$500 for a Battery!?!?

Started by 850CSi, January 22, 2011, 10:17:50 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 13, 2011, 05:19:57 PM
I've heard pretty much all car batteries are made by johnson controls  :huh:

I'VE HATED JOHNSON CONTROLS EVER SINCE THEY TOOK DOWN THE COCONUT CART GAME.  :lockedup:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 850CSi on December 13, 2011, 03:14:43 PM
Ok, car is having trouble starting now as it gets colder outside. It probably hasn't dropped below 30 yet and it's having a hell of a time starting when I've left it overnight.

Probably just going to take it to Autozone and then I'll just take it to the stealership to have them reset the system (apparently only charge 30 min labor for this) so it charges right. Should any Group 48 battery work?

Yes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

I'd look into a K DCan cable if you want to register the battery yourself.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 13, 2011, 05:19:57 PM
I've heard pretty much all car batteries are made by johnson controls  :huh:

Maybe so.  Last time I looked they were making the OEM Motorcraft batteries as well. 

850CSi

Ok, I think I got ripped off today and I'm going to go back to the shop and demand a [partial] refund.

Dude quoted me $290 for an Interstate AGM battery, installed and coded. That's not a bad price considering these batteries run for around $200 and basically anywhere I go is going to charge me an hour's labor for the coding (and it probably took longer than that anyways)

This is what is now in my trunk:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-MTP-48~H6(Automotive+Truck).aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk~SearchGroup%7cmtp+48%7c3%7c%2cNy~True%2cNtpc~Disabled%2cNs~product+Type%7c101%7c1%7c&Title=Mega-Tron+Plus+-+85+Months+-+770+CCA

http://www.atbatt.com/product/23994.asp
^^The Interestate site isn't clear, but this site says this is NOT an AGM battery. Meaning (1) I was ripped off or blatantly lied to; and (2) my car is coded for the wrong battery.

OTOH...

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-MTP-48~H6(Automotive+Truck).aspx?dsNavigation=Nrc~id-4%2cN~21-4294492310-4294493502&Title=Mega-Tron+Plus+-+85+Months+-+770+CCA

So now I'm massively confused.

Any way to find out what's in there definitively? I'm thinking of just calling another shop or two to see what's up.

850CSi

http://www.interstatedealers.com/IBCatalog/common/automotive_spec.pdf

Now I think I have my answer. Next to the H6A is "AGM". Next to mine there isn't. But I need something concrete if I'm going to accuse these guys of basically not knowing WTF they're doing.

850CSi

Dudes at the shop are telling me they've had conversations with Interstate back and forth about this and that from what they know the H6 IS an AGM battery.

I'm going to call a couple other shops and see what they think. Interstate is kind of dumb for not having detailed specs on this stuff.

rohan

Coding?  :confused:

I went down to a local shop and ordered my battery.  Came in the wrong one of 2 options because the '05 v8 requires a longer version of the 90amp.  Took it back and got the right interstate one.  Took the old one out and put the new one in.  Took about 15 minutes- No coding no issues no nothing.  Not any problems since then either.  Did you get suckered on some sales pitch or am I quietly destroying my whip?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

hotrodalex

Quote from: rohan on December 19, 2011, 07:38:41 PM
Coding?  :confused:

I went down to a local shop and ordered my battery.  Came in the wrong one of 2 options because the '05 v8 requires a longer version of the 90amp.  Took it back and got the right interstate one.  Took the old one out and put the new one in.  Took about 15 minutes- No coding no issues no nothing.  Not any problems since then either.  Did you get suckered on some sales pitch or am I quietly destroying my whip?

I've read that as long as the battery is the same model as the stock one it should be fine. If it's not, it won't destroy the car. You might just lose battery life due to different charging specs.

850CSi

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 19, 2011, 07:48:12 PM
I've read that as long as the battery is the same model as the stock one it should be fine. If it's not, it won't destroy the car. You might just lose battery life due to different charging specs.

This.

