Bad Habits You Have When Driving

Started by 2o6, January 29, 2011, 09:13:08 PM

2o6

Anything in particular?

I have a bad habit of speeding, (of course), but sometimes I have a bad habit of trying to get home before a song ends, so I end up flying.

dazzleman

Speeding, if you can consider that a bad habit.

Other than that, not a lot.  I'm a pretty careful and considerate driver.  I signal lane changes, don't block the left lane, etc.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

I think I follow a bit close sometimes, when I want to go faster and there is a blocked passing lane, especially.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Speed_Racer

I'm a compulsive speeder, and I'm heavy on the horn.

SVT_Power

Turns without signaling, especially right turns. And especially especially on right turns if there's no cars ahead of me and I don't have to stop to see if there's a car coming. If it's just slow down and turn, I'd say well more than half the time I turn without signaling.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

I'm not sure speeding is a habit. It's not like I'm not aware that I'm doing it. I make the conscious decision to speed  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 30, 2011, 04:15:26 AM
I'm not sure speeding is a habit. It's not like I'm not aware that I'm doing it. I make the conscious decision to speed  :huh:

Me too, but I'd still say it's a habit.  I feel as if something's terribly wrong if I'm not going 20 mph over the speed limit on a highway.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on January 29, 2011, 10:01:26 PM
I think I follow a bit close sometimes, when I want to go faster and there is a blocked passing lane, especially.

I do this on occasion, but I try not to.  I'm more likely to do it if there's only one car blocking the passing lane.  If it's a whole line of cars, I don't even bother.

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2011, 05:11:31 AM
I do this on occasion, but I try not to.  I'm more likely to do it if there's only one car blocking the passing lane.  If it's a whole line of cars, I don't even bother.

This.

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2011, 08:19:22 AM
This.

What about that big block of lead that's in your right shoe when you drive?  :evildude:

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24127.msg1464236#msg1464236 date=1296406954
None. 
:lol:
Have you ever had an accident, Raza?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Ditto!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2011, 08:22:36 AM
What about that big block of lead that's in your right shoe when you drive?  :evildude:

That's just Atlanta. Note that I've never gotten a ticket in Atlanta. They've all been in small towns.

I have been using my horn a lot lately, I think drivers have gotten more stupid lately too.

On a somewhat related topic, is it considered vandalism to put a bumper sticker on someone else's car without their permission? I've been seriously thinking about getting some of these.

http://iparklikeanidiot.com/

Laconian

I have a bad habit of getting overly mad when I see people texting at the wheel. It's horrible to see but there's nothing I can do about it so there's no need to get mad about it.

Oh, and my favorite TSX steering wheel position blocks the high beam indicator. I melted people's retinas for at least fifteen minutes last night before I shifted my position and saw the blue light on the dash. I'm just not used to xenon light output, I suppose.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

The Pirate

I think nothing of passing on the right when somebody won't move over from the left lanes.  A friend of mine hates this and yells at me every time I do it when she's in the car.  She has a point, it is dangerous, but I give ample opportunity for said left-lane bonehead to move over prior to moving right and blasting by myself.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Pancor

I drive for a living, 5 days a week.    I smoke waaay too many cigarettes behind the wheel!

93JC

Quote from: The Pirate on January 30, 2011, 12:11:13 PM
I think nothing of passing on the right when somebody won't move over from the left lanes.  A friend of mine hates this and yells at me every time I do it when she's in the car.  She has a point, it is dangerous, but I give ample opportunity for said left-lane bonehead to move over prior to moving right and blasting by myself.

:hesaid:

As unsafe as it may be I think it's better for all parties involved. I'm sure the person I'm stuck behind doesn't want me riding their bumper, I get exasperated and noticeably frustrated when I'm stuck behind someone: if they don't move out of the way I might as well go around them.

I also speed and often don't signal a lane change until I'm beginning the change (i.e. I'm not signalling my intent, just moving over while signalling...). The latter manoeuvre is usually pulled when I've already checked my mirror and blindspot, so I've never actually come close to hitting anyone, but it's something I actively avoid doing now.

I'm also a very sloppy parker. :tounge:

Rupert

I do this on occasion, but I try not to.  I'm more likely to do it if there's only one car blocking the passing lane.  If it's a whole line of cars, I don't even bother.

