1963 Corvette Convertible vs. 1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo

Started by 280Z Turbo, September 17, 2005, 03:09:26 PM

280Z Turbo

My dad finally let me drive his 1963 Corvette convertible today, so I thought I'd compare the 2 cars just for fun. His car is by no means a show winner, but it's still fun.

The steering was incredibly light for non-power steering. I would say it had power steering if I didn't know better. The Z's steering wheel really needs to be cranked hard to get it to turn. The Vette felt great, IMO.

The 4 speed gearbox is wonderful. Very short, very precise shifts. Although, you have to get used to the fact that reverse is right next to first. (You can grind it if you're not aware of this) The Z also feels nice, but it's not nearly as precise as the Corvette. Although, the Z's 5th gear is a very nice thing that I tend to take for granted.

Any throttle input makes the Vette scream out the 2.5" chambered exhaust. The 3" exhaust w/ glasspack on my Z sounds like a wuss compared to this thing! Those who say that 3" exhaust on a Z sounds like a V8 need to hear my dad's car!

The throttle linkage was a bit mushy, I like the Z's linkage better.

The non-hydraulic clutch was a bit stiff and mushy, especially close to the floor, but at least it was smooth. I think it still feels better than the Z's clutch.

The non-power drum brakes worked much better than what I would have thought, you just have to push down a little farther and harder to get them to work. Still, I wouldn't be taking it auto-Xing any time soon. The power front disc brakes on the Z are much better, obviously.

Overall, the car's small interior makes you feel like you're in a fighter jet. The Z feels like this as well, but not as much. Although, with the top down, there are NO BLIND SPOTS which is nice, seeing as how the Z has 2 huge ones in the back. Needless to say, the Z's interior is no match for the Vette. The chrome, aluminum, and soft vinyl feels to be of high quality. The hard plastic and stiff vinyl...not so much. ;)

The ride is a bit stiff, but this is expected in a 40 year old sports car. When you go over railroad tracks, it sounds like it's about to fall apart. Pretty typical of all Corvettes before the C5. The Z obviously rides smoother but still clunks over hard bumps.

I didn't want to push it too hard, but I ain't gonna lie to ya'. I thought it would be faster. ;) The Z has boost, but the Corvette has torque. Both are fun, but I think I'd rather have the torque!

Raza

So you'd take the Corvette over the Z?  

Sounds like fun!  I wish someone in my family would drive something other than default luxury and family cars.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

footoflead

My dad finally let me drive his 1963 Corvette convertible today, so I thought I'd compare the 2 cars just for fun. His car is by no means a show winner, but it's still fun.

The steering was incredibly light for non-power steering. I would say it had power steering if I didn't know better. The Z's steering wheel really needs to be cranked hard to get it to turn. The Vette felt great, IMO.

The 4 speed gearbox is wonderful. Very short, very precise shifts. Although, you have to get used to the fact that reverse is right next to first. (You can grind it if you're not aware of this) The Z also feels nice, but it's not nearly as precise as the Corvette. Although, the Z's 5th gear is a very nice thing that I tend to take for granted.

Any throttle input makes the Vette scream out the 2.5" chambered exhaust. The 3" exhaust w/ glasspack on my Z sounds like a wuss compared to this thing! Those who say that 3" exhaust on a Z sounds like a V8 need to hear my dad's car!

The throttle linkage was a bit mushy, I like the Z's linkage better.

The non-hydraulic clutch was a bit stiff and mushy, especially close to the floor, but at least it was smooth. I think it still feels better than the Z's clutch.

The non-power drum brakes worked much better than what I would have thought, you just have to push down a little farther and harder to get them to work. Still, I wouldn't be taking it auto-Xing any time soon. The power front disc brakes on the Z are much better, obviously.

Overall, the car's small interior makes you feel like you're in a fighter jet. The Z feels like this as well, but not as much. Although, with the top down, there are NO BLIND SPOTS which is nice, seeing as how the Z has 2 huge ones in the back. Needless to say, the Z's interior is no match for the Vette. The chrome, aluminum, and soft vinyl feels to be of high quality. The hard plastic and stiff vinyl...not so much. ;)

The ride is a bit stiff, but this is expected in a 40 year old sports car. When you go over railroad tracks, it sounds like it's about to fall apart. Pretty typical of all Corvettes before the C5. The Z obviously rides smoother but still clunks over hard bumps.

I didn't want to push it too hard, but I ain't gonna lie to ya'. I thought it would be faster. ;) The Z has boost, but the Corvette has torque. Both are fun, but I think I'd rather have the torque!
Sweet :rockon: ,  That is an awesome picture B)

MORE PICS PLEASE!!
[/size]
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

That picture is fantastic...I like it a lot.  Makes both cars look spectacular!  :o  :rockon:  

280Z Turbo

I wish the side-by-side pics were bigger. Photobucket downsized them b/c of the leaves on the ground made the pic too complex.

