ARGHHHH! Stuck socket on lug nut

Started by MrH, December 02, 2010, 01:16:29 PM

MrH

Well, the winter wheels and tires came in.  Look great.  Pulled the Miata into my parent's garage to do the swap.  The wheel lock lug nut came off fine.  The other ones were impact wrenched to hell apparently.  Could get them off at all, and in the process, got the socket stuck on the lug nut (which won't budge).  :facepalm:

I can't drive the Miata now because the wheel is going to be so off balance with a giant socket stuck on there.  I tried tapping it with a hammer.  Wiggles just slightly, but isn't coming off.  Former CarSPIN member, and high school class mate of Teuton, Crosswire, will probably come by in the next few days to help.

Any suggestions besides using an impact wrench or a torch (of which I have neither at my parent's house)?  I'm driving the Protege5 until I get these swapped I guess.  Brings back memories driving around in the MP5.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

Did you try using a cheater/breaker bar to get the lugs loose?

Cookie Monster

Would heating it up with a propane torch (in those blue bottles) be a bad idea?

Or is that what you meant by using a torch?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

I thought he meant cutting the lug off with the torch.

Cookie Monster

Well if he clamped some vice grips over the socket and then heated it up to get the metal to expand, it may come off.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 02, 2010, 01:25:46 PM
Did you try using a cheater/breaker bar to get the lugs loose?

Yeah, not a giant one though.  Didn't have anything too big laying around to use.
Quote from: thecarnut on December 02, 2010, 01:37:44 PM
Would heating it up with a propane torch (in those blue bottles) be a bad idea?

Or is that what you meant by using a torch?

That's what I mean by using a torch.  If you heat the socket, it'll expand and come off easier.  No need to use a vise.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on December 02, 2010, 01:52:19 PM
Yeah, not a giant one though.  Didn't have anything too big laying around to use.
That's what I mean by using a torch.  If you heat the socket, it'll expand and come off easier.  No need to use a vise.

I suggested the vice grips so you'd have something to grab the socket by when it's really hot. :lol:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Guess I'm not torching it.  A friend told me that's a bad idea with aluminum wheels. 
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

hotrodalex

You could drive super fast over a bump to see if it knocks it off. :lol:

The Pirate

So the socket is stuck to the lug, and you can't break the lug free?  Put the breaker bar (or the ratchet) on the socket and whack the hell out of the head of the breaker bar with a big hammer.  Go 'round in a circle with this.  Watch for movement and all that, you'll know fairly soon if it's going to work.  Squirt some PB Blaster in there first.

Alternative is to get some massive leverage (pipe or whatever you have over the breaker bar) and put some man force into it.  Deal with the socket/lug situation once it's off.

Another option (and this should probably be tried first, now that I think about it) is to reverse your direction.  You've wedged the socket on the lug trying to loosen, so try tightening.  Use a snapping motion here.  Doesn't solve the issue of removing the wheel, but gets the socket free for an impact setup.

As far as heat, you'll probably be okay if you've got a little propane torch, anything that can isolate the heat.  I've used torches frequently on super expensive aluminum bicycle frames, trying to extract a bottom bracket.  The alloy can take a bit of heat, just heat the socket quickly.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MX793

Quote from: The Pirate on December 02, 2010, 05:19:07 PM
So the socket is stuck to the lug, and you can't break the lug free?  Put the breaker bar (or the ratchet) on the socket and whack the hell out of the head of the breaker bar with a big hammer.  Go 'round in a circle with this.  Watch for movement and all that, you'll know fairly soon if it's going to work.  Squirt some PB Blaster in there first.

Alternative is to get some massive leverage (pipe or whatever you have over the breaker bar) and put some man force into it.  Deal with the socket/lug situation once it's off.

Another option (and this should probably be tried first, now that I think about it) is to reverse your direction.  You've wedged the socket on the lug trying to loosen, so try tightening.  Use a snapping motion here.  Doesn't solve the issue of removing the wheel, but gets the socket free for an impact setup.

As far as heat, you'll probably be okay if you've got a little propane torch, anything that can isolate the heat.  I've used torches frequently on super expensive aluminum bicycle frames, trying to extract a bottom bracket.  The alloy can take a bit of heat, just heat the socket quickly.

I'd actually be more concerned about the paint/clearcoat finish on the wheels than the alloy itself.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Secret Chimp

Whenever this happened to me, I just pulled the wrench in the other direction and it came off.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

+1 for just reversing direction. If that fails, remove the nut from the wheel and use a punch and hammer to knock it out from the other end. Usually need a drift on the other side like another slighty larger socket or a vise.

The Pirate

Quote from: MX793 on December 02, 2010, 05:37:16 PM
I'd actually be more concerned about the paint/clearcoat finish on the wheels than the alloy itself.

Yeah, good call.  I wasn't thinking that the lugs are probably fairly flush with the wheel (don't know why, 'cause 90% of them are).  Like mentioned, I've used heat plenty of times on bicycle frames, but the stuck component is usually external enough that I'm not putting direct heat on the painted alloy.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hounddog

Quote from: The Pirate on December 02, 2010, 05:19:07 PM
So the socket is stuck to the lug, and you can't break the lug free?  Put the breaker bar (or the ratchet) on the socket and whack the hell out of the head of the breaker bar with a big hammer. 
Anytime you hit the breaker on a lug you are in grave jeopardy of breaking off the lug.

