Started by The Pirate, December 06, 2010, 06:31:47 PM

Which one?

2006 Honda Accord SE
8 (57.1%)
2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

The Pirate

Hey folks, need some thoughts here.  My brother is in the process of getting a new (to him) car.  The Buick is getting long in the tooth, and it's better for him to be in something a bit newer as he drives a fair amount.

Options are a 2006 Honda Accord SE with 29K miles and a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i sedan with 50K miles.  Both are automatic much to his chagrin (but he's practical enough to realize that he needs to make concessions at this point).  These are the only two options currently, as both are available at a dealer that my family has been doing business with for years.

He drives a fair amount.  His day job as an accountant has him traveling at least once a month, within NY and Pennsylvania.  He is also an assistant basketball coach at the local community college.  The significance here is that he needs a car that is going to have minimal downtime.  As well, reasonable operating costs are key, which is why I steered him away from the Audi A4 that he drove (it was a sweet car, just not the right car at this time).

He likes nimble responsive cars (enjoys borrowing my car), and both of these will be a sufficient upgrade from his Buick Regal in that area.  He keeps up with oil changes and the like, but isn't going to get his hands dirty.  Service will be performed by me or a mechanic.  Again, minimal operating expenses and reliability are important.  I realize that we are missing some good options by only looking at these cars, but a fair deal is able to made at the dealer selling them.  

Asking price on the Honda is $13,900 and asking price on the Subaru is $14,200.  He has a down payment, and the dealer is being very fair on trade in for his car.  Don't know what final purchase price will be, but in any case the amount financed will be less $10K (and hopefully closer to $8K).

So, I ask for thoughts from you guys.  

I'm leaning towards the Accord, as the mileage is great and fuel economy will likely be better than the Subaru.  I also see overall cost to own being cheaper, owing to no maintenance costs associated with an AWD drivetrain.  Anecdotal, but to me it seems that Subaru quality has dipped in recent years.  Honda may have too, but 2006 seems to be a pretty solid year still.

We will be test driving both cars soon, I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Here are pictures of the exact cars in question.

Thanks guys!

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

2o6

Raza

The Accord.  The Subaru looks better, but with that underpowered engined, AWD, four speed automatic, and relatively cramped interior (smaller than my Jetta) means it's a loser in this comparison.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23759.msg1436996#msg1436996 date=1291686048
The Accord.  The Subaru looks better, but with that underpowered engined, AWD, four speed automatic, and relatively cramped interior (smaller than my Jetta) means it's a loser in this comparison.

My sentiments exactly.  My brother is 6'4".  It's been a while, but I don't recall that bodystyle of Legacy having an abundance of headroom (sunroof hurts there too), even for me.

It is a good looking car though.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Tave

Yeah, I'd be swayed on interior space too. They're close enough in every other regard that you may as well go with what's comfortable, especially for a commuter.

What really kills the Legacy is the rear seats. Front passengers actually have more legroom than in the Accord, although elbow room is tighter.

So if he has a SO/rugrats to lug around it would be a bigger issue. Maybe not so much if he's on his own.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

The Pirate

Quote from: Tave on December 06, 2010, 07:04:19 PM
Yeah, I'd be swayed on interior space too. They're close enough in every other regard that you may as well go with what's comfortable, especially for a commuter.

He's going to be driving all over NYS in winter, so the Subaru's AWD would be nice.  But I don't feel it to be necessary and he's a pretty good driver.

We'll obviously drive both, but you're right on space/comfort, and I'm thinking the Accord wins there. 

CALL_911

If the Legacy didn't have that damn 4-speed, I'd take it. That 2.5L isn't great either. But man, that is a great looking car.

So I guess Accord.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

I voted before I read Raza's post.  Damnit.  I voted Legacy, but I wish I could change it to Accord.

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT666 on December 06, 2010, 09:32:44 PM
I voted before I read Raza's post.  Damnit.  I voted Legacy, but I wish I could change it to Accord.

I have the poll setup so you change your vote.

The Pirate

Quote from: Tave on December 06, 2010, 07:04:19 PM

What really kills the Legacy is the rear seats. Front passengers actually have more legroom than in the Accord, although elbow room is tighter.

So if he has a SO/rugrats to lug around it would be a bigger issue. Maybe not so much if he's on his own.

He's 6'4", with long legs.  No rugrats or SO at this point, but friends and the like will be carted around.  We'll have to drive them both, for sure.

Submariner

This is a tough one. 

On one hand, the Accord is more practical and has less miles.  Of course, it's bland as balls, and I doubt it's as fun to drive.

On the other hand, the Legacy is handsome and (I'd imagine) more fun to drive.  In addition, AWD might help if you ever venture out of the city.  Then again, the power train is pretty mediocre and the space might be an issue. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

The Pirate

Quote from: Submariner on December 06, 2010, 11:06:56 PM
This is a tough one. 

On one hand, the Accord is more practical and has less miles.  Of course, it's bland as balls, and I doubt it's as fun to drive.

On the other hand, the Legacy is handsome and (I'd imagine) more fun to drive.  In addition, AWD might help if you ever venture out of the city.  Then again, the power train is pretty mediocre and the space might be an issue. 

