VW 1L car Version 3

Started by Galaxy, February 19, 2011, 01:09:02 PM

Galaxy

A few weeks ago VW has shown the third version of a car that uses 1L/100km (235mpg). The car weighs in at 795kg (1,742lbs). The Cw is 0.186 It is powered by a 0.8L 48hp I2, which is augmented by a 27hp electric engine. Top speed is 160km/h (99mph). 0-100km/h (62mph)  is done in 11.9s.

Allegedly there are "good chances" that it will be built by 2013, at least in small numbers. I'll believe it when I see it. It is being considered to build it along side the Phaeton at the glass factory in Dresden. Apparently it is Euro VI complient and meets the diesel requirements of all US states. If reports in the german press are accurate the cost of the carbon fiber body has been brought down to ?5000, however the production time is still a problem.

Take it with some salt.

Galaxy

For comparison here is Version 2....

.... and Version 1

Laconian

WOW! That looks stunning, as all concept cars tend to be. What parts are going to be toned down in the move to mass production? That's definitely the stuff of sci-fi dreams.

The performance numbers are impressive, too. A great demonstration that featherweight mass and low drag means you can do more with less.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I think this and the Loremo are interesting things to watch.

68_427

This is the 1st one that looks good.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on February 19, 2011, 01:15:21 PM
WOW! That looks stunning, as all concept cars tend to be. What parts are going to be toned down in the move to mass production? That's definitely the stuff of sci-fi dreams.

The performance numbers are impressive, too. A great demonstration that featherweight mass and low drag means you can do more with less.

If it does make it to production I would assume that not much will change. It has to look the part. Besides the body is mostly form follows function. Many parts in the interior (lights switch, vents, buttons etc) do look like they have been taken from the VW parts bin.

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on February 19, 2011, 01:17:08 PM
I think this and the Loremo are interesting things to watch.

The Loremo is  as good as dead. The (only) prototype has been seized by a supplier because of unpayed bills.

omicron

Hello, that looks strangely good.

mzziaz

I wonder what the pricing will be if it makes it into production.
Cuore Sportivo

ifcar

Nothing like upping a car from a one-seater to a two-seater to make it seem practical. Hopefully they don't pull an Insight.

Galaxy

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2011, 05:45:31 AM
Nothing like upping a car from a one-seater to a two-seater to make it seem practical. Hopefully they don't pull an Insight.

Versions 1 and 2 were also two seaters.

AltinD

Quote from: mzziaz on February 20, 2011, 05:41:48 AM
I wonder what the pricing will be if it makes it into production.

VW bosses are talking on the region of Volt and UP, so don't keep any high hopes. ;)

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

Quote from: Galaxy on February 19, 2011, 01:09:02 PM

The set of pictures are taken in Doha, Qatar where the car was unveiled in the Autoshow there (the stae of Qatar is VW's biggest shareholder), but the Passat CC at the back has Dubai number plates. It must belong to VW Middle East that is located here.

AltinD

BTW, if the new small RWD mid-engine coupe planned, that would be shared with Porsche, has the same basic profile design, don't you think it would be gorgeous?

:wub:

Galaxy

Quote from: AltinD on February 20, 2011, 03:11:58 PM
The state of Qatar is VW's biggest shareholde.

Not quite.

Note: The chart is from August 2010 but is  still accurate. The Porsche Automobil Holding SE is owned by the Pi?ch/Porsche family clan. That 50,74% will be be converted into a foundation. The constitution of the that foundation apparently makes it almost impossible for it to sell it's stake in VW (read Pi?ch does not want his collection sold). Also the heirs will get relatively little money out of VW. Most of  VW's profit that the foundation is entitled to will be kicked back into VW or spent on philanthropy. Pi?ch is copying  Robert Bosch who's Robert Bosch foundation owns 92% of the Robert Bosch GmbH.

Cookie Monster

Damn, that thing still weighs more than a CRX.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on February 20, 2011, 05:43:18 PM
Damn, that thing still weighs more than a CRX.

But it will have a fighting chance in an accident. The Loremo weighed just shy of 1000 lbs. I wouldn't want to get into an accident with that.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on February 20, 2011, 08:11:59 PM
But it will have a fighting chance in an accident. The Loremo weighed just shy of 1000 lbs. I wouldn't want to get into an accident with that.
The Loremo uses driver-integrated crumple zones, which uses the driver's body as a medium for shock absorption and dissipation. High tech stuff.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT