Bad Habits You Have When Driving

Started by 2o6, January 29, 2011, 09:13:08 PM

Onslaught

Quote from: Northlands on February 01, 2011, 04:24:19 PM
Passing on the right. - Too many left lane campers here, so I simply must do it in order to get anywhere around here.
I take cloverleaf ramps at entertaining speeds.

I don't speed much anymore. I used to when I was younger. I was pretty bad actually. Now I find myself going over on the highway, but that's about it.
I'm just like this.

Secret Chimp

Carrying what could be deemed as overzealous speed into corners.
Last Thursday I ghost-doriftoed a wide 45mph left hander almost right up into the ass of a 240SX (I thought I was just going to go left fast but I realized halfway through my rear end had come loose without making a noise). I blamed the slippery-ass white marker paint and the downhill offcamberness but I really should just disconnect my rear bar...

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Byteme

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 02, 2011, 09:28:53 AM
Last Thursday I ghost-doriftoed a wide 45mph left hander almost right up into the ass of a 240SX (I thought I was just going to go left fast but I realized halfway through my rear end had come loose without making a noise). I blamed the slippery-ass white marker paint and the downhill offcamberness but I really should just disconnect my rear bar...

Silent But Deadly?   :devil:

Secret Chimp

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 02, 2011, 10:40:31 AM
Silent But Deadly?   :devil:

Well almost, kind of leaked out until I caught it then it made a noise as it finished up. We've all had that happen...

S204STi

Quote from: Rupert on January 29, 2011, 10:01:26 PM
I think I follow a bit close sometimes, when I want to go faster and there is a blocked passing lane, especially.

+1

S204STi

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 02, 2011, 09:28:53 AM

Hah, last month I totally spun around on a corner.  Except that was because I was doing 45 in a 25mph corner... :mask:

Lucky it's a lightly-traveled section of road, mainly because it allowed me to split before anybody saw me.  Also put the fear in me again. :lol:

Secret Chimp

Quote from: R-inge on February 04, 2011, 04:19:36 PM
Hah, last month I totally spun around on a corner.  Except that was because I was doing 45 in a 25mph corner... :mask:

Lucky it's a lightly-traveled section of road, mainly because it allowed me to split before anybody saw me.  Also put the fear in me again. :lol:

Beauty of all-wheel drive my ass

S204STi

It turns out if you fly into a corner too fast you'll still lose your ass.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: R-inge on February 04, 2011, 04:54:15 PM
It turns out if you fly into a corner too fast you'll still lose your ass.

My car has a nice grip-to-light-ass ratio that usually means an ungraceful but quick reverse-snap-oversteer where the tires grab back on once they slow down enough.

S204STi

With the new sway bars the car is easier to control with the throttle.  Generally it's opposite to your car though; applying throttle creates more under-steer or keeps it neutral if I came in too hot.  There are limits of course... If I bomb in off the throttle the back end will eventually come around.  Honestly though I am not a good enough driver to exploit those limits, so since then I haven't done that.  But in everyday driving and cornering in the twisties it is much more fun to drive than before.

68_427

On my way to and from school sometimes I drive under the speed limit with out realizing it.  I can't afford to get 20mpg right now, so I'm ok with it as long as I'm the only one on the road.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: 68_427 on February 04, 2011, 08:56:37 PM
On my way to and from school sometimes I drive under the speed limit with out realizing it.  I can't afford to get 20mpg right now, so I'm ok with it as long as I'm the only one on the road.

Sometimes I drive under the limit so I don't get there as quickly. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 04, 2011, 09:02:00 PM
Sometimes I drive under the limit so I don't get there as quickly. :lol:
What if you're running late in the morning?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

I like getting to school before the mass rush of students, and I also I make sure I leave before the buses start getting near the school.  Also I took a really tight left hander at 35mph today.  I kinda felt badass, but then I remembered I drive an Outback sedan.
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on February 04, 2011, 09:28:32 PM
I like getting to school before the mass rush of students, and I also I make sure I leave before the buses start getting near the school.  Also I took a really tight left hander at 35mph today.  I kinda felt badass, but then I remembered I drive an Outback sedan.

How much before school opens do you get there?  Do you ever have to stay late for any reason?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

I get there around 6:55-7:00 and class starts at 7:25.

I get out at 12:10 everyday.
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on February 04, 2011, 09:32:01 PM
I get there around 6:55-7:00 and class starts at 7:25.

I get out at 12:10 everyday.

12:10??  Can I go back to being a high school student, at that school?  What a sweet deal.

68_427

Lol I take two math classes, journalism, and economics.  Imagine the money I could make if I had a job.  I could work 5 hours and be out by 6.
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2011, 09:36:53 PM
12:10??  Can I go back to being a high school student, at that school?  What a sweet deal.

