Exhausted all my options?

Started by the Teuton, January 30, 2011, 11:37:34 PM

sportyaccordy

Damn just saw this page, $400 to weld a pipe? That's insanity man.

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 19, 2011, 10:17:00 PM
You're ridiculous, man.  I hope you know that.

Expecting new for the price of new is ridiculous...only in America...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 20, 2011, 09:06:21 AM
Damn just saw this page, $400 to weld a pipe? That's insanity man.

No, the pipe was fixed with a new one ($400 fix), and 2 months later, it came undone. So the shop guy welded it up, free of charge.

L. ed foote

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2011, 07:16:26 PM
When did customer service go out the window?

Probably around the same time customers went to shit... :huh:
Member, Self Preservation Society

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2011, 09:53:35 AM

You got new for the price of new. It broke. Clearly not the best strategy. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2011, 09:53:35 AM

He gave you a brand new pipe when you payed for it.  He welded it back together when it broke for free.  It's an old Saturn.  What do you want, a new titanium exhaust for $4.99?   

Secret Chimp

When my Accord had the weld area for a hanger tear open I just bought a new pipe from interbutt and installed it. Granted I had that pipe for about six months before I was brave enough to attack that amazingly rusted-ass converter, but still.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 20, 2011, 06:28:50 PM
He gave you a brand new pipe when you payed for it.  He welded it back together when it broke for free.  It's an old Saturn.  What do you want, a new titanium exhaust for $4.99?   

It's a broken part that he cobbled back together after he replaced it the first time with subpar quality. Would you want that on your Audi?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

The part was sub par quality because you paid for sub par quality! I bet for $60 more, he could have put on a better part. As it is, your cheap ass has a working quiet flex pipe that is probably more durable than a new one, and you didn't pay for the repair.

BTW, if he had reinforced the part before he put it on the first time, he would have had to charge you another half hour to an hour of work on top of the $400. As it is, you actually came out ahead-- free reinforcing!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on February 20, 2011, 09:31:24 PM
The part was sub par quality because you paid for sub par quality! I bet for $60 more, he could have put on a better part. As it is, your cheap ass has a working quiet flex pipe that is probably more durable than a new one, and you didn't pay for the repair.

BTW, if he had reinforced the part before he put it on the first time, he would have had to charge you another half hour to an hour of work on top of the $400. As it is, you actually came out ahead-- free reinforcing!

You act as if I had an option in all of this. I didn't initially. None whatsoever.

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2011, 09:13:39 PM
It's a broken part that he cobbled back together after he replaced it the first time with subpar quality. Would you want that on your Audi?

A) My car is brand new and under warranty, so of course it would be getting brand new, OEM parts from the dealership.
B) That makes that argument completely irrelevant.
C) You chose this "greaseball" mechanic...he didn't choose you.
D) If it breaks again, I will allow you to bitch all you want and not give you a whiff of backlash.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on February 20, 2011, 10:06:13 AM

No, the pipe was fixed with a new one ($400 fix), and 2 months later, it came undone. So the shop guy welded it up, free of charge.

Ah OK. So what's Teuton complaining about?

giant_mtb

Because apparently, he wanted another copy of the same (apparently shitty) part that the guy put on the first time. The mech said he'd put on a new one but instead just welded it up for free. And Teuton's pissed about.

The logic behind the anger, which nobody here except Teuts seems to understand, is beyond me.

280Z Turbo

He could have paid some hobos $20 to make a new exhaust out of dryer ducting and beer cans, but instead he went to a high end shop expecting first class service for his premium automobile. They didn't even provide him with a chauffeur while his car was being worked on! What kind of service is that?!

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2011, 10:35:25 AM
He could have paid some hobos $20 to make a new exhaust out of dryer ducting and beer cans, but instead he went to a high end shop expecting first class service for his premium automobile. They didn't even provide him with a chauffeur while his car was being worked on! What kind of service is that?!

Quite honestly, on a crappy car like that, I'd rather go to a cheapo "grease monkey" shop. The exhaust in my old Neon rusted and fell apart right behind the cat.

90 minutes later, and $47, he welded up a sleeve and I was on my merry way.

L. ed foote

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2011, 10:35:25 AM

Bastards! :rage:
Member, Self Preservation Society

MrH

:facepalm:

I don't understand the anger either.  Guy fixed it in a more robust way than just putting another cheap part in place that'll likely break the same way anyways.

Who cares if it's your two month old piece of pipe, or the new one?  There's no difference.  He welded it and fixed it.  That's ten times better than putting in another piece of shit part with terrible welds from the factory.

And don't get one of those OBX headers.  Those things are absolute shit.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Secret Chimp

Quote from: MrH on February 28, 2011, 12:40:06 PM
:facepalm:

I don't understand the anger either.  Guy fixed it in a more robust way than just putting another cheap part in place that'll likely break the same way anyways.

Who cares if it's your two month old piece of pipe, or the new one?  There's no difference.  He welded it and fixed it.  That's ten times better than putting in another piece of shit part with terrible welds from the factory.

And don't get one of those OBX headers.  Those things are absolute shit.

My OBX headers are vunderbar.

Then again they probably care a lot more about Miata customers than they do drivers of FWD shitboxes.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

the Teuton

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 28, 2011, 04:25:31 PM

Then again they probably care a lot more about Miata customers than they do drivers of FWD shitboxes.

I try not to think of my car as FWD, thanks.

MrH

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 28, 2011, 04:25:31 PM

They were god awful for proteges.  Sound like complete ass and the quality is just straight turrrible.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

I'm sure they're better than Pace Setters!