fracas" with producers, leading to the hosts suspension, and the cancellation of the show's airing this Sunday.

According to The Independent, Jeremy Clarkson was already on his final warning with producers regarding racist allegations earlier in the season, and this final "fracas" ultimately led to his suspension. Here is the official statement from the BBC:

"Following a fracas with a BBC producer Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended pending an investigation. No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday. The BBC will be making no further comment at this time."

No other information has come from the BBC or Clarkson, but the future of the show could be in serious doubt.

Byteme

And from the BBC.  Regaring some of the incidents, doesn't the BBC edit these shows?  I mean they are not broadcast live, someone goes through and edits the footage and related sound recordings.

Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear host, suspended by BBC after 'fracas'Jeremy Clarkson Jeremy Clarkson has hosted Top Gear since 2002

Clarkson: BBC gave me final warning

Top Gear: A vehicle for controversy?

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer.

The corporation said the 54-year-old presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

Clarkson was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word while filming the popular BBC motoring show.

At the time, he said the BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".

The BBC gave no further details on the current incident involving Clarkson, and said it would not be making any further statements at this time.

Clarkson's representatives have yet to reply to requests for a comment.

The presenter himself has remained silent, however last month he tweeted a post saying a "new presenter for Top Gear" was wanted.

"Applicant should be old, badly dressed and pedantic but capable of getting to work on time," he said.

This weekend's episode of Top Gear was set to feature Clarkson - who has fronted the show since 2002 - along with regular co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May at a classic track day.

Former footballer and pundit Gary Lineker was also to appear as the "star in a reasonably priced car".

Lineker has now tweeted, writing: "I don't think I'm ever meant to appear on Top Gear!"

'Strong character'

Former Top Gear presenter Chris Goffey told BBC Radio 5 live while discussions on the programme sometimes became heated when he worked on the show, "it must have been something fairly serious behind the scenes to warrant his immediate suspension.

"I can't think what the hell's gone on, but there you go. When you've got a very strong character who likes things his own way, if somebody stands up to him, there's going to be a row."

Clarkson has courted controversy on several occasions during his time hosting Top Gear.

Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond in the Top Gear Burma special Top Gear was censured by Ofcom for using a "racial" term in its Burma special programme
The show's executive producer, Andy Wilman, described last year as "an annus horribilis" for the programme.

It followed an incident in Argentina where the presenters and crew were forced to flee the country after trouble erupted over a number plate reading H982 FLK - which some suggested referred to the Falklands conflict of 1982.

Last year the show was also censured by Ofcom for breaching broadcasting rules after Clarkson used a derogatory word for Asian people during its Burma special programme.

TV critic Toby Earle told the BBC he was not surprised a Clarkson's suspension. "This incident is the one that's really forced management to take action," he said.

"Part of the show's appeal, to many viewers, has been it's sort of edginess and the fact that it's rough around the edges - in some ways takes no prisoners.

"But of course there is a very delicate line to tread with that, and it has crossed that line I feel."

With Clarkson at its head, Top Gear has been no stranger to controversy.

October 2014 - The show's stars and crew had to abandon filming in Argentina amid angry protests over a car number plate that appears to refer to the Falklands War.

July 2014 - Ofcom ruled that a Burma Special in which Jeremy Clarkson used a racial slur broke broadcasting rules. Clarkson had used the word "slope" as an Asian man crossed a newly built bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.

May 2014 - The programme drew complaints when video footage leaked to the Daily Mirror appeared to show Jeremy Clarkson using a racist term while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe. The presenter later apologised for the incident - which was never broadcast - in a video statement where he "begged forgiveness".

October 2012 - The BBC Trust ruled that comments by Clarkson which likened the design of a camper van to people with facial disfigurements breached disability guidelines.

January 2012 - Indian diplomats complained about a 90-minute India special in which a car fitted with a toilet in its boot is described by Clarkson as "perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots."

February 2011 - The BBC apologised to Mexico after Clarkson and his co-hosts characterised Mexicans as "lazy" and "feckless".

Byteme

And:

Top Gaffes: How Clarkson Fuelled Controversy
Sky NewsSky News – 48 minutes ago..

