Bad Habits You Have When Driving

Started by 2o6, January 29, 2011, 09:13:08 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: thewizard16 on January 30, 2011, 03:01:31 PM
I drive a bit fast, and am also bad about getting close behind someone if they're left lane camping. Other than that though, I'm not sure. I always use my signals and try not to tailgate or brake suddenly. Lack of patience (and how it's demonstrated through my driving) is probably my biggest vice.
I think it's more of a small town/retiree thing (having been around plenty, I feel justified saying that). In cities and on the interstate people still speed a decent amount. I like to speed and am rarely the only one (or even the fastest one). State highways drive me nuts though... one small town after another with 35mph speed limits and plentiful farm pickups or dump trucks/semis to slow things down... Louisiana also frustrated me, barely anyone speeds much there (apparently they have strict speed limit tolerances by police) on the interstate.
A bit fast?  ;)
:lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on January 30, 2011, 01:23:14 PM
I accelerate really fast all the time. Not even speeding, I just get up to speed quick. The faster a car is, the faster I get up to speed.  Explains my shitty gas mileage.

+1

I speed a lot and sometimes (whenever there's a left lane camper), I weave a bit too much. I don't think I'm the smoothest driver in the world.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hounddog

I really have few bad habits when I am driving.  Worst is probably crossing my feet on long drives with the cruise on.

I rarely even realize I do it.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Rich

Hmmm.... let's see... from a perspective of the PoPo or senior citizens I

#1 I take corners fast.. intersection type corners, and then I'm hard on the gas after..  I imagine some giving me dirty looks after, oh well
#2 If I'm on a 2 lane and I'm coming up behind someone stopped at the light in my lane, but the other is empty, I'll move over to the empty one, because I know I'm going to blast off at the light... if there is someone coming up in the open lane car lengths back, I'm sure they are pissed when I pull over into their lane taking their open lane launch
#3  If I'm on an on ramp and have a car in front of me, I'll hang behind and do a ridiculously slow speed so I can take some of the ramp at a fun speed and be at merging speed on the highway.  I'm sure it pisses the cars off behind me.
#4 Sometimes if I'm on the highway and there's a guy not using cruise control and not keeping their speed, and I have to pass them a few times, I'll speed up, pull in front of them and then go really slow, to see if I can annoy them too.  Probably the most stupid/childish thing I do.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2011, 01:38:38 PM
Outside of the major cities, yeah, but I have to remind myself that slow for Atlanta isn't slow for other places - it's not rare for me to be going 75 in a 55, drive by a cop clocking people and not even slow down.

Atlanta is pretty ridiculous. I once was going 90 in a 55 and was still with the flow of traffic (towards the upper end admittedly).

I am not so good with stop signs..the stopping bit is difficult for me...

I really don't speed too bad. I pretty much just stick with the flow of traffic, and normally that means ~5 mph over. I always signal and almost always check over my shoulder before changing lanes. I don't text while driving (illegal in NC!!!! Though I always see people doing it, and it pisses me off), and I avoid the phone in general as much as possible. I do pass on the right sometimes, but typically only in light traffic situations.

TBR

Quote from: hounddog on January 30, 2011, 06:37:48 PM
I really have few bad habits when I am driving.  Worst is probably crossing my feet on long drives with the cruise on.

I rarely even realize I do it.

I used to do that, but now I make a conscious effort to keep my left foot on the dead pedal and my right foot near the pedals (there's a little bump on the "transmission tunnel" that facilitates this).

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Mustangfan2003

I have the habit of texting and holding a beer can at the same time.   :lol: just j/k

BimmerM3

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2011, 12:04:11 PM
On a somewhat related topic, is it considered vandalism to put a bumper sticker on someone else's car without their permission? I've been seriously thinking about getting some of these.

http://iparklikeanidiot.com/

Since no one answered the first time, let me clarify: I'm not kidding. If somehow that's legal (can't imagine it is, but you never know), I'm gonna order a lot of those.

Cookie Monster

I have a bad habit of squeezing between cars when changing lanes, especially when I'm in the Miata.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

omicron

Driving one-handed. Right hand lazily on the wheel, left hand nowhere in particular.

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on January 29, 2011, 09:13:08 PM
Anything in particular?

I have no bad driving habits.

I do have some finely honed skills though.

I'm able to program the GPS while negotiating Houston freeway traffic.
I can steer with my left knee while I juggle a burger, fries and Diet Coke.
I can maintain a running commentary on the faults of other drivers while safely completing my trip.

bing_oh

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2011, 10:33:06 PMSince no one answered the first time, let me clarify: I'm not kidding. If somehow that's legal (can't imagine it is, but you never know), I'm gonna order a lot of those.

