Sports/Sporty cars at work (or school)

Started by mazda6er, September 12, 2005, 05:27:23 PM

mazda6er

QuoteWhy is a pharmacist driving a Sunfire? They make like $100k a year.
Because everyone knows you need to make 250k a year to have a nice car.
:lol:  Were did I hear that from?
Ha ha...If you make 250K a year you can surely buy a very nice car.  If you make 100K a year, I bet you won't drive a 90K car.  Make fun, but don't come to me when your paycheck can't cover your expenses.
Where'd you get the idea that I want a freakin' AMG or something? Right now I'm only considering low-rung sports cars (i.e. 350Z, Mustang) and entry-level lux sedans(i.e. TSX, 325i). 90% of the people in America could "afford" those cars, and I should be making enough to do so comfortably. If I'm not, then my plans will be adjusted, that's the way it goes. Surely as an auto-enthusiast and someone of a less-than-plebian background you don't see yourself driving an econocar, right?  <_<
Roughly,  you could spend about half your gross annual income on a car, not more, unless you have other savings/investments/other forms of income.  And if you think 90% of America can afford those cars, you better tell that the millions of people who make 10-15K a year.  

No, I don't see myself driving an econocar, unless it's a fun econocar, and I used it as a daily driver.  Then again, my first car was a new E320.
There's a reason why I italicized could and put quotes around afford. I've seen GTOs parked in front of $60,000 houses.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

QuoteWhy is a pharmacist driving a Sunfire? They make like $100k a year.
Because everyone knows you need to make 250k a year to have a nice car.
:lol:  Were did I hear that from?
Ha ha...If you make 250K a year you can surely buy a very nice car.  If you make 100K a year, I bet you won't drive a 90K car.  Make fun, but don't come to me when your paycheck can't cover your expenses.
Where'd you get the idea that I want a freakin' AMG or something? Right now I'm only considering low-rung sports cars (i.e. 350Z, Mustang) and entry-level lux sedans(i.e. TSX, 325i). 90% of the people in America could "afford" those cars, and I should be making enough to do so comfortably. If I'm not, then my plans will be adjusted, that's the way it goes. Surely as an auto-enthusiast and someone of a less-than-plebian background you don't see yourself driving an econocar, right?  <_<
Roughly,  you could spend about half your gross annual income on a car, not more, unless you have other savings/investments/other forms of income.  And if you think 90% of America can afford those cars, you better tell that the millions of people who make 10-15K a year.  

No, I don't see myself driving an econocar, unless it's a fun econocar, and I used it as a daily driver.  Then again, my first car was a new E320.
There's a reason why I italicized could and put quotes around afford. I've seen GTOs parked in front of $60,000 houses.
And I've seen Cavaliers in front of half million dollar houses.

What a person can do with his or her income is different from what he or she chooses to do.  I've seen Corvettes in front of houses with a lower sticker price.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

What's the average price of a full-sized pickup or a mid-size SUV? How many of those do you see on the road everyday? Last time I checked, they're two of the biggest market segments out there. Case closed.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

QuoteWhat's the average price of a full-sized pickup or a mid-size SUV? How many of those do you see on the road everyday? Last time I checked, they're two of the biggest market segments out there. Case closed.
You're talking about many people who have a basis of income, not right out of college.  Families with multiple incomes are MUCH, MUCH different than a single sub 30 year old with little to no savings.  

Dumbass.  The case was closed a long time ago, you're just to dim to realize it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

QuoteWhat's the average price of a full-sized pickup or a mid-size SUV? How many of those do you see on the road everyday? Last time I checked, they're two of the biggest market segments out there. Case closed.
You're talking about many people who have a basis of income, not right out of college.  Families with multiple incomes are MUCH, MUCH different than a single sub 30 year old with little to no savings.  

Dumbass.  The case was closed a long time ago, you're just to dim to realize it.
Dude, chill. You keep thinking I mean that the minute I graduate I'm heading to the dealer. Not so. I'm very conservative with my money--other than food, I buy practically nothing.  I'm not stupid enough to live beyond my means.  I've had the same $20 bill in my wallet for probably a month. Sorry to irk you though, I thought we were having a spirited disagreement, I didn't want to really make you angry.  :)
--Mark

Raza

Dude, chill. You keep thinking I mean that the minute I graduate I'm heading to the dealer. Not so. I'm very conservative with my money--other than food, I buy practically nothing.  I'm not stupid enough to live beyond my means.  I've had the same $20 bill in my wallet for probably a month. Sorry to irk you though, I thought we were having a spirited disagreement, I didn't want to really make you angry.  :)
I'm tired of having idiotic arguments, sorry I snapped.  I blame it on Ragmuffin.

If you can put away money, then you're good.  But if you have to pay rent, which in any city can eat up alot of your monthly income, you'll be in trouble.  The key is saving.  If you can do that, then you're sitting in butter.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

--Mark

ifcar

It is really very good to have substantial savings. I'm really looking forward to my retirement. B)

mazda6er

QuoteIt is really very good to have substantial savings. I'm really looking forward to my retirement. B)
I knew it, your saving up for that BMW van!  :lol:  B)  
--Mark

Raza

QuoteIt is really very good to have substantial savings. I'm really looking forward to my retirement. B)
A lot of post college grads get into the renting cycle, and don't realize that the money you pay for rent is gone--it can't do anything for you.  As gruesome as it may sound, it makes sense to either live at home for a year or so, or have many flatmates after college.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

A lot of post college grads get into the renting cycle, and don't realize that the money you pay for rent is gone--it can't do anything for you.  As gruesome as it may sound, it makes sense to either live at home for a year or so, or have many flatmates after college.
True, I really want to buy a house unfortunately considering a decent sized home that's not in the ghettos is half a million and even a decent sized home in the ghettos is close to that amount.. I dont' have enough for a down payment anytime soon.  