Top Gaffes: How Clarkson Fuelled Controversy

As the BBC suspends Jeremy Clarkson over a "fracas" with a producer, Sky News looks at past controversies on his show.

:: Falklands number plate row (series 22, October 2014)

A two-part South America special sparked controversy in Argentina over a car number plate - H982 FKL - alleged to refer to the 1982 Falklands War.

Top Gear's crew were chased out of Argentina by veterans and the episode drew complaints from Argentina's ambassador to the UK, Alicia Castro.

But the team behind the show insisted the number plate was just a coincidence.

:: "Slope" remark during Burma special (series 21, March 2014)

Clarkson was accused of using "casual racism" during a Top Gear special, during which he and his co-presenters built a bridge over a Burmese river.

As a man walked across the bridge, Clarkson said: "That's a proud moment but there's a slope on it."

A BBC spokesman said the show was not aware the word "slope" was considered by some to be offensive and insisted it was used to make a "light-hearted wordplay joke".

Ofcom ruled that the programme breached broadcasting rules.

:: "N-word" edited out of Top Gear broadcast (series 19, February 2013)

Clarkson was accused by the Daily Mirror of using the "n-word" while filming an episode of the motoring show.

According to the paper, Clarkson "can be heard chanting, 'Eeny, meeny, miny moe...', before mumbling 'Catch a n****r by his toe'."

Clarkson responded by saying he was "horrified" by the allegations .

The BBC launched an investigation into the episode, which was broadcast without the alleged comment.

:: Fallout from the top over India special (series 17, December 2011)

An Indian special, during which Clarkson built a toilet into the back of a Jaguar, claiming it would be "perfect" for tourists because "everyone" who visits the country suffers diarrhoea, sparked a complaint from the Indian High Commission.

It accused the show of "cheap jibes" and "tasteless humour", adding that it "lacked cultural sensitivity".

A BBC spokesman said it had not insulted Indian people or the country's culture.

:: Albanian man's "murder" triggers complaints (series 16, February 2011)

Hundreds of people complained to the BBC after Top Gear aired a segment during which the presenters tried to squeeze an overweight Albanian man, who had ostensibly been murdered, into the boots of their cars.

The presenters pretended to have been sent to the country to test drive cars for a mafia boss.
\

:: Top Gear slammed over "vulgar" Mexico claims (series 16, December 2010)

A special episode of the show upset Mexicans by describing them as "lazy, feckless and flatulent" and branding their food "refried sick".

It claimed the Mexican ambassador to the UK would not complain as he was likely to be asleep.

In response, ambassador Eduardo Medina-Mora Icaza wrote to the BBC, describing the comments as "outrageous, vulgar and inexcusable".

Ofcom found the BBC had not breached guidelines but the broadcaster admitted the language used had "reinforced" stereotypes.

:: Lorry load of trouble over "prostitute" claim (series 12, November 2008)

The BBC received hundreds of complaints after Clarkson joked about lorry drivers murdering prostitutes.

"Change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder," he said. "That's a lot of effort in a day."

One MP called for Clarkson to be sacked but the BBC defended its presenter, saying viewers have "clear expectations" of his on-screen persona and humour.

:: Botswana special leaves trail of controversy (series 10, November 2007)

Environmental campaigners claimed Top Gear had damaged Botswana's Makgadikgadi salt pan by blasting through it during a 2007 special.

They claimed tracks left by the team's vehicles would remain visible for decades.

However, the BBC said it was careful to avoid sensitive conservation zones.

:: Dead cow "humour" angers viewers (series nine, February 2007)

During a one-off US special, Clarkson tied a dead cow to the roof of a Chevy Comaro before reversing the car and flinging the animal to the ground.

The stunt sparked complaints to both the BBC and Ofcom, but the broadcaster insisted it was "very typical" of the show's "irreverent humour".

A spokesman added: "No offence was intended."

:: Mock Nazi salute sparks anger (series seven, November 2005)

Clarkson did little to strengthen Anglo-German relations when he made a mock Nazi salute during a segment discussing a new Mini.

He also claimed the car's in-built navigation system "only goes to Poland".

German diplomats sternly pointed out that, had his salute been on German TV, he would have faced criminal charges and even a possible six-month prison term.

