10 year update on my '01 Escape

Started by FoMoJo, December 08, 2010, 02:01:59 PM

FoMoJo

I had joined the Road & Track and Car & Driver forums back then thinking I would get some input on the (new) Escape.  Not much was forthcoming.  Someone, I can't remember who, tried to talk me into buying a Pontiac Aztek. :confused:  I'm glad I didn't take his advice. 

It's a 3.0 litre Duratec with 4spd. automatic and AWD.

Anyways, I've had it for 10 years now with the following results:

• 253,000 Kilometers (approx.).
  • 2 pad replacements on the front - including rotor replacement once.
  • 1 shoe replacement on the rear - drums turned.
  • A couple of wheel bearing replacements.
  • A couple of sway bar link replacements.
  • Ball joints needed replacing so I replaced the entire control arm assembly as the bushings were starting to crack and it was cheaper (labour) to get the entire assembly rather than have the guy take the originals apart and replace just the ball joints and bushings.
  • Tie rod ends were replaced.
  • On the third 2nd of tires +1.  The original Firestones were crap so I replaced them with Hankooks.  They've been really good.
  • Replaced 1 coil pack.
  • That's about it other than the usual oil/filter/coolent/transmission maintenance.
  • Replaced the flex brake lines on the front wheels.

As of now, the body is rust free as I've had it treated with Krown each year; although there are a few stone chips.  Other than the 1 coil pack, the engine has been purrfect as is the entire drive train. 

Things I've not replaced that I expected to are:

• battery
  • head lamps
  • internal lights
  • tail lights
  • any lights except for 2 brake lights

All in all, it's been really, really good and it runs so well that I might keep it a few more years.  I would mention that average overall fuel consumption is about 10 litres per 100 kilometers (about 23.5 US mpg.).  Mileage is quite good on the highway but not-so-good in the city.  Most of my driving has been mixed and biased towards highway.  As for general performance, comfort and handling, it's a bit noisy compared to the average car, the ride height suits me, the platform has always been tight so the handling is pretty good for a CUV, never a problem in snow - even up to the bumpers - and the general layout is good for carrying stuff; even 2 by 4s and assorted building products.

I've been quite pleased with it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

CJ

FoMoJo

Quote from: CJ on December 08, 2010, 04:49:47 PM
You've not replaced the battery?
Nope.  I'm not going to either until it dies.

I would also add that I've never experienced a time when the engine did not fire immediately so there's never been any degradation of charge.  As well, most of my driving, prior to retirement, was a 110km round trip to work which was mainly country roads.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Mustangfan2003

10 years without needing a new battery is good.  My car is a 2002 and had to replace the battery in 2007.  Turned out the batter had a hairline crack in it, if not for that I might still be using the factory battery. 

The Pirate

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 08, 2010, 05:39:42 PM
Nope.  I'm not going to either until it dies.

I would also add that I've never experienced a time when the engine did not fire immediately so there's never been any degradation of charge.  As well, most of my driving, prior to retirement, was a 110km round trip to work which was mainly country roads.

That's really impressive.  My car is a 2001 as well, I bought a battery for it today.  It's at least the 3rd battery, as the one in there when I bought the car wasn't OEM.  

My commute is generally a lot shorter than yours, though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Mustangfan2003

So do you keep the Escape in a garage?  I know heat and cold are bad for batteries and keeping it indoors about half the time should extend the life. 

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on December 08, 2010, 02:40:24 PM
w?t

Wh?t c?n I s?y? Writing English on a cell phone with Norwegi?n keybo?rd is tricky business.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

Quote from: mzziaz on December 09, 2010, 12:11:37 AM
Wh?t c?n I s?y? Writing English on a cell phone with Norwegi?n keybo?rd is tricky business.
Skrive norsk p? en engelsk tastatur er enda vanskeligere!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2010, 12:26:39 AM
Skrive norsk p? en engelsk tastatur er enda vanskeligere!

Google translate?
Cuore Sportivo

omicron

Nethead

FoMoJo:  You should be damned pleased with it!  You take good care of your vehicles.  What brand of battery is in it?  I want those for all my vehicles!

Please explain Krown.  'Sounds like pretty good stuff!  And if you recommend it, that's all it takes to convince me it's a product/service that would be great for Tyrannosaurus Flex.

I'll bet you Canadians can get Weed V-bar tire chains :wub: easily, the best chains I ever had.  But costly here--so much so that I don't think they're sold in the lower 48 anymore.  I tried to buy some back around '03 or '04 and finally had to call the manufacturers when no local places carried them anymore :(.  The manufacturer recommended a Canadian chain of auto parts outlets, but the outlets said shipping costs would be more than the chains--and the chains alone were big bucks :cry:.  Furthermore, BlowCougs doesn't live in Canada--which raises property values there to unheard of heights...

The Car & Driver forums have proven to be a waste of cyberspace.  
So many stairs...so little time...

