Rat rodding

Started by the Teuton, December 20, 2010, 04:05:49 PM

the Teuton

What do you think of them? Here's a mix of modern and old rat rods. The concept remains the same, but it's being applied to a new generation.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/12/19/speedhunters-awards-2010-gt-gt-best-rat.aspx

For, against, art, or monstrosity?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

I will probably own some sort of rat rod in my lifetime. I like how people just do whatever they like, which is what hot rodding started out as anyway. I don't like the modern ones are much because they just look like wrecked cars sometimes and I think it's silly to ruin a new car, but some are cool. I'm not a fan of the cars being completely rusty, either. I just don't like having to touch rust, so I wouldn't want one of those. :lol: A little bit is fine, but there's a limit.

FoMoJo

Quote from: the Teuton on December 20, 2010, 04:05:49 PM
What do you think of them? Here's a mix of modern and old rat rods. The concept remains the same, but it's being applied to a new generation.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/12/19/speedhunters-awards-2010-gt-gt-best-rat.aspx

For, against, art, or monstrosity?
I like the quintessential Rat Rods; something like this...

No money was spent on anything that didn't make it go faster.  I see more and more of them turning up at the local 'Cruise' nights.

As for something like this...

It was known by another name...POS!
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Speed_Racer

The guy who did my exhaust owns a mid 50's Chevy Suburban rat rod. It's sick - flat black, loud pipes, and some dish wheels.

I think rat rods, while not looking as nice as show cars, have a lot more character when 'done right' . If done wrong, they just look like a heap of crap.

280Z Turbo

It's not really my thing, especially when it's done on purpose.

On the other hand, I guess it's more interesting than the formulaic 350 chevy V8 + turbo 350 trans + fiberglass body combo that you see WAY too much of.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 20, 2010, 09:47:30 PM
It's not really my thing, especially when it's done on purpose.

I was thinking about intentionally oxidizing PlastiCar, but it might not work that well on such a vehicle. Too much of what's beneath is already oxidizing as it is.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on December 20, 2010, 09:49:26 PM
I was thinking about intentionally oxidizing PlastiCar, but it might not work that well on such a vehicle. Too much of what's beneath is already oxidizing as it is.

The hood is steel, that's all you need for the baller VW look.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 20, 2010, 09:53:01 PM
The hood is steel, that's all you need for the baller VW look.

True, but my car is the color of oxidized copper anyway.

SVT666

I've never understood rat rods.  Totally, not my thing.

hotrodalex

That's one of my favorite cars. It has all of the rat rod styling cues, but it's perfectly clean and polished.

What I like about rat rods is all of the unique details. I think that's part of what's missing in the newer cars. The car above has hundreds of rivets, all done by the owner. The grill is made out of bullets (or made to look that way). And it goes on and on and on. Same with a lot of other cars of the type.

Rupert

I think of rat rods more as a form of automotive sculpture than something to drive.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

omicron

Quote from: Rupert on December 21, 2010, 02:03:25 AM
I think of rat rods more as a form of automotive sculpture than something to drive.

+1

There are several examples in TootToot's link that are not rat-rods by any means, but those that are have a unique statement of purpose that is oddly appealing. As with any movement, exquisite proportion is by far the most crucial element of all - of body and of detail.

ChrisV

Let's also remember, there is a rift between rat rods and traditional hot rodders, even though at first glance, there seem to be a lot of similarities. Rat rods are often artistic, shock value creations, wheras traditional hot rods (which can also have patina, but never faked patina) are more about how a custom or hot rod might have looked back in the day as it was either under construction or otherwise in progress.

Rat rods don't have to be rusty, but they are almost never shiny show cars, and their purpose is to both shock bystanders and be something that you can drive without concern over getting damaged (as they kind of start out that way). I like 'em.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sportyaccordy

Not my bag, but OK if they're period correct. That E28 & various Golfs I see with the rat rod treatment are awful

shp4man

I like rat rods and bobbers. Someday I'm going to build a Sportster bobber like this one.

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 21, 2010, 01:38:26 PM
Not my bag, but OK if they're period correct. That E28 & various Golfs I see with the rat rod treatment are awful

Rusty Slammington (the BMW) is pretty much awesome.

hotrodalex

Quote from: shp4man on December 22, 2010, 01:20:34 PM
I like rat rods and bobbers. Someday I'm going to build a Sportster bobber like this one.

:rockon:

The only non-sport bikes I'll think about owning are bikes like that; old school, badass type bikes. Other than that, I'm not a fan of Harleys and whatnot.

ChrisV

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 21, 2010, 01:38:26 PM

Rat rods are not period correct. That's why they are rat rods not traditional hot rods (which ARE period correct). Like I said, there's a big rift bewtween the two factions (head on over to the HAMB for a good taste on how traditional, period correct roders feel about rat rods: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5 )

And I love the E28, especially now with the chopped top and custom interior (all done on a nearly zero dollar budget)

L. ed foote

I really dig that BRAT
Member, Self Preservation Society

ChrisV

A couple more for your perusal:

hounddog

I generally like them.

My only issue is that they do not destroy classic vehicles which are either in restorable condition, or destroy good classics.

Take a non-restorable junker and slam it?  Fine. 

Take a perfectly good classic Cadillac, or like that Lincoln with suicide doors, and slam it?  Go to hell.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hotrodalex

I just looked at some of the "new rat rods" and most of them just look like they got in a fender bender. Not cool looking at all, just look like crappy cars. The old cars are rusty, but they don't just look like some 16 yr old wrecked their car. The only new one I liked from the OP is Rusty Slammington.

Rupert

I like the Jeep and the bottom on in ChrisV's post.