***Classic Mazdas***

Started by cawimmer430, January 20, 2011, 04:26:29 PM

cawimmer430

So on Sunday I was up in Augsburg for a classic car show. I met the big boss of a Mazda dealership in Augsburg who apparently has a private collection of over 200 classic Mazda cars - all with rotary engines - in Germany. Virtually all these cars were not sold in Germany, but he imported them privately from Japan and had a few of his cars on display here at this show. Needless to say he's very passionate about Mazdas.

I see an opportunity for myself here regarding photoshoots. The man was very friendly and outgoing and readily agreed to some photoshoots. I plan on visiting him when the weather is nicer to see his private collection (he invited me) and persuade him to bring out a car for a photoshoot. Older Japanese cars are RARE in Germany (Europe in general) so this is a great way for myself to distinguish and differentiate myself from other car photographers: classic Japanese cars.

I also plan on talking to the boss of the Toyota Museum I visited awhile back in the hopes of getting him to agree to take out some old Celicas or Crowns and other interesting Toyotas for a photoshoot.

Here are the pictures.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT666

I never realized how much the Cosmo and reborn T-Bird look alike.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SVT666 on January 20, 2011, 04:29:55 PM
I never realized how much the Cosmo and reborn T-Bird look alike.

This Cosmo was from 1968 - and it looks quite futuristic. It could pass for some modern-day retro-designed vehicle. Pretty cool. I definitely hope that the big boss will take out this baby for a photoshoot. Need to scout for great locations in Augsburg though...

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

I forgot how much I adored the Cosmo Sport.

omicron

Gasp! Someone still has a Roadpacer! Amazing. I don't want to know how slow those things were, but what a fabulously Japanese anachronism.

cawimmer430

Quote from: omicron on January 20, 2011, 04:38:43 PM
Gasp! Someone still has a Roadpacer! Amazing. I don't want to know how slow those things were, but what a fabulously Japanese anachronism.

I was angered when I read this on Wikipedia.

----------------------------------------------------------

Mazda Roadpacer AP

The Mazda Roadpacer AP is a full-size sedan that was sold by Mazda Motor Corp. of Japan between 1975 and 1977. It was based on the Australian Holden HJ and HX series Premier.[1] Premiers were shipped to Japan without engines, and Mazda fitted a 1.3-liter 13B Wankel engine  into the bay. Although the engine produced 100 kilowatts (130 hp) and 138 newton metres (102 lb?ft) of torque, the Roadpacer weighed 1,575 kilograms (3,470 lb).

While the 13B produced more power than the Red series motors that powered the equivalent Holdens, the lack of torque meant performance was restrained with a 166-kilometre-per-hour (103 mph) top speed, poor acceleration and terrible fuel consumption. Contemporary reports suggest 9 mpg (26 L per 100 km).

While the Holden HJ Premier itself was well endowed with items, Mazda decided to add many more. Gadgets of note include a central locking system that activated when the car hit 10 km/h (6.2 mph), a chime system that activated at 90 km/h (56 mph), a dictation system and a stereo able to be controlled from both front and back seats.

The price was also considered high at 3.8 million yen (US$10,000) in 1975. This was about twice the price of a contemporary Mazda Cosmo. Originally intended as transport for high-ranking government officials, the car was sold in the wake of the first fuel crisis and was not a commercial success. Production ceased in 1977 with only 800 units sold.

The Roadpacer has the sole distinction of a General Motors product being fitted for production with a rotary engine.

Most were sold to government departments and were later crushed, meaning Roadpacers are rare nowadays; their counterpart model, the Holden Premier is considered a classic car in Australia.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Roadpacer_AP

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Crushed? CRUSHED? They could have given them to me! This car is lovely!  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

A lot of government official cars are crushed.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on January 20, 2011, 04:43:51 PM
A lot of government official cars are crushed.

What's up with governments crushing things!? 

Demonstrations, free speech...all crushed!  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

Man, those things look great. Great pictures, Wimmer.

That Cosmo. :wub:

Hell, I have a soft spot for the '90s Cosmo too.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

93JC

Laconian

Awesome!! I see very few of the older RX coupes these days. I think they've either rusted out or have been autocrossed into oblivion.

Mazda strikes me as a scrappy company that appreciates novel engineering. I've always liked them. For each generic blob passenger car they sold, they had a sports car to balance it out. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

I really can't wait to see the private collection of this guy. 200 exotic Mazdas all from Japan in Germany and just north of Munich? Oh yes!  :rockon:

More photos of the show here: http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=24068.new#new

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

:wub:

Mazda's probably my favorite Japanese make, along with Subaru. Over the years, they've just had it, well, right. Except for their mundane early 2000's lineup (barring the Miata and the Protege), Mazdas have had clean styling and delivered to enthusiasts.

Hell, despite all the shit it gets, I still really like today's "Nagare" styling.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

I'm surprised they found so many people to come out and look at a collection of just old Mazdas.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on January 20, 2011, 05:00:31 PM
I'm surprised they found so many people to come out and look at a collection of just old Mazdas.

There were more classic cars at this show, but part of the appeal of this stand was that these were rare and classic and historical Japanese cars. At most classic car shows in Europe Japanese cars are extremely rare.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 20, 2011, 04:58:04 PM

Hell, despite all the shit it gets, I still really like today's "Nagare" styling.

It looked so much better in concept than production. The new Mazda 5 is the worst offender.

Colin

Yes, indeed, some very rare Mazdas there............. none of the ones you depicted were sold in the UK, either, though Mazda did import a couple of the rotary engined Cosmo cars in the mid 1960s, I believe, to "test reaction".

I look fwd to seeing the pictures from his private collection - I bet them are some real rarities there.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on January 21, 2011, 06:02:21 AM
Yes, indeed, some very rare Mazdas there............. none of the ones you depicted were sold in the UK, either, though Mazda did import a couple of the rotary engined Cosmo cars in the mid 1960s, I believe, to "test reaction".

I look fwd to seeing the pictures from his private collection - I bet them are some real rarities there.

Not even the RX-7 was sold in the UK?

I look forward to seeing his collection as well!  :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

Oops.... yes, the RX7 was indeed sold in the UK.

Speed_Racer

That Premier looks so much like an 80's American Oldsmobile or something, that it's scary.

But boy is that Cosmo beautiful.

ChrisV

Love classic Mazdas. I had an R100, RX2 and a couple RX3s before moving to the RX7s. And friends with R100s, RX2s, RX3s, RX4s and RPUs, too. Fabulous little cars.

My RX3 race car:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Onslaught

A few years ago one of the only Cosmo cars in the US was on Ebay. I wanted it bad but it went for way too much. That and getting parts would be such a fucking bitch.
One day I hope to have a little collection of Mazda cars. All I need is a FD and Turbo FC RX-7 in a few years. I'd try to get this one if I didn't need to buy teeth.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=150551531410&viewitem=&category=6327#ht_964wt_1167