Yeah, that's how it starts... :lol:

Really, it started on my commute, where I drive through downtown, which is a series of two to three lane one-ways with a speed limit of 30 and lights timed to match. Most idiots go about 20 to 25, which means that they have to stop at at least one light.

:rage:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

I accelerate really fast all the time. Not even speeding, I just get up to speed quick. The faster a car is, the faster I get up to speed.  Explains my shitty gas mileage.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

The Pirate

Quote from: MrH on January 30, 2011, 01:23:14 PM
I accelerate really fast all the time. Not even speeding, I just get up to speed quick. The faster a car is, the faster I get up to speed.  Explains my shitty gas mileage.

Yes, I can't resist this either. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

That's great if there's room on the right to move over, but a lot of times there a line of idiots going slower in the next lane over. I suppose it's just one of the downsides of living in a major city.

Laconian

I hear that people are really poky in the South.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

I don't see anything wrong with passing on the right if somebody insists on blocking the left lane.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2011, 01:25:55 PM

Outside of the major cities, yeah, but I have to remind myself that slow for Atlanta isn't slow for other places - it's not rare for me to be going 75 in a 55, drive by a cop clocking people and not even slow down.

giant_mtb

I have no bad driving habits, honestly.  Sometimes, people are alarmed at how close to cars I get that are parked on the street (like when cars are parked on both sides and I'm driving along and there's another car coming the other direction, so it's a tight fit), but I've never hit a parked car, and it isn't really a bad habit to be well-aware of my car's boundaries.

Ummm...I also drive "slow."  I'm always going at least 5MPH over the limit per the norm (10 over on the freeway if I feel the need to go that fast, I'm certainly not afraid to) but I don't accelerate fast or anything.  Dunno.  People are always very comfortable/confident in my driving from what I know, even if I do (or because of the fact that I) drive "slow."

:huh:

ifcar

I do the same, and I wouldn't consider it a bad habit as long as it's done carefully. It's even legal in Maryland.

hotrodalex

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 30, 2011, 01:51:01 PM
I have no bad driving habits, honestly.  Sometimes, people are alarmed at how close to cars I get that are parked on the street (like when cars are parked on both sides and I'm driving along and there's another car coming the other direction, so it's a tight fit), but I've never hit a parked car, and it isn't really a bad habit to be well-aware of my car's boundaries.

Ummm...I also drive "slow."  I'm always going at least 5MPH over the limit per the norm (10 over on the freeway if I feel the need to go that fast, I'm certainly not afraid to) but I don't accelerate fast or anything.  Dunno.  People are always very comfortable/confident in my driving from what I know, even if I do (or because of the fact that I) drive "slow."

:huh:

I would be a horrible chauffeur. I don't drive very smoothly, I drive quickly. I don't really notice it since I'm holding onto the steering wheel, but passengers that aren't holding on to something notice it a bit more. I guess that's my bad habit.

thewizard16

I drive a bit fast, and am also bad about getting close behind someone if they're left lane camping. Other than that though, I'm not sure. I always use my signals and try not to tailgate or brake suddenly. Lack of patience (and how it's demonstrated through my driving) is probably my biggest vice.

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2011, 01:25:55 PM
I think it's more of a small town/retiree thing (having been around plenty, I feel justified saying that). In cities and on the interstate people still speed a decent amount. I like to speed and am rarely the only one (or even the fastest one). State highways drive me nuts though... one small town after another with 35mph speed limits and plentiful farm pickups or dump trucks/semis to slow things down... Louisiana also frustrated me, barely anyone speeds much there (apparently they have strict speed limit tolerances by police) on the interstate.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2011, 12:08:21 PM

Oh, and my favorite TSX steering wheel position blocks the high beam indicator. I melted people's retinas for at least fifteen minutes last night before I shifted my position and saw the blue light on the dash. I'm just not used to xenon light output, I suppose.

[sidenote]
I intentionally make sure that my steering wheel blocks that blue light. Annoys the heck out of me.

Worse is on my parent's SX4 - there are always at least 3-4 dash light on at one time - headlights on, cruise on, cruse set, awd on, etc. And they're so bright.
[/sidenote]