280Z Turbo

QuoteTurbo hybrid?
Yes it's a hybrid. It's had an engine swap.

Tom

Is that new carpeting in the z?  Does an airbag fit in that steering wheel or did they not do airbags in '76?

giant_mtb

QuoteTurbo hybrid?
How does that make it a hybrid?  :blink:  

Run Away

QuoteIs that new carpeting in the z?  Does an airbag fit in that steering wheel or did they not do airbags in '76?
:blink:

hy?brid   Audio pronunciation of "hybrid" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (hbrd)
n.

1. Genetics. The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races.
        1. Something of mixed origin or composition.
        2. Something, such as a computer or power plant, having two kinds of components that produce the same or similar results.
  3. A word whose elements are derived from different languages.

Raghavan

QuoteTurbo hybrid?
How does that make it a hybrid?  :blink:
He means it's a hybrid because he got an '81 engine and put it in his '76 car, so it's a hybrid of two cars, if you know what i'm trying to say...

280Z Turbo

QuoteIs that new carpeting in the z?  Does an airbag fit in that steering wheel or did they not do airbags in '76?
It is new carpeting and it's cheap crap, but it looks nice. It doesn't have any backing, so it flops around.

Still beats a $240 carpet kit! ;) I'll do it the right way some day.

I don't know why the horn was so fat in the 1974-76 cars. It looks like a go-cart wheel. :lol:  

Raza

The Vette's steering wheel is HUGE.  I noticed that on the 78 I was looking at.  It's enormous!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

QuoteThe Vette's steering wheel is HUGE.  I noticed that on the 78 I was looking at.  It's enormous!
A 78 is a lot smaller than this one. This one is boney too!

It's nice to have that in the turns.

Raza

The grip is nice, but I'd have to say my biggest complaint about older cars is the size of the steering wheels.  Were people giants back then?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Quite the opposite. If you're too fat, your legs wouldn't fit under the giant wheel!

If you've ever driven a car w/o power steering you would understand why a big wheel is nice.

mazda6er

It was a lot more recent than you might think for the first airbags. My mom's '87 LeSabre doesn't have one, and neither does my grandma's '91 Camry. I believe the first airbags were used in cars some time in the 1980s. Front airbags (driver and passenger) were not required by law until 1998!  :o  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

Nice car(s) 280. You're lucky you get a chance to drive 'em. Is the Z 100% yours?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

QuoteIs that new carpeting in the z?  Does an airbag fit in that steering wheel or did they not do airbags in '76?
It was a lot more recent than you might think for the first airbags. My mom's '87 LeSabre doesn't have one, and neither does my grandma's '91 Camry. I believe the first airbags were used in cars some time in the 1980s. Front airbags (driver and passenger) were not required by law until 1998!  :o
My friend's 91 Regal Custom didn't have airbags either.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

QuoteNice car(s) 280. You're lucky you get a chance to drive 'em. Is the Z 100% yours?
Yes, but not legally. I don't think minors can hold the title to a car.

Raghavan

QuoteQuite the opposite. If you're too fat, your legs wouldn't fit under the giant wheel!

If you've ever driven a car w/o power steering you would understand why a big wheel is nice.
More leverage?
But the Elise doesn't have powersteering and has a small steering wheel.

Tom

QuoteQuite the opposite. If you're too fat, your legs wouldn't fit under the giant wheel!

More leverage?
It's lighter.

280Z Turbo

More leverage?
There are many factors that affect steering effort. Tire width, curb weight, design, etc. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The Vette is a totally different car.

Sometimes I wish the Z had a bigger wheel. It's quite heavy.

Raghavan

More leverage?
It's lighter.
So?

Tom

More leverage?
It's lighter.
So?
A car's weight rests on it's wheels.  If you have less weight on the wheels, they will be easier to turn ;)  Turning w/o PS in my car is REALLY hard.  Braking w/o power is really hard too.

280Z Turbo

More leverage?
It's lighter.
So?
A car's weight rests on it's wheels.  If you have less weight on the wheels, they will be easier to turn ;)  Turning w/o PS in my car is REALLY hard.  Braking w/o power is really hard too.
Your car wasn't made for non-power steering and brakes. The steering ratio was designed for p/s and the brakes were designed for vacuum assist.

The Vette stops fine without vacuum assist and the steering feels light to me.

Tom

More leverage?
It's lighter.
So?
Your car wasn't made for non-power steering and brakes. The steering ratio was designed for p/s and the brakes were designed for vacuum assist.

The Vette stops fine without vacuum assist and the steering feels light to me.
Oh.  I kinda figured something like that.