I got out around 1PM every day for my last semester of high school. They call it minimum day. We had 7 periods per day: 6 classes and a lunch. If you could fulfill your graduation requirements with only 5 classes, they'd schedule them in the first five periods with your lunch as the 6th (normally lunch was either 3rd, 4th, or 5th) so you could leave early.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2011, 09:36:53 PM
When I was a senior I took OWE (Occupational Work Experience) and was out at 11:30 everyday. But you had to have a job. I worked at Wendys from 1pm to 9pm Mon - Fri.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 05, 2011, 12:56:13 AM
I got out around 1PM every day for my last semester of high school. They call it minimum day. We had 7 periods per day: 6 classes and a lunch. If you could fulfill your graduation requirements with only 5 classes, they'd schedule them in the first five periods with your lunch as the 6th (normally lunch was either 3rd, 4th, or 5th) so you could leave early.

High school is such a racket.  My senior year, I got out at 2:30 or so 2 days a week, 1:30 two other days, and 12:00 one day.  Man, I'd love to have that schedule again.  I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have at the time.

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2011, 09:24:46 PM
What if you're running late in the morning?

I'm never running late. I get up at 5 for a "bible study" class at 6 at a church member's house. That ends at 6:50 so I have 50 minutes until classes start. School doors open at 7 and I usually take my time so I don't have to sit in the commons for 25 minutes until the hallways open up and I can go to my locker. Sometimes I just go home for 20 minutes and grab a drink or surf teh interbutts before leaving for school.

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 05, 2011, 10:54:43 AM
I'm never running late. I get up at 5 for a "bible study" class at 6 at a church member's house. That ends at 6:50 so I have 50 minutes until classes start. School doors open at 7 and I usually take my time so I don't have to sit in the commons for 25 minutes until the hallways open up and I can go to my locker. Sometimes I just go home for 20 minutes and grab a drink or surf teh interbutts before leaving for school.

Wow man, you're up early.  I was always running late in high school.  A coiple of years, I had cool homeroom teachers who liked me and let me slide on it.  But then I started getting in trouble for it so I was more careful after that since that few minutes more of sleep wasn't worth getting kept after until late in the afyernoon.

Have you gone over any other fields?  That could be considered a "bad habit" when it comes to driving... :devil:

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on February 05, 2011, 11:35:59 AM
Wow man, you're up early.  I was always running late in high school.  A coiple of years, I had cool homeroom teachers who liked me and let me slide on it.  But then I started getting in trouble for it so I was more careful after that since that few minutes more of sleep wasn't worth getting kept after until late in the afyernoon.

Have you gone over any other fields?  That could be considered a "bad habit" when it comes to driving... :devil:

Sort of. I weaved in and out of trees in a neighborhood, like they were slalom cones. :lol: It was on the main road of a neighborhood, with trees every 10 feet or so between the road and the sidewalk. Good times.

Cookie Monster

My high school had a rotating schedule and 7 periods. In senior year I only took 4 classes so I was either out super early or I was just passed out in the library trying to catch up on sleep from playing too many video games. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 30, 2011, 02:46:32 PM
I would be a horrible chauffeur. I don't drive very smoothly, I drive quickly. I don't really notice it since I'm holding onto the steering wheel, but passengers that aren't holding on to something notice it a bit more. I guess that's my bad habit.

I get accused of being a speedracer- I try to take corners as fast as possible without braking. (to save gas, right? :lol: )
One time at Warrant Officer school I cooked into the dirt/ gravel parking lot and got totally sideways (30mph speedlimit strictly enforced) with a lot of classmates standing around so that only reinforced the image..

I grew up driving in 20mph Evanston, Wyoming. But driving in Germany I got tired of people cutting me off so started tailgating like everyone else.

So sometimes I'm laid back behind the wheel and will be overly courteous to everyone (yeah we all hate being behind THAT GUY) but other times I cut through traffic like a rock tossed into the ocean..
Will

Morris Minor

I generally ignore Stop signs unless it's unsafe to do so or it's under surveillance.
Changing music or podcasts on my iPhone.
Speeding
I've been caught daydreaming once or twice - almost rear ending stopped cars. One time I honestly thought I was going to hit - came within inches - stood on the brake pedal like I was trying to break it off - ABS chattering all the way - heart pounding. My driving was dramatically better after that, for a few weeks anyway.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

The Pirate

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 07, 2011, 01:26:28 PM

I've been caught daydreaming once or twice - almost rear ending stopped cars. One time I honestly thought I was going to hit - came within inches - stood on the brake pedal like I was trying to break it off - ABS chattering all the way - heart pounding. My driving was dramatically better after that, for a few weeks anyway.

I've had this happen once or twice.  Nothing like threshold braking (no ABS for me) to get the old ticker pumping.  And yes, such an event usually puts me on my best behavior for the next few weeks too.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on February 05, 2011, 11:35:59 AM
Wow man, you're up early.  I was always running late in high school.  A coiple of years, I had cool homeroom teachers who liked me and let me slide on it.  But then I started getting in trouble for it so I was more careful after that since that few minutes more of sleep wasn't worth getting kept after until late in the afyernoon.

Have you gone over any other fields?  That could be considered a "bad habit" when it comes to driving... :devil:

I was 20 minutes late for high school, every day.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on February 07, 2011, 11:52:44 PM
I was 20 minutes late for high school, every day.

Is that the best you've got?  :rolleyes:  Lame slacker..... :lol: