Confession

Started by SVT666, January 03, 2011, 12:29:24 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on January 04, 2011, 01:06:40 PM
I'm pretty sure people are arguing for the use of "control" and not "performance".

Some are even arguing it's simply inadequate copy of it being done right.

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2011, 12:54:05 PM
No, I think the misguided impression is yours (and others) in the apparently belief paddle shifters in and of themselves somehow improve performance of a torque converter A/T.

:wtf:

Never ever ever did I say anything like that. My argument has consistently been about ergonomics and ease of use.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2011, 12:58:39 PM
So, uh, it is never the case that the wheel is turned and the transmission shifted?

I think the problem here is you and others don't understand how a torque converter A/T works, and were unawares of the typical ergonomics, performance and technology of cars deserving of paddle shifters.

Ah you're right, us not agreeing is merely the end product you having a better understanding of the matter at hand.

When's the last time you drove a car on a race track?

When's the last time you drove a car with a stick shift?

What about a torque converter makes paddle shifts pointless, but gated shifters OK?

Just keep quiet, you're not even making sense anymore.

For someone who only wants to deal with shifting gears during spirited or track driving, and NOT during the daily grind, a RESPONSIVE paddle shift auto is a great thing. They exist, and they work great for those who want what they can offer.

Manuals suck.

My next car will definitely have a double clutch gearbox and paddles.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 04, 2011, 02:37:34 PM
Ah you're right, us not agreeing is merely the end product you having a better understanding of the matter at hand.

When's the last time you drove a car on a race track?

When's the last time you drove a car with a stick shift?

What about a torque converter makes paddle shifts pointless, but gated shifters OK?

Just keep quiet, you're not even making sense anymore.

For someone who only wants to deal with shifting gears during spirited or track driving, and NOT during the daily grind, a RESPONSIVE paddle shift auto is a great thing. They exist, and they work great for those who want what they can offer.

Tracking a G37 with a torque converter A/T??? C'mon, the G37 paddles aren't designed for tracking simply because the whole of the car is not designed for tracking. It's a non-performance/non-ergonomic gimmick, and nothing more.

Your continued personal attacks serve to do nothing but further show your position has no merit (meaning, you are implicitly admitting that I'm right).

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on January 04, 2011, 01:57:05 PM
:wtf:

Never ever ever did I say anything like that. My argument has consistently been about ergonomics and ease of use.

But your argument rests on that premise; it has to, as there is no ergonomic or ease-of-use gain using paddles on a torque converter A/T.

2o6

The G37 was designed for some sort of on-road performance.

GoCougs

Quote from: 565 on January 04, 2011, 03:53:24 PM
Manuals suck.

My next car will definitely have a double clutch gearbox and paddles.

Now that the technology is filtering down to more plebian cars - GT-R, M3, S4, etc., I'm definitely open to the option, though admittedly I'd rather NOT have it in a German car.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2011, 04:00:39 PM
Tracking a G37 with a torque converter A/T??? C'mon, the G37 paddles aren't designed for tracking simply because the whole of the car is not designed for tracking. It's a non-performance/non-ergonomic gimmick, and nothing more.

Your continued personal attacks serve to do nothing but further show your position has no merit (meaning, you are implicitly admitting that I'm right).
The G37/370z paddles + transmission are indeed designed for tracking, just as the 370Z's rev match MT, both cars Brembo brake kits, LSDs and Sport/Track suspensions are....

Not to mention, ATs have pretty much approached the efficiency & shift times of DSGs/SMGs, at least from the likes of ZF. I don't see why you dont deem ATs as legitimate.

GoCougs

Nice deflection, sporty.

People who track a car do not buy the A/T version if a M/T version is available.

Paddle shifters on a slush box is a non-performance/non-ergonomic gimmick.

sportyaccordy

SVT, would you track a 7AT G37?

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 04, 2011, 06:06:44 PM
SVT, would you track a 7AT G37?
If I had a track nearby I would.  Would you?

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2011, 06:05:45 PM
Nice deflection, sporty.

People who track a car do not buy the A/T version if a M/T version is available.

Paddle shifters on a slush box is a non-performance/non-ergonomic gimmick.

You're an idiot.

Tave

In your warped mind, what do you think that video proves?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on January 04, 2011, 07:52:49 PM
In your warped mind, what do you think that video proves?

Gods, look at that shift delay. Why bother.

giant_mtb

The time it takes that thing to shift from when he pushes the paddle is about the same amount of time it takes me to complete the whole process (during spirited driving).  Not that it matters, but that lag is quite obnoxious.  I thought it was going to be better than that, but I guess it isn't even that much better/quicker than my brother's G35 manumatic.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2011, 08:03:46 PM

Reminds me of [insert any floor shift automatic]. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

I've never driven a paddle-shift car, but I can tell you, that if the thing is going to have an automatic, and it's a sporty car, I would want the paddles. Much easier, obviously.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

MX793

I've driven a DSG.  The gearbox itself was OK, although I always find it strange shifting gears without having to lift from the throttle or depress a clutch pedal.  Shifts happened promptly and were pretty smooth, though I found there was a bit of lurch during the downshifts when coming to a stop as though the clutches were engaging when the engine RPMs were a bit too high for the road speed (may have been a function of "sport mode").  Honestly, I didn't care for the paddles.  Not a fan of having to use one hand for upshifts and another for downshifts, granted you could still command shifts from the floor shifter, which I think I'd find more natural.  If I'm going to have a paddle shift, I think I'd prefer something like what's in WRC cars:  push the paddle to downshift, pull the paddle to upshift.

I also think there are some advantages to not having to shift through the gears sequentially in everyday driving situations.  It's not a huge deal (I do it on my bike), but it is kind of nice if cruising in a higher gear and you come suddenly on a stoplight to brake to a stop with the clutch in and then shift from 4th or 5th to 1st in a single action than having to rapidly pull the paddle 3 or 4 times to get back down to 1st gear.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2011, 08:03:46 PM
Are you for fucking real?  Or are you just being a douche for the sake of being a douche?

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on January 04, 2011, 08:55:45 PM
I also think there are some advantages to not having to shift through the gears sequentially in everyday driving situations.  It's not a huge deal (I do it on my bike), but it is kind of nice if cruising in a higher gear and you come suddenly on a stoplight to brake to a stop with the clutch in and then shift from 4th or 5th to 1st in a single action than having to rapidly pull the paddle 3 or 4 times to get back down to 1st gear.

Hence the prevalence of full-auto modes in all paddle shift-equiped cars.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on January 04, 2011, 09:12:22 PM
Are you for fucking real?  Or are you just being a douche for the sake of being a douche?

Take a guess. ;)

GoCougs

My gods, I'm hard pressed to think of a bigger poser "performance option" than paddles on a slushy.

:facepalm:

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2011, 09:23:49 PM
My gods, I'm hard pressed to think of a bigger poser "performance option" than paddles on a slushy.

Douche.

I fail to understand why.  When I want to shift myself, I have the option.  When I don't, I leave it in D. 

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2011, 09:23:49 PM

V6 in an Accord? ;)

CALL_911

Quote from: Rupert on January 04, 2011, 10:03:25 PM
V6 in an Accord? ;)

Except that actually provides a performance benefit, which automatically nullifies its "poser" status. I'm with Cougs on this one.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Paddle shift AT provides a performance benefit.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on January 04, 2011, 10:03:25 PM
V6 in an Accord? ;)

Which is quicker and faster than a N/A 944 by a healthy margin.

2o6