Need new tires for 2004 Accord

Started by Maxxum, December 16, 2010, 09:44:27 AM

Maxxum

Folks!
Its tire shopping time again. The car came with stock Michelins which were not that great IMO. In 2007, at a mileage of 55K I changed to Yokohama AVIDs and they were pretty good at least in the beginning. Now at 103K I think it is time to get a new set. My preferences are:

1) Safety. I drive with an infant, so that is even more important now. And I hate skidding those front wheels when there is even light rain and I am starting off from a full stop. So any tires that can minimise that would be great.

2) Wear. With condition no. 1 satisfied, I would like to have a tire with decent tread wear. The yokohamas lasted about 50K which I think is good.

3) Road noise etc. are not super important.

here are the choices from tirerack.

What do people think about Sumitomo? at $69 each, they are one of the cheapest.

What is the difference between "performance all season" "high performance all season", "ultra high performance all season" "standard touring" "Grand touring" and "passenger all season"?

Thanks.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")

CJ

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Great grip, quiet, smooth, not too expensive.

The Pirate

The family of performance all-seasons are going to offer more grip, at the expense of performance in snow, and possibly worse tread life. 

That being said, I'm a big fan of the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid (it's a high performance all-season), but does pretty well in snow.  Two dollars more per tire than the Sumitomo on Tire Rack.

Pilot Exalto A/S is a decent tire too, but doesn't appear to be available in your size.  The Michelin Primacy is, and is supposed to be pretty good.  I don't know that it's worth $50 more per tire than the Potenza G019, which would be my choice.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rich

If you want to be the safest, why don't you go with a summer/winter tire setup?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT