The return of the Grand Wagoneer

Started by Mustangfan2003, January 11, 2011, 08:34:41 AM

Mustangfan2003

Atomic

always liked the name and "status" the jgw exuded growing up. i heard that this, the new durango and jgc will be offered with diesels within two years. that would be awesome.

Mustangfan2003

I haven't heard about diesels, but that would be a good thing.  Does that mean the diesel for the Ram 1500 is back on?

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

I'm surprised to have seen so much excitement over this across various sites. It's just going to be a Durango with a Grand Cherokee face, and the Grand Cherokee is already dangerously close to being a Durango with a Grand Cherokee face.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ifcar on January 13, 2011, 01:23:58 PM
I'm surprised to have seen so much excitement over this across various sites. It's just going to be a Durango with a Grand Cherokee face, and the Grand Cherokee is already dangerously close to being a Durango with a Grand Cherokee face.

Yeah, I don't see much of a difference. Maybe if they market it as an extended GC w/ a third row it could work, but other than I think most people will just get a GC.

Hachee

As someone who "needs" a car with a third row (and I've already debated the minivan issue with myself, and basically, I've said, "fuck it, I don't want one, no matter how practical and sensible it is"), I totally see the appeal.

There's a big market for both the 5 seat and 7 seat "SUVs" (do we still call them that?), and I've always thought Jeep should play (again) in this arena.  Yes, the Durango is the 7 seat version, but based on badge alone, I think there are a lot of people who would get a Jeep but wouldn't get a Dodge.  Silly or not, it's true.  With a good diesel in a JGW, I would definitely get one of these.

CJ

Atomic

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 13, 2011, 04:03:41 PM
Yeah, I don't see much of a difference. Maybe if they market it as an extended GC w/ a third row it could work, but other than I think most people will just get a GC.
have they released any sketches? i heard that it will look for like the old wagoneer than the '11 jgc. i have been hunting, but (aside from the photoshopping), nothing more.

the new dodge durango and grand cherokee actually look quite distinctive and i do not see a lot of cross shopping among the two. jeep loyalists hardly stray.   

hotrodalex

Quote from: CJ on January 14, 2011, 05:59:43 PM
That would be awesome.

No one would buy it. I guarantee that. It's one of those things where everyone sees a picture and says "whoa! that's so cool!" yet when it comes to buy, they want something more "normal".

omicron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 13, 2011, 01:22:24 PM
Great photoshop here.  :ohyeah:

That's fantastic!

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 15, 2011, 09:30:10 PM
No one would buy it. I guarantee that. It's one of those things where everyone sees a picture and says "whoa! that's so cool!" yet when it comes to buy, they want something more "normal".

But annoyingly, you're probably right.

Atomic

brilliant and stunning! just a few clever tweaks here and there and it's good to go. not my thing, i will take a grand cherokee, but for a large family or hauler of a boat, camper or trailer, this should pull in plenty of buyers. a nice look (if it resembles the older model) that jeep loyalists and higher end suv types should gravitate towards.

r0tor

Based on the amount of coworkers who asked me if I had a wagoneer, I'd say the name still has a lot of appeal left in it for the 40yr and older crowd.... so this is probably a good move
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CJ

I still lust after one in dark blue with the faux wood siding and atan leather interior. :wub:

Atomic

Quote from: CJ on January 16, 2011, 12:04:40 PM
I still lust after one in dark blue with the faux wood siding and atan leather interior. :wub:
same here, but let's hope for a sturdy veneer and not that horrid contact paper that chevy used on the chevette.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Hachee on January 14, 2011, 01:54:02 PM
As someone who "needs" a car with a third row (and I've already debated the minivan issue with myself, and basically, I've said, "fuck it, I don't want one, no matter how practical and sensible it is" ), I totally see the appeal.

Sorry dood.  There might be counseling available for that somewheres.

Or better yet, get one but then do some customization to appease your conscience, and to brag to anyone that rags on you for it.
Will

r0tor

Like a lift kit and big knobby muddaz?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Hachee

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 17, 2011, 12:18:04 PM
Sorry dood.  There might be counseling available for that somewheres.

Or better yet, get one but then do some customization to appease your conscience, and to brag to anyone that rags on you for it.

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I think you misunderstood.  I don't want a minivan NOT because I give a shit about what people think or how they might rag on me - I don't want one because they're big, it's like driving a bus, and a 7 seat X5 totally meets our needs.  If you're into cars, and you drive an X5 and ANY minivan, I guarantee you're going to choose the X5.   

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on January 17, 2011, 04:21:09 PM
Like a lift kit and big knobby muddaz?
Like slammed with gold wire rims and a fart can.

ifcar

Quote from: Hachee on January 20, 2011, 03:30:26 PM
I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I think you misunderstood.  I don't want a minivan NOT because I give a shit about what people think or how they might rag on me - I don't want one because they're big, it's like driving a bus, and a 7 seat X5 totally meets our needs.  If you're into cars, and you drive an X5 and ANY minivan, I guarantee you're going to choose the X5.   

If you're getting something smaller, that makes sense. There's no inherent advantage in driving dynamics of something in the Durango class compared to a van; the Odyssey, for one, drives quite well.

CALL_911

Eh, I feel like they tried something like this with the Commander. Personally, I thought the Commander was awesome, but as its demise proved, the market did not.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 20, 2011, 05:04:40 PM
Eh, I feel like they tried something like this with the Commander. Personally, I thought the Commander was awesome, but as its demise proved, the market did not.
It was not awesome.  I drove it when we were looking for a new SUV and I was not enamored with it.  The cargo area load floor is also really high and the quality of the materials (including the carpeting) is very suspect.  It was a half-assed attempt.  The Grand Wagoneer will be the Durango wearing Grand Cherokee clothing which is a good thing.  Personally, I like the look of the Durango better than the GC though.

Nethead

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 13, 2011, 04:03:41 PM

Agreed.  What's really needed is a resurrection of the original (non-Grand) Cherokee in a Raptor format. 
So many stairs...so little time...

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on January 20, 2011, 04:57:59 PM
If you're getting something smaller, that makes sense. There's no inherent advantage in driving dynamics of something in the Durango class compared to a van; the Odyssey, for one, drives quite well.
i agree, iffy. my sister's new 2011 odyssey is awesome. the dodge is a totally different kind of people hauler that appeals to a different audience. i like both actually but despite carrying the same number of individuals (or close enough) i would buy one over the other for very different reasons.