Bad Habits You Have When Driving

Started by 2o6, January 29, 2011, 09:13:08 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: The Pirate on February 07, 2011, 03:40:32 PM
I've had this happen once or twice.  Nothing like threshold braking (no ABS for me) to get the old ticker pumping.  And yes, such an event usually puts me on my best behavior for the next few weeks too.

Same here. :mask:

Rupert

They would have strung you up for that, and then you would have spent the next 30 years bragging about it. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

I'm usually doing the reverse... stopping very quickly and eying my rear view to make sure I'm not going to get beaned in the butt if I don't cut over a lane.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

dazzleman

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 08, 2011, 03:47:08 PM
I'm usually doing the reverse... stopping very quickly and eying my rear view to make sure I'm not going to get beaned in the butt if I don't cut over a lane.
When I have to stop suddenly, like in a highway traffic jam, I always stop a bit before the car in front of me, to leave me some room to move if a car behind me doesn't stop in time.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on February 08, 2011, 11:30:38 AM
They would have strung you up for that, and then you would have spent the next 30 years bragging about it. ;)
The first part is true.  But as to the second part, I'd have considered that "crime" a bit too lame to brag about.  ;)
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on February 08, 2011, 05:31:21 PM
The first part is true.  But as to the second part, I'd have considered that "crime" a bit too lame to brag about.  ;)

That's... unlikely, Mr. I-talked-in-class-and-had-to-do-detention-sometimes-wasn't-I-a-rebel. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on February 08, 2011, 07:30:11 PM
That's... unlikely, Mr. I-talked-in-class-and-had-to-do-detention-sometimes-wasn't-I-a-rebel. ;)
:lol:
Cutting class to go boozing is badass, man... :evildude:

At this point,.my "bragging" is mainly for your benefit.  Your reaction to it is pretty funny.  And of course, you do a bit of "bragging" yourself.... ;)

L. ed foote

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2011, 01:36:30 PM
I don't see anything wrong with passing on the right if somebody insists on blocking the left lane.

Neither do I. Sometimes I'll get a pretty good head of steam going in the right lane. Seems that right is the new left :lol:
Member, Self Preservation Society

L. ed foote

If my copilot is being annoying, I'll tend to drive in a manner that will upset them; excessive speed or slaloming. If we're on the west side of the Hudson, it's pretty much a given that we'll be going down Bear Mountain and all its twists and turns.
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

Quote from: L. ed foote on February 20, 2011, 11:32:23 AM
Neither do I. Sometimes I'll get a pretty good head of steam going in the right lane. Seems that right is the new left :lol:

I prefer to drive on the left side because od entrance ramps,  as long as I'm actually passing.  I'd say I typically go faster than about 80% if the cars on the highway, so left is the natural side for me.  Byt I don't hog the left lane.  If I'm not passing or somebody wants to go faster, I move over.

But if the lanr is blocked, I pass on the right.  I make no apologies for it.

James Young

Quote from: dazzleman on February 20, 2011, 11:38:21 AM
I'd say I typically go faster than about 80% if the cars on the highway, so left is the natural side for me.  

You realize, of course, that that makes you a speed pussy!  By definition, speed limits are set (or supposed to be set) at the 85th percentile  rounded UP to the next 5 mph increment.  Thus, you're cranking along below the limit.  I'm embarrassed for you.  :lol:
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

rohan

I used to drive hard all the time no matter where I was going in a patrol car or in my own but since the kids came along I drive much more calmly.  Now my biggest problem is getting angry when the kids are in the car at the morons around me.  I think I've shared the story about my daughter helping me out with yelling at them to you guys usning language best reserved for sailors.  :facepalm:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on February 20, 2011, 11:38:21 AM
I prefer to drive on the left side because od entrance ramps,  as long as I'm actually passing.  I'd say I typically go faster than about 80% if the cars on the highway, so left is the natural side for me.  Byt I don't hog the left lane.  If I'm not passing or somebody wants to go faster, I move over.

But if the lanr is blocked, I pass on the right.  I make no apologies for it.

Same here, but when I'm driving the Yukon, it's more like I'm driving in the 60th percentile.  The A6, it's  more like the 99th. :pullover:  And no cracks about my girly Suburban driving that you might have noticed in the past Dave!  :rage:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on April 07, 2011, 06:47:14 PM
Same here, but when I'm driving the Yukon, it's more like I'm driving in the 60th percentile.  The A6, it's  more like the 99th. :pullover:  And no cracks about my girly Suburban driving that you might have noticed in the past Dave!  :rage:

I swear you were wearing a skirt when you drove to the Pats game in the Expedition.... :rolleyes:

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on April 07, 2011, 08:48:41 PM
I swear you were wearing a skirt when you drove to the Pats game in the Expedition.... :rolleyes:

:evildude:

Hey, I had just bought the Suburban and hadn't quite tuned myself up to it's dynamic - or un-dynamic - response.  Toss in my 2 sons and Greg's son, and I felt that I should drive like a responsible yet girly man. Don't worry, all that changed a couple weeks later once I learned what to expect from the 3 ton beast and how far I could push it.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan