Hmmm. Weird;

Started by hounddog, November 29, 2010, 10:48:52 AM

hounddog

Randy is his family were up for the weekend, and this AM he and I made a trip into town for gas and breakfast.

While he filled the tank I checked the oil, but what I found gave me concern.

The Durango 5.7 oil cap is a large plastic piece, and the oil goes down a long tube.  When I took it off I noticed liquid coming out of the cap.  When I turned it over I noticed what looked like water (clear liquid) inside the underneath of the cap, and a brown substance that actually looked like cooked anti-freeze.  Smelled like cooked anti-freeze as well.

The thing was, it was really sticky and not slimy at all. 

His engine runs a needle width below the middle mark on temp, and no guage for oil pressure but the dummy light was not on.  But he said he has noticed when he tries to back it in somewhere it acts like it might stall.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if he had a cracked block/head and was leaking anti-freeze into the engine the oil case would be too full?  He will not be home for another 4-5 hours and I'm hopeing he can make it.  I tried to lend him my truck and I would deal with the issue but he said he was fine.

Thoughts on what it could be if not anti-freeze?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

shp4man

Coolant and oil mix up into a nasty looking slime that's about the same color as coffee with cream. Unless the crankcase is full of that stuff, it's probably just condensation.

S204STi

Plus One on the condensation. Chrysler trucks in particular seem prone to gathering water on the underside of the oilcap.

hounddog

Thanks, I will pass it along.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

AutobahnSHO

Oil+ antifreeze STINKS.
When the SHO blew up I was mad. Had it towed to the DIY shop and left it a couple weeks.

When I drained the oil to check out the damage about a gallon of antifreeze came out first then oil. Stunk like rotten nastiness. Was a funky caramel color/consistency along with black water... 
Will