Zeta sedan back on?

Started by Mustangfan2003, February 06, 2011, 02:38:32 PM

MX793

The Z28 was originally intended as a homologation special for Trans Am racing.  It wasn't a big-motored, super-powered version of the Camaro.  Its engine was actually the smallest of the available V8s in the Camaro (302ci, destroked version of the hi-po 327) and was intended as a factory-ready road racer.  I think ZL1 is more fitting for the new car than Z28.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on February 09, 2011, 06:06:16 PM
The Z28 was originally intended as a homologation special for Trans Am racing.  It wasn't a big-motored, super-powered version of the Camaro.  Its engine was actually the smallest of the available V8s in the Camaro (302ci, destroked version of the hi-po 327) and was intended as a factory-ready road racer.  I think ZL1 is more fitting for the new car than Z28.

I disagree (not with your facts... those I agree with) in that most people know the top Camaro as being the Z28. From a marketing standpoint, calling it Z28 would have made more sense, because people identify with it. Not a lot of people know what a ZL1 is.

SVT666

Wasn't the top Camaro the SS?

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on February 09, 2011, 06:30:43 PM

Goes back and forth between the SS and Z28.

And I agree that the Z28 name is more popular and recognizable. The ZL1 name still makes sense, though.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on February 09, 2011, 06:30:43 PM

From the 70's all the way to 2002, it was the Z28. Except for a short time in the 80's when it was the IROC-Z.

68_427

No, at least after the facelift the fourth Gen top dog was SS
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

Quote from: 68_427 on February 09, 2011, 06:57:58 PM
No, at least after the facelift the fourth Gen top dog was SS

Ah yeah, the last few years it was SS. My bad.

the Teuton

But it's essentially the same engine as the ZR1. So they'll call this the ZL1.

Not too big of a deal...other than the rarity factor...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Mustangfan2003

What is with GM and all this Z## shit?

the Teuton

Ron Zarella? Zora Arkus Dontov?

Z71, Z72, ZL1, ZR1, Z06, Z28, Z24, Z26, Z51...I can't think of too many more...

...GM used to have a Z-code for all of its Chevy products on some trim level or another. Some were just more popular than others.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

I'm fairly sure that (in most cases) they're the Regular Production Order (RPO) codes that have found their way into popular usage - in '69, for example, optional power windows were A31, power disc brakes JL8, the RS appearance package Z22, the SS package Z27, and Z28 is a so-called Special Performance package - which is why combinations like RS/SS and RS/Z28 exist.

The special 427ci V8 is an interesting one - technically not available in the first-gen Camaro but available for Corvette as RPO ZL1. Sneaky dealers used the Central Office Production Order system to order engines separate from cars for the first year, until Chevrolet got in on the act for a year or two and snuck a few under the hood in the factory when no-one from head office was looking.

I'd hazard a guess that at some point the most well-known ceased to be the actual engine order code and instead became model designations in themselves - a ZR1 these days has an LS6 engine, but ZR1 could be the code for the appearance package, perhaps, or it could have absolutely nothing to do with the car at all.

This isn't just a GM thing, of course - one of the most famous Australian Falcon models is known as RPO 83, which arose after the planned '72 XA Phase IV GTHO was abruptly cancelled, and the various parts earmarked for the model (four-wheel discs, larger carburettor, winged sump etc.) had to be disposed of down the production line so that the parts could still be homologated for racing.