And if it's an AGM battery it might get ruined very quickly - apparently those are very sensitive to overcharging.

Though I could see a scenario where it could cause some real trouble with the electrical systems if your car is set up to use a wet cell and you throw in an AGM, especially in a German car.

rohan

Fuck.  I just put it up for winter to.  I guess I'll be taking it down and making a trip to the dealership tomorrow.  I just had it there for extensive bodywork and recall fix it seems like they would have noticed a problem if there is one but I better make sure before I forget come next spring.  Appreciate the heads up.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

850CSi

Quote from: rohan on December 19, 2011, 08:00:01 PM
Fuck.  I just put it up for winter to.  I guess I'll be taking it down and making a trip to the dealership tomorrow.  I just had it there for extensive bodywork and recall fix it seems like they would have noticed a problem if there is one but I better make sure before I forget come next spring.  Appreciate the heads up.

I hestitate to tell you anything concrete because E60s might be a little different - hell if you merely swapped out an old battery for a new one and they're the same spec it's probably not worth getting the dealership to code - people seem to think the only thing that'll happen is your battery will wear out faster where that's the case. But if you're not sure it's probably better to play it safe.

Another alternative is to call around and see if a local shop will do it cheaper. People on E90 post have had this type of thing done for under $50.

sportyaccordy

Wow this makes me love Hondas that much more

GoCougs

I have to admit, though exceedingly anecdotal, this too has me doing the same (er, Acura actually).

850CSi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 22, 2011, 04:31:56 PM
Wow this makes me love Hondas that much more

Germans. :rolleyes:

FWIW the shop called me back and told me I was right; once I get back to NC I'll head back to gboro and they'll swap in a World Source AGM for me. Will probably get the cooling system tested there as I'm hopefully driving all the way down to south FL after new year's.

See stuff like this keeps me from getting a European car.

850CSi

Quote from: 565 on December 24, 2011, 12:12:38 AM
See stuff like this keeps me from getting a European car.

Really wouldn't have it any other way as long as it wasn't my dad's cash I use to fix these things...

TurboDan

Quote from: 850CSi on December 13, 2011, 03:14:43 PM
Ok, car is having trouble starting now as it gets colder outside. It probably hasn't dropped below 30 yet and it's having a hell of a time starting when I've left it overnight.

Probably just going to take it to Autozone and then I'll just take it to the stealership to have them reset the system (apparently only charge 30 min labor for this) so it charges right. Should any Group 48 battery work?

Excuse my ignorance, but why does a dealer have to "reset" anything after changing the battery? I've never heard of that, even in the number of premium car brands people in my family have previously driven. Only thing I ever ran into was my Saab requiring a numerical code for the stereo after a battery change.

JWC

Back in the 1990's, we used to have to "relearn" the idle after a battery change, but you could do it yourself by holding the RPM's at one spot for five minutes.

I know this sounds like the old "I used to walk to school everyday, it was uphill both ways", but I miss the days when a battery was sold for its warranty range more than anything else.  A 24 month battery was $19.95 plus tax.  (That was on sale of course.)

850CSi

Quote from: TurboDan on December 24, 2011, 02:35:29 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but why does a dealer have to "reset" anything after changing the battery? I've never heard of that, even in the number of premium car brands people in my family have previously driven. Only thing I ever ran into was my Saab requiring a numerical code for the stereo after a battery change.

Battery type/charging and MaH. If you're swapping a normal [lead acid] battery for a normal battery you need only give it a reset so it knows it's charging a new battery. It apparently adjusts to charge worn batteries over time and not putting a reset in could shorten the new battery's life. OTOH if you go lead acid -> AGM, you need the system charging map recoded because it's adjusted over time for a worn battery and AGMs are apparently very sensitive to overcharging and can be ruined easily.

At least that's my understanding of it. There are like 50 threads on this over at E90 post.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292200

JWC

To think, we used to worry about over-charging in regards to the alternator's life span, not the battery's.  I guess that began to change with the rise in battery prices.   A faulty battery will fry a alternator in short order.