Lamborghini LP670-4 Super Veloce
0 (0%)
Ford SVT Raptor
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 04, 2011, 12:13:05 AM

SVT666

SVT666

I think it's really hard to argue against the Mustang.  Great looks, incredible sound, and M3 performance for 50% of M3 money.

CALL_911

The Sonata Turbo sure is compelling, but I'd have to give it to the Mustang.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

I'm going to be an unthusiast and vote for the Hyundai. It's the biggest game changer up there.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 28, 2010, 12:33:07 AM
I'm going to be an unthusiast and vote for the Hyundai. It's the biggest game changer up there.

Yeah, we've never seen an ugly midsize sedan before.  It's hard to make a case for any of these cars.  The GTI is a warmed over version of last year's car, the R8 V10 is more of the same, who gives a fuck about the Volvo XC60 or Jeep Grand Cherokee, the 3 series is largely unchanged, the CTS-V is interesting, I suppose, but doesn't mean anything on the larger scale, the M56 is just ugly, the Lamborghini is cool, but simply a goodbye for a model that's been around for a long while, and the SVT Raptor falls into the same category as the CTS-V. 

The Mustang really is the only thing out there that is interesting, has potential to mean something in the marketplace, and is much improved over the last model.  It gets my vote.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

I pick the Sonata over the Mustang since it's in a much more cut throat category competition wise. It's unseating the perennial champ, the Accord. This is a car company 10 years ago that we would have laughed our asses off if anyone were to insinuate that they'd be making a car that would become such a competent mid sizer, or one of the best ones ( despite its looks ).

The Mustang has made quite a leap in performance. However, much much less competition.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

CALL_911

I'm a huge fan of the Sonata's looks.

That said, I'm not sure how well it (or the CLS and the CC, for that matter) will age.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Northlands

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 28, 2010, 10:15:45 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Sonata's looks.

That said, I'm not sure how well it (or the CLS and the CC, for that matter) will age.

Some angles I like. I'm still iffy on the straight on front look. Either way, this car gets noticed and I think it's working for Hyundai overall.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

GoCougs

Nah, the Mustang is too old being in its 7th model year.

The Sonata is not as good as the Accord.

Most everything else is just not that big a deal.

I'm going CTS-V.

CJ

Drive a new Accord and then drive a new Sonata.  The Sonata's better.  I've driven the non-turbo Sonata and my Granddad's 2010 Accord EX-L V6.  The Sonata was just better.

SVT666

Quote from: CJ on December 28, 2010, 10:21:48 PM
Drive a new Accord and then drive a new Sonata.  The Sonata's better.  I've driven the non-turbo Sonata and my Granddad's 2010 Accord EX-L V6.  The Sonata was just better.
You're wrong.  Cougs says so.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

omicron

Oh, bosh. The Sonata is another near-enough effort from the Near-Enough Car Company.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2010, 10:19:23 PM
Nah, the Mustang is too old being in its 7th model year.
A seven year old car that now records near identical times around Willow Springs as an M3 driven by the same driver on the same day.  It's a seven year old car that does everything better than the 1 year old Camaro.  It's a seven year old car that got a major overhaul last year and completely new engines, transmissions, and suspension tuning this year. 

Laconian

Quote from: omicron on December 29, 2010, 07:01:24 AM
Oh, bosh. The Sonata is another near-enough effort from the Near-Enough Car Company.
That four cylinder engine is the real deal.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on December 29, 2010, 04:05:45 PM
A seven year old car that now records near identical times around Willow Springs as an M3 driven by the same driver on the same day.  It's a seven year old car that does everything better than the 1 year old Camaro.  It's a seven year old car that got a major overhaul last year and completely new engines, transmissions, and suspension tuning this year. 

Well, technically the Camaro is about 7 years old too. :lol:

2o6

The Optima fixes everything I hate about the Sonata's styling.

Sonata.

GoCougs

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 29, 2010, 12:23:45 AM
CTS-V  It's A world beater!

Yeah, pretty much. It is a stunning effort. A 556 hp Cadillac? Who would have ever thought??? Smokes the GT500, too.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 29, 2010, 04:43:23 PM
Yeah, pretty much. It is a stunning effort. A 556 hp Cadillac? Who would have ever thought??? Smokes the GT500, too.
Costs 20K more too. Stop trolling. Might as well say the Cayman R is a better sports car than the 370Z, as if for 20K more it isn't supposed to be

Rustang GT takes it. New Sonata is an enticing proposition, even without the turbo, TBH... within the midsize market anyway

MrH

Sonata.  Biggest game changer.  Think I'm going to test drive an Optima turbo soon.  I really, really like that car.  Wish the turbo came with a stick though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 29, 2010, 07:28:37 PM
Costs 20K more too. Stop trolling. Might as well say the Cayman R is a better sports car than the 370Z, as if for 20K more it isn't supposed to be

Rustang GT takes it. New Sonata is an enticing proposition, even without the turbo, TBH... within the midsize market anyway

I'm not sure I understand - you like the Cayman R better than the CTS-V then? They both cost about the same though.