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 08, 2010, 02:01:59 PM
I had joined the Road & Track and Car & Driver forums back then thinking I would get some input on the (new) Escape.  Not much was forthcoming.  Someone, I can't remember who, tried to talk me into buying a Pontiac Aztek. :confused:  I'm glad I didn't take his advice. 

It's a 3.0 litre Duratec with 4spd. automatic and AWD.

Anyways, I've had it for 10 years now with the following results:

I've been quite pleased with it.

You should be.  I liked my 2001 XLS, 4 cyl 5 speed.  The alternator went out at 110,000 miles and I replaced the rotors, pads and tires (twice) other than that it was bullet proof.  Sometimes I'm sorry I traded it for the 6; it was quite a useful hauler.  10 years from the battery is stupendous.  At this point you should keep the escape until it dies of something terminal. 

SVT666

93JC

?rly?

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

93JC

Quote from: mzziaz on December 09, 2010, 02:15:34 PM
Thi? i? g?tting ?ut ?f h?nd.

βųĺłŝħĩṭ ??ṣĥ?ḹė: ?? ?ńẽ ľĭķęś ťħ? ṭǜň? ḥ?ř

Laconian

˙ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oʇ buıʌoɯ ɯ,ı 'ʇıɥs puɐ sɹǝʇʇǝן ʎzɐɹɔ ɹnoʎ ʞɔnɟ

FoMoJo

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 08, 2010, 10:42:25 PM
So do you keep the Escape in a garage?  I know heat and cold are bad for batteries and keeping it indoors about half the time should extend the life. 
We've had the garage for about 5 years.  Prior to that it was parked outside.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Nethead on December 09, 2010, 06:16:15 AM
FoMoJo:  You should be damned pleased with it!  You take good care of your vehicles.  What brand of battery is in it?  I want those for all my vehicles!

Please explain Krown.  'Sounds like pretty good stuff!  And if you recommend it, that's all it takes to convince me it's a product/service that would be great for Tyrannosaurus Flex.

I'll bet you Canadians can get Weed V-bar tire chains :wub: easily, the best chains I ever had.  But costly here--so much so that I don't think they're sold in the lower 48 anymore.  I tried to buy some back around '03 or '04 and finally had to call the manufacturers when no local places carried them anymore :(.  The manufacturer recommended a Canadian chain of auto parts outlets, but the outlets said shipping costs would be more than the chains--and the chains alone were big bucks :cry:.  Furthermore, BlowCougs doesn't live in Canada--which raises property values there to unheard of heights...

The Car & Driver forums have proven to be a waste of cyberspace. 
I never really looked at the make of the battery.  I'll check and let you know.

Krown is a rustproofing product that they recommend using once a year.  It costs about a 100 bucks per application.  The stuff 'creeps' along the surface where it's sprayed; on the inside of rockers, etc. and the underside of the vehicle.  The downside is that it often creeps onto the exterior if you don't wash the vehicle often enough.  I don't know if it's available in the US but I expect that it's similar to most rustproofing products.  Don't really know if its worth spraying your Flex if you don't get snow onto which they dump tens of thousands of tons of salt each year.

As for tire chains, I don't even know if they're legal here anymore; other than in remote areas.  Same with studs.  However, with the AWD, they're really not needed; even though we live in a rural area where there has been a couple of feet of snow (+) on occasion.  The 'locking' feature of the AWD comes in handy then because it provides a solid lock-up in the coupler rather than only intermittant lock-up when front/rear differentiation is detected when it's on auto. 

Mustangfan2003

BTW I believe that the Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls. 

Byteme

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 09, 2010, 05:39:06 PM
BTW I believe that the Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls. 

the one in my Mazda 6 was.

FoMoJo

Quote from: EtypeJohn on December 09, 2010, 06:49:33 AM
You should be.  I liked my 2001 XLS, 4 cyl 5 speed.  The alternator went out at 110,000 miles and I replaced the rotors, pads and tires (twice) other than that it was bullet proof.  Sometimes I'm sorry I traded it for the 6; it was quite a useful hauler.  10 years from the battery is stupendous.  At this point you should keep the escape until it dies of something terminal. 
For my need, the Escape has been very useful for carrying stuff like lumber, plants, large boxes of golfballs and other stuff that would not conveniently fit into a car.  For stuff that won't fit inside, I have a trailer that I use for hauling loads of mulch, large bushes & trees, my lawnmowers, etc. and the occasional trip (to Ottawa) when my daughter needs some furniture or other large objects moved there or back here.

The battery life has surprised me a bit.  I've had other vehicles where I got as much as 5 or 7 years but 10 and still going is impressive; especially in this climate.  As for keeping it until it dies, I've thought of doing that but I'd really like to trade it for a Ranger before they stop making them.  As well, I saw this blood red Mustang convertible, with a white top, in the local dealership that I started drooling over.  Haven't had such an urge to buy for a long time.

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2010, 04:05:36 PM
˙ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oʇ buıʌoɯ ɯ,ı 'ʇıɥs puɐ sɹǝʇʇǝן ʎzɐɹɔ ɹnoʎ ʞɔnɟ

:clap: