An expensive mistake

Started by Speed_Racer, February 03, 2011, 03:59:13 PM

Speed_Racer

This past Christmas break, I went back to NH to spend a week with my family. I left my MR2 parked in UT where I live/work. While I was gone, my boss managed to drive his plow truck into the rear quarter panel leaving a fairly large dent.

Finally, after getting on his and my university's cases (I work for my university), things seem to be rolling on getting it repaired.

Here's the damage:

I went and got repair estimates this morning. Estimate 1 is $1343 (two weeks in the shop), estimate 2 is $1928 (one week).  Luckily not a cent comes from my pocket - it's 100% responsibility of my university. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the car is considered totalled. I'll keep you all updated.

Onslaught

That's a good size dent.  I'd take it to a shop that's known for really good work. Hate to see someone do a bad job on it.

Speed_Racer

The places I got estimates from are very highly recommended. Both said they would just completely replace the panel, though my university's insurance may just consider it totalled and cut me a check.

Laconian

Oh, for some reason I thought the MR2 went the plastic fantastic route like the Fiero did. That sucks! Just a dent in the body panel, right? Maybe you'll end up with a profit when all this is over.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Onslaught

I fear replacing a quarter on an MR-2 of that age would total it.

AutobahnSHO

Can you claim it's a classic and drive up the total $$ amount? (then fix it?)
Will

Speed_Racer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 07, 2011, 01:03:31 AM
Can you claim it's a classic and drive up the total $$ amount? (then fix it?)

No idea. I still haven't heard back from them.

But judging by how hard the repair shops had to look to find replacement parts when making my estimates, it should be considered a classic.

Speed_Racer

Update: It's been in the shop for four days now.

They stuck me with an Aveo as a rental car. What a piece of crap. I'll do a writeup in The Fast Lane Mainstreamers so none of you ever buy one.