Exhausted all my options?

Started by the Teuton, January 30, 2011, 11:37:34 PM

hounddog

Small claims is the way to go, but, you will probably have to sue him in Ohio court. 
Which means, you will "probably" have to go there to file unless they have a place to file on their website, which I doubt, then return there for the court date.

Quote from: the Teuton on February 05, 2011, 01:11:32 PM
I have in my possession a copy of my receipt signed by the manager at a Monroe Muffler saying that the part that broke was, indeed, brand new. He said if there's any problem, the mechanic in Ohio should call him.

He also said there's no way on earth is couldn't be a new part.
If you sue the first mechanic, have the second get the receipt and a written affidavit notorized so that the first cannot claim you created that yourself.

Best of luck, Teuton.  Sounds like a rotten situation.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

SVT666

Fighting the guy who installed it to begin with is going to cost more than just fixing it.

the Teuton

Guess who is getting his car fixed for around $30 or however much gas costs from Pa. to Ohio...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Oh, fun times, fun times...

My dad spoke with the mechanic this past week to make sure the parts would be available to do the job -- the flex pipe and whatnot. He said it would. Okay, cool, I thought.

I get the car back today, and as soon as a I open the hood, I notice the pipe is exactly the same. The car is quieter again, but all they did was weld it back on with some reinforcements. That's not what I was expecting, especially given the fact that I just spent $400 to have it replaced two months ago.

My dad calls the guy up (he was busy towing a car, so one of his mechanics gave me my receipt and key back when I was there), and he says that the part would've been ordered from the same company, and he felt that this weld job would be stronger. I said that I didn't pay $400 for a greasemonkey weld job. I told him that it was either the integrity of the people who put it on or the part itself, and perhaps he should order better quality parts, to which he said he'd have to charge me more if that were the case. I said why should I have to be charged more for the job to be done right?

In the end, he told me that this will do, and he feels that he doesn't think it'll break. The conversation basically ended there with a rather sarcastic "Let's hope" from me. He hung up on me. What a fucking piece of shit.

The car is fixed now, but I am not happy. I will be calling the Better Business Bureau next week to express my discontentment.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 03:09:11 PM
Oh, fun times, fun times...

My dad spoke with the mechanic this past week to make sure the parts would be available to do the job -- the flex pipe and whatnot. He said it would. Okay, cool, I thought.

I get the car back today, and as soon as a I open the hood, I notice the pipe is exactly the same. The car is quieter again, but all they did was weld it back on with some reinforcements. That's not what I was expecting, especially given the fact that I just spent $400 to have it replaced two months ago.

My dad calls the guy up (he was busy towing a car, so one of his mechanics gave me my receipt and key back when I was there), and he says that the part would've been ordered from the same company, and he felt that this weld job would be stronger. I said that I didn't pay $400 for a greasemonkey weld job. I told him that it was either the integrity of the people who put it on or the part itself, and perhaps he should order better quality parts, to which he said he'd have to charge me more if that were the case. I said why should I have to be charged more for the job to be done right?

In the end, he told me that this will do, and he feels that he doesn't think it'll break. The conversation basically ended there with a rather sarcastic "Let's hope" from me. He hung up on me. What a fucking piece of shit.

The car is fixed now, but I am not happy. I will be calling the Better Business Bureau next week to express my discontentment.

You are hard to please.

Cookie Monster

If the welds hold up, then what's the problem?

And before contacting the bbb I'd ask for a warranty or something.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: thecarnut on February 19, 2011, 05:09:40 PM
If the welds hold up, then what's the problem?

And before contacting the bbb I'd ask for a warranty or something.

I have a year warranty.

the Teuton

280Z Turbo

Rupert

Oh give me a break. You're a dick, Teuton.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on February 19, 2011, 05:40:02 PM
Oh give me a break. You're a dick, Teuton.

And you're a hippie. We all have our problems. I paid good money for a half-ass job. Simple as that.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 06:34:12 PM
And you're a hippie. We all have our problems. I paid good money for a half-ass job. Simple as that.
Not really, though. The mechanic has a point. If a new part he put on there broke, why put on yet another identical part and potentially have the same issues? He tried to fix it a different way this time. And if everything works, you can't complain. If it doesn't work out, then you have a year warranty.

And I don't see why you expect him to put a better pipe on without paying extra for it...
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: thecarnut on February 19, 2011, 06:40:26 PM
Not really, though. The mechanic has a point. If a new part he put on there broke, why put on yet another identical part and potentially have the same issues? He tried to fix it a different way this time. And if everything works, you can't complain. If it doesn't work out, then you have a year warranty.

And I don't see why you expect him to put a better pipe on without paying extra for it...

I expect him to put the parts on the car that will do the job properly. If that means a more expensive part, then so be it. That's not my problem. He probably pocketed a good amount speaking that he charged me $100 for the part.

I am not going back there unless it breaks again. There's no need. But if it does, expect me to not give him the benefit of the doubt.

Rupert

Dude, it works like this:

Part (crappy, breaks) $100
Labor $300

If you want Part (not crappy, doesn't break) $150, then you pay extra, durr.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

$400 isn't that much for what you had done. You can't expect Chip Foose to work on your car for that much. You remind me of Dr. Zoidberg with his tricky dick fun bill.

The weld that they put on may be stronger than the original weld. Also, there may only be one supplier for that part. I think you're making too big of a deal out of this.

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on February 19, 2011, 06:54:33 PM
Dude, it works like this:

Part (crappy, breaks) $100
Labor $300

If you want Part (not crappy, doesn't break) $150, then you pay extra, durr.

I don't care what he uses, but for the amount of money I spent, I expect it to be a) a new part and b) not break within two months of purchasing it.

