BMW SUV's Added X Appeal

Started by BMWDave, May 13, 2005, 11:59:18 AM

BMWDave

BMW SUV's Added X Appeal

his week's mag pictures prove that BMW's X3 is getting an early makeover in readiness for increased competition from Land Rover's eagerly anticipated all-new Freelander and the Volvo XC50.

While the styling changes are subtle, the 4x4 gets revised bumpers front and rear. The idea is to give the X3 a sleeker appearance; the current car's looks have been criticised for their fussiness, and designers want to make things simpler.

The biggest changes come inside. Bringing BMW's smallest off-roader in line with the X5, trim will be dramatically upgraded. High quality soft-touch plastics will replace the cheap-feeling material found on the dashboard, while equipment levels are expected to be revised to improve value for money.

Under the bonnet, the X3 will feature cutting-edge powerplants from the new 3-Series. The 2.5-litre petrol unit will get a 23bhp power boost to 215bhp, while the more costly 3.0-litre engine is also uprated from 231bhp to 254bhp.

Extra sound-deadening material will improve refinement on all variants. But no chassis alterations are expected - rather than deliver a complete overhaul, BMW intends to address specific minor weaknesses in the X3 package.

Facelifted models will go on sale in Germany in September next year, with right-hand-drive cars due before the end of 2006. Competition in this class is set to be fierce, with the Volvo and Land Rover using the next Ford Mondeo platform.
Chris Thorp

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

I don't think the materials in the current X3 are subpar. They're better than that of the new 3, 5, and 6. I'm pretty sure the X3 will fare the best out of the cars this article lists as its competition.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteI don't think the materials in the current X3 are subpar. They're better than that of the new 3, 5, and 6. I'm pretty sure the X3 will fare the best out of the cars this article lists as its competition.
I certainly dont think they are subpar...I was in one and everything felt high quality.  And it will do very well against its competition.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

It felt to be of very high quality.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I always liked the look of the X3 inside and out. But you can't argue with making something good better.  

BMWDave

QuoteI always liked the look of the X3 inside and out. But you can't argue with making something good better.
right you are

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I also thought that it had good materials, but improvement is always good. I am also glad they are going to fix the various design details that are too busy. But, what they really need to do is put together a more balanced sports package.

ifcar

QuoteI also thought that it had good materials, but improvement is always good. I am also glad they are going to fix the various design details that are too busy. But, what they really need to do is put together a more balanced sports package.
They said they upgraded the ride for 2005.  

Catman

Did someone throw a spear through the door? :o  

TBR

I noticed that also,  it is just a flat spot in a mold or something .That probably wasn't the best photo to use to illustrate high quality.

TBR

QuoteI also thought that it had good materials, but improvement is always good. I am also glad they are going to fix the various design details that are too busy. But, what they really need to do is put together a more balanced sports package.
They said they upgraded the ride for 2005.
Good.

BMWDave

I noticed that also,  it is just a flat spot in a mold or something .That probably wasn't the best photo to use to illustrate high quality.
I dont understand what you guys are talking about.  I took that picture at the NYIAS in the X3 there.  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I dont understand what you guys are talking about.  I took that picture at the NYIAS in the X3 there.
Sounds like they found a possible flaw, but I don't see what they're talking about either.  :(  

mazda6er

Sounds like they found a possible flaw, but I don't see what they're talking about either.  :(
They're talking about that ring of plastic recessed plastic directly above the door handle where it was molded. That's one of the first things I noticed.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

They're talking about that ring of plastic recessed plastic directly above the door handle where it was molded. That's one of the first things I noticed.
I assume that's the cover for the screw that holds that panel into place.  

mazda6er

Probably. It is difficult to avoid. I know my Mazda has a few "flaws" similar to that.
--Mark

BMWDave

QuoteProbably. It is difficult to avoid. I know my Mazda has a few "flaws" similar to that.
Hopefully then they will be fixing things simmilar to that.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I assume that's the cover for the screw that holds that panel into place.
Maybe that is it,  since it is in an area that is hard for someone to notice in every day use.

850CSi

My dad drives a nicely equipped '04 2.5i...

I don't like SUVs much, but the X3 is one of the few I wouldn't mind driving that much, mainly because it's relatively small, seating position is closer to the ground than normal SUVs, and it handles very well.

My mom doesn't like the rough ride, but I actually prefer it over a lot of other cars. I just wish that with such a stiff ride, it had less body roll.

Me and my dad share the A4 and X3 back and forth, so I have a lot of experience. If there's anything I could change with my dad's, it's the trim. I don't like the Silvery trim, the wood looks a LOT better. Materials are actually pretty good, though. They're much better than the 5-Series, nearly as good as the 6-Series.

The 3-Series, ironically, appears to be better built on the inside with higher quality materials than any other Bangle BMW. I'm guessing [hoping] this trend is going to carry over on the facelifts. The 5-Series especially... It was good in black, but grey... Looked miserable. On the X3, too...
Hyundai interiors, I tell ya.