He's coming from a 2001 Buick Regal with 150K miles and some failing electronics, so either one is going to be pretty fun. 

the Teuton

The Legacy is way overpriced. If he can talk it down to around $13k or less, I'd take it. Otherwise the Accord is the newer, better car based solely on what we have to work with here.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on December 06, 2010, 11:53:16 PM
The Legacy is way overpriced. If he can talk it down to around $13k or less, I'd take it. Otherwise the Accord is the newer, better car based solely on what we have to work with here.

For better or worse, it's the AWD premium pricing that happens this time of year.

But assume price is a non-issue.  The owner is weird on selling price, he doesn't really drop too much.  Where he will work a lot is on trade - I'm not going to get into specifics, but he's offered much more than the Buick's wholesale value (and it has some issues he's aware of.  So, actual purchase price and amount financed will be lower than that asking price.  

You were one of the people I was hoping to get input from, actually.   What are the trouble spots on that car?  My brother's not terribly easy on cars.

the Teuton

The Legacy's EJ engine design is 22 years old. By 2007, there were no problems -- only Zuul.

It's a solid, rugged car. But the tech or refinement levels ain't exactly where the Honda's is at. Still, it'll take a beating just as well, if not better, than the Honda. And it's a smaller, likely better-feeling car dynamically.

He really can't go wrong with either car. But I wouldn't pay $14k for that Subaru. You could buy them new on sale for $18k or so four years ago.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on December 07, 2010, 12:09:51 AM
The Legacy's EJ engine design is 22 years old. By 2007, there were no problems -- only Zuul.

It's a solid, rugged car. But the tech or refinement levels ain't exactly where the Honda's is at. Still, it'll take a beating just as well, if not better, than the Honda. And it's a smaller, likely better-feeling car dynamically.

He really can't go wrong with either car. But I wouldn't pay $14k for that Subaru. You could buy them new on sale for $18k or so four years ago.

Cool, thanks for the info.  I checked Edmunds just now, and they show $13,900 as true market value for that car.  That's not final, of course, but Edmunds generally seems to be pretty accurate.

And again, he won't be paying $14K for the car. 

The Pirate

the Teuton

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on December 07, 2010, 12:25:30 AM
Doe...Ray...Egon!

Oh, right.  I should have known that.  Just watched Ghostbusters on Halloween.  :mask:

I was thinking of some subaru leet speak...

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on December 07, 2010, 12:27:50 AM
Oh, right.  I should have known that.  Just watched Ghostbusters on Halloween.  :mask:

I was thinking of some subaru leet speak...

While that would be fun, no one but Roy would get it. It'd get old quickly.

Laconian

We like our Accord. Solidly built, with a smooth-running engine and a good compromise between grunt and economy. Lots of room in the backseat.

Don't believe Clay's horror stories.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

If he does find there's enough room in the Legacy, he won't be needing to buy a midsize car. For that price he can get a nearly new car a size class down but with equal or greater interior volume.

And if doesn't find there's enough room...well, the choice is pretty easy.

68_427

Legacy.  I love my mom's.  I'm not sure if the seats in limited trim are better but the rear seats in my mom's are a nice place to be than my friend's mom's Malibu LTZ.  While the Malibu has a lot more space the seat and back are flat as boards while my mom's seats seem as though they mold to my back.  I'd rather ride in more comfortable seats than more spacious one's any day.

I've never been in that gen Accord though.  :lol:

My mom averages 26-27 mpg per tank and the car gets ~33-34 mpg on highway.

Also does he know about Joy?  It's what makes a Subaru; a Subaru.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on December 06, 2010, 11:06:56 PM
This is a tough one. 

I can't believe I'm the one saying this, but I can almost guarantee that the Accord will be more fun to drive than the heavy Legacy that's saddled with an underpowered engine, AWD, and an ancient 4 speeder. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

WookieOnRitalin

I went with the Accord here. That's a bargain for a 29k Accord. It's roomy. Powerful. Practical. Relatively nimble. Better ride quality. It's a solid sedan. I'd be looking at one if I could find a decent deal down here. Lower cost of ownership. I've been in and driven the 2006 many times. It's one of the best built cars I have ever had the pleasure to be behind the wheel. It's smooth and quiet. Simple if not bland. It's not sex, but then it is also a mainstream Sedan.

This is not saying anything against the Legacy which is also a fine car. Accord is just better. Better engine. Better ride. Better mileage. Better miles. Bigger. Quieter. Better interior. Just better.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

First snow storm will cause awd envy...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on December 07, 2010, 09:10:42 AM
I can't believe I'm the one saying this, but I can almost guarantee that the Accord will be more fun to drive than the heavy Legacy that's saddled with an underpowered engine, AWD, and an ancient 4 speeder. 

Powertrain aside, I'd think the Legacy would still be the better of the two.  Then again, I don't have much driver seat time in either, so... :huh:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on December 07, 2010, 12:49:37 PM
Powertrain aside, I'd think the Legacy would still be the better of the two.  Then again, I don't have much driver seat time in either, so... :huh:

Trust me, I've driven underpowered AWD cars.  They're terrible.  Everything feels so slow and dimwitted.  And there are no options for fun because you don't have the power to take advantage of AWD.  I had the chance to get an AWD 1.8T Passat when I was buying in 04 and never once regretted getting the FWD.  FWD is just more fun 99% of the time. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i