Think about it like this: If you bought a new shirt and didn't see that it had a hole in it when you bought it, you'd go back and have it exchanged for a new one in better condition. Now what if all they did was tell you, "Wait a second while we hire a seamstress in the back to put a patch on it," and then they gave it back to you.

Wouldn't you be a little upset?

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 19, 2011, 06:57:38 PM
$400 isn't that much for what you had done. You can't expect Chip Foose to work on your car for that much. You remind me of Dr. Zoidberg with his tricky dick fun bill.

The weld that they put on may be stronger than the original weld. Also, there may only be one supplier for that part. I think you're making too big of a deal out of this.

Well, that's what I have to work with now. If it holds, we're good. If it doesn't, then I will be the first person to say "I told you so."

If he wanted to reinforce the parts new before putting them on the car so he'd never have to see me again, I'd be cool with that. But this is a band-aid fix. I didn't drive 120 miles to have a band-aid put on my car as a "warranty" fix.

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 06:46:24 PM
I expect him to put the parts on the car that will do the job properly. If that means a more expensive part, then so be it. That's not my problem. He probably pocketed a good amount speaking that he charged me $100 for the part.

I am not going back there unless it breaks again. There's no need. But if it does, expect me to not give him the benefit of the doubt.

I hope it's fixed for you.  I think that the point that Rag and the others are trying to make is that you paid for a certain quality of part (and though $400 is a lot of money to you and I, it's probably towards the low end of the quality spectrum).  If it was discovered that an upgraded part need to be installed to provide satisfactory performance in your application, I think it's reasonable for you to pay the difference, even if he was covering labor and original level of part cost.  You can't pay for part x and expect quality and longevity of part y.  

I deal with this all the time at work (positively and negatively).  One can buy a bicycle rear derailleur for $40 that will shift acceptably for a lot of applications.  The rear derailleur on my bike retails for $215 and essentially performs the same task.  But it will last longer and shift more efficiently, offering a higher level of performance.  
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on February 19, 2011, 07:02:10 PM
I hope it's fixed for you.  I think that the point that Rag and the others are trying to make is that you paid for a certain quality of part (and though $400 is a lot of money to you and I, it's probably towards the low end of the quality spectrum).  If it was discovered that an upgraded part need to be installed to provide satisfactory performance in your application, I think it's reasonable for you to pay the difference, even if he was covering labor and original level of part cost.  You can't pay for part x and expect quality and longevity of part y

I deal with this all the time at work (positively and negatively).  One can buy a bicycle rear derailleur for $40 that will shift acceptably for a lot of applications.  The rear derailleur on my bike retails for $215 and essentially performs the same task.  But it will last longer and shift more efficiently, offering a higher level of performance. 

Failure after two months and less than 1,000 miles is not the same thing.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 06:46:24 PM

He's going to only put in the parts that you paid for. That is your problem. You want an upgraded part in the car, you pay extra for it. You can't expect him to pay for it. This seems like it'd be common sense to me.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 07:04:35 PM
Failure after two months and less than 1,000 miles is not the same thing.

Bicycle derailleur is merely an example of the broad range of quality available.  As to the first paragraph of my post, it's totally relevant to your situation.  Turn a wrench on a car and you'd know that.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: thecarnut on February 19, 2011, 07:06:03 PM
He's going to only put in the parts that you paid for. That is your problem. You want an upgraded part in the car, you pay extra for it. You can't expect him to pay for it. This seems like it'd be common sense to me.

He marks up the price of parts about 15% from what he paid for them. I asked him.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on February 19, 2011, 07:07:22 PM
Bicycle derailleur is merely an example of the broad range of quality available.  As to the first paragraph of my post, it's totally relevant to your situation.  Turn a wrench on a car and you'd know that.

It was a crappy example.

Cookie Monster

Teuton, the most he'll do without you spending more money is replace the failed part with another of the same exact part which has already failed on you once. Instead, he reinforced that part and welded it back up, and depending on the quality of the welds, you might even have a stronger part now than an exact replacement for the original. Plus you have the one year warranty. I don't see how this is the fault of the mechanic.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

The guy didn't charge you $400 to "just fix it." He charged you some money for the part, and some for the labor. If it took less time, he would charge you less. It it took a cheaper part, he would charge less. If the good part costs more, then he would charge more.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 07:07:40 PM
He marks up the price of parts about 15% from what he paid for them. I asked him.
Well duh, he's also in the business to make a profit. You can't expect him to take the time of ordering parts, getting them, stocking and making an inventory for them and then just hand you the part for the same exact price as what he paid.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 07:07:40 PM

And if he put on a more expensive part, he would still mark it up 15%. :huh:

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 07:09:00 PM
It was a crappy example.

Of the broad range of quality available? It's a perfect example. The cheapo derailler will be hard to adjust, won't stay adjusted, won't be smooth, will be heavy, etc. The expensive one will be easy to adjust, stay adjusted, be smooth, and be light.

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on February 19, 2011, 07:10:34 PM
The guy didn't charge you $400 to "just fix it." He charged you some money for the part, and some for the labor. If it took less time, he would charge you less. It it took a cheaper part, he would charge less. If the good part costs more, then he would charge more.

All I expect is for someone who said he was ordering a replacement part for my car to give me the damn replacement part with a smile on his face so I can have a smile on mine. When did customer service go out the window? When did it suddenly become okay to slam the phone on a customer?

If he wanted it to not fail again using the same part, he should have ordered a new one and reinforced it. It's under factory warranty -- it's not costing the guy anything but a little less than two hours of labor.

Not a difficult concept. And he'd keep me as a return customer. Now he's lost a whole family of business because he lied and did half-ass work.

I don't expect miracles; I don't expect freebies; all I wanted was a new, unbroken part that held up. It is what it is now, but I thought the manner in which he handled it was completely unprofessional.