Color Me Bored: Silver is Still the Most Popular Color

Started by Byteme, December 07, 2010, 11:16:43 AM

Byteme

I found this interesting (or boring  :lol:).  People pick such bland colors for their vehicles.

Color Me Bored: Silver is Still the Most Popular Color
Published: Tuesday, 7 Dec 2010 | 11:58 AM ET By: Phil LeBeau
CNBC Correspondent

If our cars are an extension of the image we want to portray, we are boring. Not just a little boring, I mean we are lacking a pulse boring. Why do I say that? Just look at the latest survey from DuPont about the most popular colors for cars and trucks around the world. Warning: don't expect to find this list intriguing.

1. Silver ? 26 %
2. Black/Black Effect ? 24 %
3. White/White Pearl and Gray ? 16% each (tie)
5. Red ? 6 %
6. Blue ? 5 %
7. Brown/Beige ? 3 %
8. Green ? 2 %
9. Yellow/Gold ? 1 %
10. Others ? under 1 %

So according to this latest survey, more than two thirds of the cars and trucks out on the road are silver, black, white, or gray.

I'm not surprised.

People go with neutral colors because it will easier to sell the car down the road, because it's in stock when they are at a dealership buying a particular model, and yes, because some colors don't show the need to be washed (I always hear this from friends who pick black over white).

Listen, these are all perfectly logical reasons, but it still doesn't change the fact we are a society of boring conformity when it comes to our cars.

Last night CNBC's Jane Wells said, "Know the Audi ad where everyone has a silver Lexus and the kid is confused? That's me. Just tried to get in someone else's Lexus. Again." Jane, you are not the only person to have that experience.

All of this makes me long for the days in the early and mid 70's when you'd see a wider variety of colors out on the road. Sure, the lime green AMC Pacers were hideous, but at least they made you laugh. A friend of mine had a gold Plymouth Duster with three on the tree. Ahhh, those were the days.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go out and get in my silver SUV.

Raza

Personally, I've never owned a silver car.  Three black and one gray, but no silver. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Two Escapes.  I bright red, the other bright yellow.  My daughter says the garage looks like a crayon box.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Vinsanity

Quote from: EtypeJohn on December 07, 2010, 11:16:43 AM
People go with neutral colors because it will easier to sell the car down the road, because it's in stock when they are at a dealership buying a particular model, and yes, because some colors don't show the need to be washed (I always hear this from friends who pick black over white).

Listen, these are all perfectly logical reasons, but it still doesn't change the fact we are a society of boring conformity when it comes to our cars.

That's my excuse. But I also kind of feel that I'm somehow meant to drive a bronze car. The only other car that 've owned for more than 3 years was bronze. Oh well. At least it doesn't show when it gets dirty :tounge:

SVT666

Onslaught

Black- Never again
Purple- Never again.
Red- Could do again
Blue- I like. And I notice more and more cars are dark blue like mine now.

MrH

I have a green convertible.  That's a manual.  I'm some sort of an anomaly!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on December 07, 2010, 03:38:26 PM
I have a green convertible.  That's a manual.  I'm some sort of an anomaly!
I have the exact same thing! :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT_Power

the 'tour is silver, the blue explorer has been replaced with a silver sorento. So yeah we have two silver cars  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

hotrodalex

Two white, one gray, one red, and one soon to be dark red (black primer as of right now).

Used to be almost all white when my dad had a white Integra instead of the red BMW.

CALL_911

We have dark blue, white, gray and maroon.

That's surprisingly atypical.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MaxPower

I've got a silver truck because I bought it used and didn't care about the color. But when we bought the Legacy new we were bummed by the lack of good color choices and settled for a gray metallic color. I wish they offered World Rally Blue on the Legacy...that would be awesome!

The Pirate

The Mazda is silver.  I'm not crazy about the color, but one can't be fussy when one buys used.

I really liked the color on my Honda.  Iced Teal Pearl.

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Xer0

Lets see...

My Civic is red (as was my old one and I'm sure my new car will also be red; I just love the color)
My Dad's Accord is silver (blah)
My Mom's GLK is Black (blah, and its kind of awkward looking too)
My Grandpa's Prisim is gray (blah, and its a shit box that is built to terribly low standards that has not aged well at all in the 5 or so years that he has had it)
My sister's Mazda3 is some strange light blueish tint that I rather like.

ifcar

Beige, blue and green have really slid. They used to be The Thing, and now they're below red in squarely niche territory.

TBR

Previous one was red, current one is white, and future one will probably be silver but would be white pearl if it wasn't extra $$$.

Family: Tan F-250, White F-150, Dark Blue Outback, and Weird Blue/Green Corolla.

Previous cars were dark green, gold, gray, dark blue, brown, and tan.

Byteme

Current cars, the Red Fleet.
Red 07 Mazda6
Red 06 Mazda3
Red 69 Etype
Merlot Mica (in the red spectrum) 95 Miata

Considering a light blue 93 Ford F-150

Son still has the green Buick Century

J86

you might have to re-spray that f150 if you get it...

CJ

We have black, black, gray, gray.  And the MPV was silver.  The 940 was white.  The 1997 Integra was green (!) and the 1994 Integra was black.  The last cars my parents have bought have either been black, silver, or gray.

J86

Quote from: CJ on December 07, 2010, 06:32:03 PM
We have black, black, gray, gray.  And the MPV was silver.  The 940 was white.  The 1997 Integra was green (!) and the 1994 Integra was black.  The last cars my parents have bought have either been black, silver, or gray.

Other than a metallic green Saab, my parents' most recent car purchases (from the most recent) have been silver, silver, black, white.  booooooriiiiinnnnnggggg

I've had dark green (hand-me down from the old man... good car), then a dark gray I bought, then a silver, then some shitty metallic beige-green thing, now I THINK (from what I saw off pics) a metallic light green.  Hm, I'm not much more exciting :lol:

When buying very cheap used cars, color is prety far down the list of important features.

sportyaccordy

Strangely enough, many of the cars I own are either unavailable or hard to find in silver. Seems like silver took a hold in the late 90s. I'd love a 95ish Prelude in silver.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

Sporty, my mom had a silver Accord that was the same gen as the one in your sig. The paint peeled pretty badly, though. I think I remember that being a big problem with silver paint (but I could just be imagining that...)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on December 07, 2010, 03:41:53 PM
CURSE YOU!  I was first.
:lol:

The Accord was the same green as well. My dad's MDX is a bluish gray (I like that one) and my mom's 7 is gunmetal gray (also really like).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 07, 2010, 06:59:48 PM
Sporty, my mom had a silver Accord that was the same gen as the one in your sig. The paint peeled pretty badly, though. I think I remember that being a big problem with silver paint (but I could just be imagining that...)
It was either beige, or the SE version. Do you remember if it had a black leather interior?

I suppose it would be boring if it were a more popular color

Colonel Cadillac

My family has dark blue, dark blue, dark blue, and light blue :lol:

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 07, 2010, 08:07:31 PM
My family has dark blue, dark blue, dark blue, and light blue :lol:

So now that you have an A4, does the TSX just sit around?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

93JC

It's ALUMINUM METALLIC MICA, motherfucker!

(I wanted Celestial Blue or Velocity Red, but they didn't have any in stock and silver wasn't a dealbreaker.)