The BBC said it would be dealt with under its "rigorous" complaints procedure.

:: Crash test damages villagers' tree (series three, November 2003)

The BBC was forced to hand over £250 to a parish council in Somerset after Clarkson damaged a horse chestnut tree while testing the strength of a Toyota Hilux.

Local people thought the damage had been caused by vandals until later recognising the tree on TV.

The show "unreservedly apologised".

SVT666

The three of them should just do the show on their own and sell it to Netflix.  Then they won't have to worry about any complaints.

hotrodalex

Genius ^

This season has been so good, too.

SVT666

Yeah, all but the St. Petersburg episode have been great.

hotrodalex

Apparently Clarkson threw a punch at a producer.

Maybe Tanner's appearance last episode was his trial run for replacing Clarkson.

r0tor

Quote from: SVT666 on March 10, 2015, 12:52:22 PM
The three of them should just do the show on their own and sell it to Netflix.  Then they won't have to worry about any complaints.

Agreed... Most of those claims are beyond ridiculous
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 10, 2015, 02:43:21 PM
Apparently Clarkson threw a punch at a producer.

Maybe Tanner's appearance last episode was his trial run for replacing Clarkson.

He probably deserved it... the producer, I mean.

SVT666

From what I gather, Top Gear is canceled indefinitely.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on March 10, 2015, 06:52:01 PM

Torches and pitchforks on standby.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on March 10, 2015, 06:52:01 PM

What
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Yeah. Unless they come to an agreement of some kind, the remaining 3 episodes will not be shown.

If I was running Netflix, I would already be talking to the boys about doing the show there. Obviously titled something other than Top Gear, but the same format, same producers, directors, writers, and camera crew.

SVT666

I just read that BBC has stated that at least the next two episodes and possibly the final episode of the season will not be broadcast.  This is bullshit.  Air them, just don't have Jeremy hosting the live portions.  Let the final 3 episodes air, let the boys break their contracts and sell the rights to the show to Netflix. 

Cookie Monster

If the people commenting on Jalopnik are correct, the three presenters already sold their stakes in the show in 2012. Plus, I bet BBC has some sort of non-compete already signed so they can't just jump ship and start doing the same show elsewhere.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on March 10, 2015, 07:37:13 PM
Yeah. Unless they come to an agreement of some kind, the remaining 3 episodes will not be shown.

If I was running Netflix, I would already be talking to the boys about doing the show there. Obviously titled something other than Top Gear, but the same format, same producers, directors, writers, and camera crew.
Never happen.  The entire crew are employees of the BBC.  They aren't going to jump ship and risk their future employment to do something like that.

I can't believe the outrage here. mad at the BBC, they ought to be mad at that ass Clarkson for causing this problem.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CLKid on March 11, 2015, 07:51:40 AM
Never happen.  The entire crew are employees of the BBC.  They aren't going to jump ship and risk their future employment to do something like that.

I can't believe the outrage here. mad at the BBC, they ought to be made at that ass Clarkson for causing this problem.

Clarkson and the Producer.
Will

r0tor

I call shenanigans... Probably McLaren or ferrari are behind this after an "agreement" was made to race the holy trinity.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on March 11, 2015, 09:16:21 AM
I call shenanigans... Probably McLaren or ferrari are behind this after an "agreement" was made to race the holy trinity.

I've kind of been wondering the same thing... He doesn't seem like he'd resort to punching. Verbal abuse, sure.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31832698

SVT666

He punched Piers Morgan in the face a few years ago.

SVT666

This fight was over the fact there would be no hot food being served after filming.  Clarkson is an idiot, but I want to see them take the show somewhere else anyway. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on March 11, 2015, 09:54:02 AM
He punched Piers Morgan in the face a few years ago.

Who wouldn't?

:lol:

Punching someone over catering is pretty stupid.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on March 11, 2015, 09:55:40 AM
This fight was over the fact there would be no hot food being served after filming.  Clarkson is an idiot, but I want to see them take the show somewhere else anyway.

So "Prima Donna" is now spelled C-L-A-R-K-S-O-N.

Hot food may even be in his contract but it certainly isn't worth a physical dust up.

SVT666

People who were actually there are saying there were no punches thrown, just pushing.

hotrodalex