Yea, that's called criminal mischief in Ohio..."move, deface, or tamper with the property of another." Misdemeanor of the 3rd degree.

bing_oh

On topic...I brake too hard. Of course, I accelerate too hard, too, so it all evens out in the end.

Tave

I roll through stop signs in my neighborhood when I can see no cars coming, especially the bullshit signs the city added last summer that serve no purpose whatsoever except to make through-traffic drive slower down our hill. Those I run on principle alone.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

hounddog

Quote from: TBR on January 30, 2011, 07:44:14 PM
I used to do that, but now I make a conscious effort to keep my left foot on the dead pedal and my right foot near the pedals (there's a little bump on the "transmission tunnel" that facilitates this).
I never even realize I do it, but I have at least been able to get my mind to put my brake foot in front now.  Or most of the time. 

It is a terribly dangerous thing to do and I have no idea how or when I started doing it even.

Did it tonight, as a matter of fact on my way back from Traverse City.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2011, 12:04:11 PM

On a somewhat related topic, is it considered vandalism to put a bumper sticker on someone else's car without their permission? I've been seriously thinking about getting some of these.

http://iparklikeanidiot.com/
On your first where you follow; Follow too closely, 2 point moving violation and probably in the $110 fine neighborhood in Michigan.

On the other; if you put it on and no requirement other than the owner pulling it off it is Criminal Mischief. 

If you put it on and it requires any professional repair where you have to pay its Malicious destruction of private property.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Rupert

Quote from: EtypeJohn on January 31, 2011, 06:35:38 AM
I have no bad driving habits.

I do have some finely honed skills though.

I'm able to program the GPS while negotiating Houston freeway traffic.
I can steer with my left knee while I juggle a burger, fries and Diet Coke.
I can maintain a running commentary on the faults of other drivers while safely completing my trip.

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: bing_oh on January 31, 2011, 06:51:45 AM
Yea, that's called criminal mischief in Ohio..."move, deface, or tamper with the property of another." Misdemeanor of the 3rd degree.

Does that also apply to messages written in dirt/salt of a car? I got one criticizing my parking when the car on my other side had forced me over to the edge of the space.

bing_oh

Quote from: ifcar on January 31, 2011, 08:36:31 PMDoes that also apply to messages written in dirt/salt of a car? I got one criticizing my parking when the car on my other side had forced me over to the edge of the space.

Suppose you might be able to charge for it if you reeeeeally wanted to get "creative" with the law, but I can't imagine ever being convicted of it. I really doubt that would even be consider "defacing" since it's dirt/salt. If somebody came to me and tried to get me to file it, I'd roll my eyes and politely tell them to go the fuck away.

Rupert

What if it scratched your new paint?

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

scratched paint = MDOP

Depending on the dollar amount to repair it could be either a misdemeanor or a felony.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Northlands

Passing on the right. - Too many left lane campers here, so I simply must do it in order to get anywhere around here.
I brake a little heavy at times. Mostly in the winter.
I take cloverleaf ramps at entertaining speeds.

I don't speed much anymore. I used to when I was younger. I was pretty bad actually. Now I find myself going over on the highway, but that's about it. Speeding gets you nowhere in my city. Too many red lights, cameras, vehicle cameras...etc. Expensive and pointless when you'll either be fined or you just have to stop every 3-400 ft anyway.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Speed_Racer

Speaking of my bad habit, I got pulled over tonight. First time in a few years. Just a warning, thankfully.

dazzleman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 01, 2011, 07:47:37 PM
Speaking of my bad habit, I got pulled over tonight. First time in a few years. Just a warning, thankfully.

Were you all worked up from your date? :devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Speed_Racer

Quote from: dazzleman on February 01, 2011, 08:15:14 PM
Were you all worked up from your date? :devil:

Haha, i was distracted while heading to my date.

dazzleman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 01, 2011, 08:16:23 PM
Haha, i was distracted while heading to my date.
How fast were you going?

This makes me think of when you ended up in the sin bin at the F1.... :lol:

Speed_Racer

He clocked me at 52 in a 35, but I was definitely around 60 until I saw him and got on the brakes hard. It was a twisty canyon road, and he just appeared out of nowhere.

I live for the sin bin! Haha

dazzleman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 01, 2011, 08:32:50 PM
He clocked me at 52 in a 35, but I was definitely around 60 until I saw him and got on the brakes hard. It was a twisty canyon road, and he just appeared out of nowhere.

I live for the sin bin! Haha
Haha, that was exactly my last speeding ticket.... :praise:
I want to get in the sin bin next time I go to the F1.  I need to improve my driving skills to reach that goal.

the Teuton

I'm sometimes more concerned with my MP3 player (attached to the head unit via a cord) than with keeping my eyes on the road. That's probably my worst habit.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!