But then with the new job coming along.. things might change.  

Raghavan

I'm tired of having idiotic arguments, sorry I snapped.  I blame it on Ragmuffin.

If you can put away money, then you're good.  But if you have to pay rent, which in any city can eat up alot of your monthly income, you'll be in trouble.  The key is saving.  If you can do that, then you're sitting in butter.
WTF? i didn't even have anything to do with this argument!

Raza

True, I really want to buy a house unfortunately considering a decent sized home that's not in the ghettos is half a million and even a decent sized home in the ghettos is close to that amount.. I dont' have enough for a down payment anytime soon.  

But then with the new job coming along.. things might change.
Going into a house as a place to live is good, buying it as an investment is better.  

In my area, which has ridiculously high real estate prices, a small house on a quarter or third acre is 300K.  If it's a decent sized house on an acre in Council Rock, expect to pay 700K to a cool mil.  

Buying a house is hard.  Paying for a house is hard.  Maintaining a house is hard.

There are up and coming places near Philadelphia that have good prices and expect an upturn soon, so they're investments.  I don't really know the real estate market where you are, so I can't give any concrete advice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Yeah, but you're at the centre of most stupid arguments on this forum.

:)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

:angry:  

BMWDave

Thats why you always buy, you never rent a house unless you absolutely need to.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

:lol:  :P  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I knew it, your saving up for that BMW van!  :lol:  B)
I'll probably keep living the same way I do now on most levels, including owning a crappy car. But I'll be able to do that without needing to work at all (that's the plan, anyway).

More time for the SPIN, if the Internet isn't replaced by then.  

Raghavan

:lol:  :P
:rolleyes:  

TBR

Or just buy a house, in most areas the payment on a 30 year mortage for a small house will be comparable to the monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment (or at least it is here). Now, that might not be the best thing to do when you are right out of college, since people tend to move around a lot. But IMHO everyone should "own" a house by the time they are 30. And, a 100k income is plenty for a $40-45000 car.  

Raza

Or just buy a house, in most areas the payment on a 30 year mortage for a small house will be comparable to the monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment (or at least it is here). Now, that might not be the best thing to do when you are right out of college, since people tend to move around a lot. But IMHO everyone should "own" a house by the time they are 30. And, a 100k income is plenty for a $40-45000 car.
45K is under the 50% mark of a 100K income, so yeah, I agree with you.

And I also agree with you about the house thing, though I might not take my own advice.  I can get obsessive about lawns.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Get a townhouse in a neighborhood with community lawncare.  

Run Away

Nicest car in my HS parking lot:
RS200's Mustang
A friend's '71 Dodge Coronet

That's it. I probably had the third most fun car there, since the rest were minivans, Foci, Aleros and Sunfires owned by their parents.

NomisR

Going into a house as a place to live is good, buying it as an investment is better.  

In my area, which has ridiculously high real estate prices, a small house on a quarter or third acre is 300K.  If it's a decent sized house on an acre in Council Rock, expect to pay 700K to a cool mil.  

Buying a house is hard.  Paying for a house is hard.  Maintaining a house is hard.

There are up and coming places near Philadelphia that have good prices and expect an upturn soon, so they're investments.  I don't really know the real estate market where you are, so I can't give any concrete advice.
For 300k, you can buy a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft condemned house in the worst area of Los Angeles, this may be some slight exaggeration but not too far from the truth.  Of course housing prices goes down farther you get away from downtown but it also means commuting 2+ hours to get to work.  Buying houses would definately be a good investment but you need money to actually invest.  To be able to own a median priced house in California, you need to make over 100k, i don't know how people can be buying houses like this, it's gotta go down eventualy.

TBR

Do rent costs not go up in porportion to purchase prices there?  

NomisR

Well rent is pretty expensive here.  Two Bedroom in a neighborhood for housing prices of 750k+ is approximately 1500/month depending on apt and a house is probably 2kish.

But you have to remember that to buy a house, you still need to have downpayment and higher the price, more money you need to put down.

TBR

True. High real estate prices is one of the reasons I have no desire to live in Ca, the other being all the liberals ;).

Raza

In my area, which has ridiculously high real estate prices, a small house on a quarter or third acre is 300K.  If it's a decent sized house on an acre in Council Rock, expect to pay 700K to a cool mil. 

Buying a house is hard.  Paying for a house is hard.  Maintaining a house is hard.

There are up and coming places near Philadelphia that have good prices and expect an upturn soon, so they're investments.  I don't really know the real estate market where you are, so I can't give any concrete advice.
For 300k, you can buy a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft condemned house in the worst area of Los Angeles, this may be some slight exaggeration but not too far from the truth.  Of course housing prices goes down farther you get away from downtown but it also means commuting 2+ hours to get to work.  Buying houses would definately be a good investment but you need money to actually invest.  To be able to own a median priced house in California, you need to make over 100k, i don't know how people can be buying houses like this, it's gotta go down eventualy.
As an investment, you'd probably have to look into distressed properties, which you can get on the cheap, but then to fix them up and resell or rent them, it would take more money, or a whole lot of do-it-yourself time and work.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

No real sports cars here.

There's my A4, an E46 325i and a new A4 convertible, a couple Altimas, a couple Scions, and a few Accords....

Champ

I'm doing the whole live with my parents thing... Not having to pay rent is outstanding, and we have a big enough house that we don't get in the way of each other.  Plus I have a very good relationship with my mom.  And my dad let's me drive the S2000 :D

I'll probably look at moving out once the rest of my friends get out of college.  See if any of them want to look at rooming with each other.