This is what happens when you f*** a stranger in the ass

Started by 280Z Turbo, February 16, 2011, 06:48:12 PM

280Z Turbo

I got rear ended by some guy about a month ago. I was completely not at fault and there was nothing I could have done to avoid it since there was a car stopped in front of me. We pulled into a nearby parking lot to look at the damage. It was a hard hit, but, amazingly, the only damage was to my bumper. Some deep gouges and missing paint. The guy gave me his contact info, said he would pay for it, and I took a photo of his license plate. He didn't want to me to call the cops because he said he couldn't have another ticket on his record. That should have been a red flag. Unfortunately, I'm a nice guy and said "Eh, this seems minor and that is kind of a tricky intersection. I'll cut my fellow broke college student a break and settle this without getting the law involved". Big mistake.

I got an estimate on the damage, it was about $500. Not cheap, but with all the labor involved in fixing a clear coat paint job, I wasn't surprised. He called BS. He told me that some mechanic told him that it should only cost $130 to fix. I tried to explain to him that no decent body shop would do anything for $130, let alone patch and repaint an entire bumper. After I sent a copy of the invoice he agreed to pay it. I got it fixed and told him to get me the cash by the 16th of February (today). Everything was very cordial and apologetic.

Fast forward to today. I called the guy several times asking when, where, how he's going to get me the money. I put the repair on my credit card and the bill is due on the 17th. Finally I get a text back saying that he isn't the one that hit me. It was actually his friend that was driving and he just took the rap for it since it was his car. It makes no sense to me, but whatever. I can't believe that I missed them switching seats, but I guess I was so shook up that I wasn't paying attention. He goes on to say that his friend has no money and that he's going to have him call me.

By now, I was tired of this BS and headed down to the police station to drop the hammer on both of them. He (they) betrayed my trust...I've been too nice...no more Mr. Nice Guy. I get all of my documents, photos, and proof ready and I come to find out that I can't do anything now. In fact, the officer told me that I could be issued a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident! Why would they do that? How does that serve and protect anyone? I thought I covered my ass quite well, but apparently not. I was so mad leaving the police station that I just about twisted my steering wheel in half and smashed the synchos into dust.

So, as of now I have a bill for $525 (plus credit card interest) and the bastard got away scot free. Call the cops, even if your car isn't that great and it looks minor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBPqoLfPLbw&feature=related

Any LEOs have any ideas?

hounddog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 16, 2011, 06:48:12 PM
I got rear ended by some guy about a month ago. I was completely not at fault and there was nothing I could have done to avoid it since there was a car stopped in front of me. We pulled into a nearby parking lot to look at the damage. It was a hard hit, but, amazingly, the only damage was to my bumper. Some deep gouges and missing paint. The guy gave me his contact info, said he would pay for it, and I took a photo of his license plate. He didn't want to me to call the cops because he said he couldn't have another ticket on his record. That should have been a red flag. Unfortunately, I'm a nice guy and said "Eh, this seems minor and that is kind of a tricky intersection. I'll cut my fellow broke college student a break and settle this without getting the law involved". Big mistake.

QuoteSo, as of now I you have a bill for $525 (plus credit card interest) and the bastard got away scot free. Call the cops, even if your car isn't that great and it looks minor.

Any LEOs have any ideas?
Answered your own question.

Michigan requires reports for crashes of more than $1,000 in damages.  Most departments, not all, will not even take a report if it looks like it will be less than that.  However, he would have at least received a ticket for Failure to Stop in Assured Clear Distance Ahead, a moving violation.

Also, you entered into a civil, verbal contract with him when you agreed to handle it on the down-low.  You effectively took it out of the hands of the police by doing so.  

Since it is much less than $1,000 the best advice I would give is sue him in small claims court.  Or, sue his insurance company.  If he or his insurance company tries to say it was not his fault because someone else was stopped in the road; fail to stop in assured clear distance.  Hitting someone in the rear in MI is prima facia evidence of being at fault since the law requires you to be in control of your vehicle 100% of the time.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

I am certain it is not the answer you were looking for, sorry.

Hope it helps.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Rupert

The title of this thread is cut off on the main page so that it just shows, "This is what happens." I knew the rest of it had to be, "when you fuck a stranger in the ass." :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

bing_oh

Tony's covered it for ya. Once you exchanged information and went on your way, you took any ability to help you away from the police. Now it's a civil dispute and your word against his (whoever "he" is, since he claims not to have been the driver). Small claims court is your only option at this point.

As for the leaving the scene, I can't speak for your state's laws but it's only required in Ohio in case of physical injury. Maybe your state's laws are different, though.

S204STi

I like to get police involved anytime there is an accident.  My local PD has "community service" officers who take care of lower-priority stuff like this.  When I got rear ended it didn't look like it would be that bad but ended up costing the insurance company a couple grand, so I was glad I sat around for an hour with the officer filing a report.