Better to get a much larger breaker and start over. 

Agree, by the way with reversing. 

You can always try pipe wrench with a really nice breaker on the socket if all else fails.  Just be really careful not to gouge the wheel or the paint on the car.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

The Pirate

Quote from: hounddog on December 02, 2010, 07:51:31 PM
Anytime you hit the breaker on a lug you are in grave jeopardy of breaking off the lug.

Better to get a much larger breaker and start over. 

Agree, by the way with reversing. 

You can always try pipe wrench with a really nice breaker on the socket if all else fails.  Just be really careful not to gouge the wheel or the paint on the car.

True, and I've broken a lug before.  Either way, it comes off...

And, ideally, at this point, the whole stud is going to be replaced anyway.  Once a lug is overtorqued to the point of not coming off, the stud is stretched and shouldn't be reused.  That's a perfect situation, of course.

hounddog

True.

At least if you don't break it off you can continue to drive it for a short time until you are able to get the issue resolved.

Break it off and now you are simply rolling the dice if you continue to drive it.  But, yeah, I know what you saying.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

MrH

I tried reversing direction, and it wouldn't budge.  I didn't have a very long breaker bar at the house, so I'll come up with something and try it again tomorrow or Saturday.  Once the nut comes off, getting it out of the socket won't be too bad.  The miata is sitting in the garage in the mean time.

Makes me realize how slow and giant the Protege5 feels in comparison to the miata.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

VTEC_Inside

Hmm, my first thought was to reverse direction as well.

Try using the scissor jack the car probably came with under the socket and start cranking, back off, rotate, and repeat. Even if you have to sacrifice an extension plugged into the socket to have something to get the scissor jack on. At least that way everything will go nice and slowly, ie no hitting or sudden knuckle buster episodes.

In either case are you going to be able to get this nut off once the socket is off it??
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Rupert

Wow, that sucks. It's like when the oil change monkey torques the filter to 1000000 lb/ft for no good reason. x_x

I would just be persistent as fuck. Keep wiggling, reversing, etc. If it's super stuck, maybe the socket was a little too big. What about cutting the socket off? It would take one cut along the shaft of the socket, and then the rest could be twisted and bent off.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

Quote from: Rupert on December 02, 2010, 10:44:42 PM
Wow, that sucks. It's like when the oil change monkey torques the filter to 1000000 lb/ft for no good reason. x_x

I would just be persistent as fuck. Keep wiggling, reversing, etc. If it's super stuck, maybe the socket was a little too big. What about cutting the socket off? It would take one cut along the shaft of the socket, and then the rest could be twisted and bent off.

I'm going to use a giant breaker bar and get the thing off the car first, then I should be able to stick a screw driver or something through the socket, and pop the lug nut out hopefully.  If not, I'll just buy a new socket and lug nut.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

If it's that stuck, I bet the nut is fucked.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Secret Chimp

This is why I only use impact sockets on my hand tools above 14mm. I twisted a ton of normal chrome-whatever sockets and I've never had this problem since I started using the magical black metal they make impact sockets out of.

The Pirate

I try to avoid using impact stuff with wheels.  Hand installed and tightened to spec with a torque wrench.  MrH's debacle is one of the reasons why I'm anal that stuff, I've had a tire place wreck a few studs before.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: The Pirate on December 02, 2010, 11:53:24 PM
I try to avoid using impact stuff with wheels.  Hand installed and tightened to spec with a torque wrench.  MrH's debacle is one of the reasons why I'm anal that stuff, I've had a tire place wreck a few studs before.
I think means that he still hand tightens with a wrench, he just uses the black impact sockets.

I hate chrome sockets, but they are easy to spot if you drop them into a dark nook or cranny.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

You guys buying shitty tools? 'Cause my mid level Craftsman sockets have been nothing but good.

Byteme

Do you have a big pair of vice grips?  If so use them to grip the socket with as much fiorce as you can so the vice grips stick out like a socket extension would.   Take a mhammer and them hit the vice grips from the top and then the bottom repeatedly to see if that can work it off.  Spray a bait of lubricant in there as well, it couldn't hurt.

If all else fails can you use a dremel tool to cut the socket off?  Make a couple of lateral cuts the length of the socket, splitting it in two. 

An alternative is to just muscle the thing in the opposite direction until the socket either comes off or you snap the stud offl. That happens all the time and the stud can be replaced fairly easily.

In any case the lug nut is probably toast.

I would't try heat 

r0tor

Take the breaker bar off, squirt some wd-40 or equivalent in there, attach an air compressor hose to the socket, turn compressor on, and shoot dat sucka off like an oily bottle rocket
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Secret Chimp

Quote from: The Pirate on December 02, 2010, 11:53:24 PM

I use impact sockets on hand tools. All in all it just leaves me with less sockets to keep track of since they all go into a little clippy-shut box and I keep my tools in an old Adidas duffel bag...

The Pirate

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 03, 2010, 12:51:53 PM
I use impact sockets on hand tools. All in all it just leaves me with less sockets to keep track of since they all go into a little clippy-shut box and I keep my tools in an old Adidas duffel bag...

Right, I got it now.