Northlands

GoCougs

Or is it you like the 370Z over the Mustang GT? They too cost about the same. Plus the 370Z isn't in this year's running.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on December 29, 2010, 04:05:45 PM
It's a seven year old car that does everything better than the 1 year old Camaro.
Lets agree to disagree. the only thing that it really does better than the SS is handle. It's still not faster and the SS handles nearly as well and actually out lapped it in some comparos. I think the weight problem and the fact that the SS is a GM product hurts it more then the numbers suggest.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Rumor is the MY2012 Camaro will have a handling upgrade package that trades ride and road noise for handling (a la Mustang GT) but  unlike the Mustang GT it will remain an add-on sparing those who wish a comfier, quieter ride a la the base SS.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 29, 2010, 11:55:48 PM
Rumor is the MY2012 Camaro will have a handling upgrade package that trades ride and road noise for handling (a la Mustang GT) but  unlike the Mustang GT it will remain an add-on sparing those who wish a comfier, quieter ride a la the base SS.
I really wish you would go drive both cars so you can see how wrong you are...but you won't, because trolls are afraid to be wrong.  The Mustang's ride is barely stiffer than the Camaro's, and you would know that if you had actually driven either car.  The Mustang also lets through significantly less road and wind noise, which is something else you would know if you had ever driven them.  But trolls don't care about truth. 

SVT666

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 29, 2010, 10:47:32 PM
Lets agree to disagree. the only thing that it really does better than the SS is handle. It's still not faster and the SS handles nearly as well and actually out lapped it in some comparos. I think the weight problem and the fact that the SS is a GM product hurts it more then the numbers suggest.
The Camaro outlapped the Mustang in just one comparo IIRC, and that was the same comparo where the Mustang was an unusually slow example in acceleration too.  Every other comparo proves the opposite to be true.  The Mustang does everything better than the Camaro.  That may change next year when the Camaro gets an additional 30 hp and a handling package, but right now Mustang is King.  But if history has shown us anything, it is that Ford tends to make the upgrades given to special edition Mustangs to the GT not long after.  I predict the Camaro will have to do battle with a 440 hp Mustang GT in the not too distant future. 

Besides the next Mustang is rumoured to be significantly smaller and lighter than the current one and will be released in 2014 for the 50th anniversary.  I don't think you'll find Ford resting on their laurels much anymore. 

Hachee

I like and respect all these cars, and even desire a few, but I have to go with the Sonata here.

It's the biggest game changer, no question.  It's making huge inroads against its competitors, and is just such a big leap forward from its predecessor and for Hyundai's image.  It is not easy to overcome a bad reputation, and there's no question that this and other recent Hyundais are doing it, and not just because of price and warranty.  

The styling is subjective, but it seems to be love it or hate it, and I this has played a big part of its success.  Another pleasantly and innocuously styled version of this car would not have had the impact.  I happen to really like it, with the exception of the front.  I also agree that the Kia Optima looks unbelievably good.

But here's the kicker - I just drove one for a week.  I was visiting my dad in Florida, and he just bought a Limited turbo with nav.  When he told me he was looking at it to replace his Avalon, I thought he should look more closely at the Genesis or a Taurus.  But he loved the looks of the Sonata, and the value was too good to pass up.  I have to admit, the Sonata, at least in Limited Turbo trim, was really impressive, and I liked it far more than I thought I would.  Much quieter and smoother than I expected, handling was quite good, quality was excellent, and the cabin was really roomy and luxurious for a $28,000 car.  Far superior to a Camry and better than an Accord.  

Gets my vote.

GoCougs

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 29, 2010, 10:47:32 PM

In C&D's Lightening Lap at VIR just released the Mustang GT only beat the Camaro SS by 0.9 sec: 3:08.6 vs. 3:09.5, and the Camaro SS has a cushier and quieter ride.

Absolutely on the last statement - "Camaro" got a bad cultural reputation and GM is on the outs having been bailed out. But proof is in the pudding - it's a fantastic car, was a significant risk for GM to take, and has outsold the Mustang for 2010, even without a 'vert or Z-28.