Zeta sedan back on?

Started by Mustangfan2003, February 06, 2011, 02:38:32 PM

Mustangfan2003

San Francisco- General Motors North American President Mark Reuss says the automaker will unveil a vehicle based on the Chevrolet Camaro platform.

Reuss said GM will show off the new vehicle at the Chicago auto show next week. He said it's GM planned to unveil at least one other new vehicle at the show.

Advertisement

"It will be fun," Reuss said told reporters. "I'm not going to give you guys any product information other than what I gave (in the presentation.) I'd ruin the whole show."

The company will advertise the Camaro in one of its six ads it will run during the Super Bowl.

He also said GM's Chevrolet Volt sales over the last two months were somewhat low because GM is working to get demonstration Volts to dealers.

"We're filling the dealer demo program so that all Chevrolet dealers have a chance to get the 'halo' effect to sell more cars," Reuss said. "It drives sales."

He said GM was "pretty much flat" on incentive spending in January but said GM would no longer disclose incentive spending. "We gave too much," Reuss said. "We're in a very competitive business and we're here to win

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110204/AUTO01/102040420/GM-to-debut-Camaro-based-car-at-Chicago-auto-show#ixzz1DDWv31pr

2o6

ATS.

Chicago is a small show, so showing the ATS will steal the show and make everyone focus on it.

Mustangfan2003

The ATS isn't a zeta car though, it's alpha. 

2o6

Knowing GM, it probably will use a shortened Zeta.

Mustangfan2003

Knowing GM they will likely talk a big game about selling the car and then never do it. 

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on February 06, 2011, 05:00:45 PM
Knowing GM, it probably will use a shortened Zeta.

No ATS and Camaro will be on alpha.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CJ

2o6

Laconian

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 06, 2011, 05:14:26 PM
Knowing GM they will likely talk a big game about selling the car and then never do it. rush to market a product that is sabotaged by horrific dealer network and a few major obvious flaws, then cancel it two years later and say "SEE? Americans don't like RWD! They only buy boring cars!"
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Oh, THAT Zeta!

I thought you were talking about this.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on February 07, 2011, 08:41:22 AM

When did that happen?

G8, GTO to a lesser degree, SSR, STS to a lesser degree...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

I forgot about the G8.

STS did well upon introduction. It's just old now.

SSR was a niche halo car. Don't understand why people called it a sales failure....it wasn't exactly a practical car.

GTO? Wrong name.

G8? Should have been called "Chevy Impala".

2o6

TTTT, I always liked the STS over the CTS. The STS looked a bit classier. Heck, I even liked the old FWD STS. One of my favorite Cadillacs.

the Teuton

The STS had a terrible back seat for its size, it wasn't defined as a Lexus LS competitor (for which it would be too small) or a 5er competitor (for which it would be too big), and, most of all, it was never defined as a segment leader.

It had all of the makings of a great car, but GM never fine-tuned the details.

The CTS going upmarket next generation to take over for the STS is exactly what GM needs to do.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

The STS definitely looked cleaner. The current CTS looks a bit bloated. I like the old CTS over both though.

Looking forward to this ATS or w/e the fuck it's gonna be called.

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on February 07, 2011, 08:50:49 AM
G8, GTO to a lesser degree, SSR, STS to a lesser degree...

You forgot the Kappa twins.  Oh, and they killed the Fiero just when they finally got it right.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on February 07, 2011, 06:15:36 PM
You forgot the Kappa twins.  Oh, and they killed the Fiero just when they finally got it right.

I dunno, the Kappa twins were more about the cost of making the thing.

Vinsanity

maybe Cadillac is coming to their senses and using the Zeta chassis for the XTS

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on February 07, 2011, 09:39:39 PM
I dunno, the Kappa twins were more about the cost of making the thing.

I really do wonder that after all of the R&D costs put into it if it was really cheaper to stop production on a car like that, especially considering how well it was selling.

And I wonder what a decent break-even point on it would've been, MSRP-wise. I hope DeLorean buys the tooling for it eventually.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on February 07, 2011, 09:00:32 AM
Develop a friggin specific strategy for Cadillac and (North America) BuickThe CTS going upmarket next generation to take over for the STS is exactly what GM needs to do.

What the hell is GM doing?

For example, the XTS:
-Who are its customers?
-Which cars will it be competing with/is it a unique, niche product?
-How will it increase Cadillac's sales?

I dunno :huh: And I don't think GM knows either.

Laconian

-Customers that are interested in Xtreme Touring.
-The Chevrolet Xtreme.
-Ask GM's business consultants, the Underpants Gnomes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

omicron

Could it be something as straightforward as the Z28?

CJ

Payman

Quote from: omicron on February 08, 2011, 06:03:42 AM
Could it be something as straightforward as the Z28?

No, that's coming this summer with the CTS-V engine.

Payman

Quote from: CJ on February 09, 2011, 01:17:47 PM
It's a ZL1.

You're right. Why they chose that over Z28...

I'm still waiting to see if there's an actual sedan though.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rockraven on February 09, 2011, 01:58:56 PM
You're right. Why they chose that over Z28...

I'm still waiting to see if there's an actual sedan though.

ZL1 was a big block version in 1969, the rarest and most powerful Camaro of that time (and probably up until now). Z28 was more of an all-around performance model, not just a big motor crammed in the engine bay. So the name kind of fits, with the new car having the most powerful engine yet.

Payman

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 09, 2011, 05:57:10 PM
ZL1 was a big block version in 1969, the rarest and most powerful Camaro of that time (and probably up until now). Z28 was more of an all-around performance model, not just a big motor crammed in the engine bay. So the name kind of fits, with the new car having the most powerful engine yet.

Yeah, only 69 were made, but Z28 is what people know. It's synonymous with Camaro.