The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

S204STi

hotrodalex

I hit 100 mph last Saturday, in the Bimmer of course. It's just too easy, especially since it was 2 am and the freeway was deserted.

S204STi

dazzleman

Quote from: S204STi on February 17, 2012, 08:43:38 PM
100 again today.  Need a detector.

You really want another ticket, don't you?  :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: S204STi on February 17, 2012, 09:02:59 PM
Apparently.
:lol:
You're sure asking for it.  I understand.  We all get the itch to break out of the rules.  And it's fun to thumb your nose at authority.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

dazzleman

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: dazzleman on February 17, 2012, 09:10:52 PM
Nice!  What kind of road were you on?

Highway between Queretaro and Salamanca:

http://g.co/maps/4arga

On my way to see my girlfriend last weekend. Pretty deserted highway with 4 lanes (2 each way) separated by a very wide median. Basically all straight.

Still, driving alone taking that pic is a bit hairy while driving. I did go a bit faster but that?s the max I dare hold the cell phone.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 17, 2012, 09:16:57 PM
Highway between Queretaro and Salamanca:

http://g.co/maps/4arga

On my way to see my girlfriend last weekend. Pretty deserted highway with 4 lanes (2 each way) separated by a very wide median. Basically all straight.

Still, driving alone taking that pic is a bit hairy while driving. I did go a bit faster but that?s the max I dare hold the cell phone.

Does Mexico have speed limits on roads like that?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on February 17, 2012, 08:43:38 PM
100 again today.  Need a detector.

Yes. This is the one I got to replace me $300 Passport:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025QSN6K?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

It doesn't seem to have quite the same range, but it works well enough, and cost
way less than a speeding ticket.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: dazzleman on February 17, 2012, 09:20:51 PM
Does Mexico have speed limits on roads like that?

Yes, of course. Limit is 110km/h.

However, you probably would have to be driving at above 135 kph to get stopped. An when that happens, the consequences are pretty light compared to the U.S. or, god forbid, Europe. I have been stopped about 4 or 5 times in my life for speeding. For starters, you won?t get arrested no matter the speed - unless you try to get away which I would never ever do.

It?s about a 100 US penalty, that?s it. No federal system for license points, so that is about it.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Speed_Racer

Tapped 90 on the moto several times today. And got in a great 75 mph lean on a long sweeper. It felt so good!

S204STi

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 17, 2012, 09:40:31 PM
Yes. This is the one I got to replace me $300 Passport:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025QSN6K?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

It doesn't seem to have quite the same range, but it works well enough, and cost
way less than a speeding ticket.

Hmm.  Might think about this one too since it's battery-operated:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1394901&CatId=5255

Rupert

How prevalent is laser and instant-on/POP? I do a lot of empty-road driving, and I never bothered to get a detector, because I have always assumed the cops are using laser or instant on/POP (and last I checked, you can't effectively detect laser or instant on/POP on an empty highway until it's too late).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Typically I'm not really on an empty road; my driving is all urban and Fucking Packed interstate, so I would think I'd be getting some stray signals downrange coming off of cars ahead of me.  Unless they try to judge speed before they pop a car to avoid giving a warning...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on February 17, 2012, 09:59:28 PM
How prevalent is laser and instant-on/POP? I do a lot of empty-road driving, and I never bothered to get a detector, because I have always assumed the cops are using laser or instant on/POP (and last I checked, you can't effectively detect laser or instant on/POP on an empty highway until it's too late).

Not sure, but I'd guess 50/50. Sometimes, they just sit there with K or Ka constantly on, and then you get plenty of warning.
Once your laser alarm goes off, it's too late, but at least you know they got you. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on February 17, 2012, 09:59:28 PM

I was with my buddy when he got popped by instant-on while using a radar detector.  I used to use one but found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

dazzleman

Quote from: S204STi on February 17, 2012, 10:04:13 PM
Typically I'm not really on an empty road; my driving is all urban and Fucking Packed interstate, so I would think I'd be getting some stray signals downrange coming off of cars ahead of me.  Unless they try to judge speed before they pop a car to avoid giving a warning...

The problem is that the stray signals are easy to misinterpret as false alarms.  It's not worth the trouble,  and constantly having to interpret the false alarms takes all tge fun out of speeding.  It's a lot more fun to just drive bareback and take your chances.

You have a bad boy deep inside you that's longing to come out.  Just let him and take what comes. :lol:

CALL_911

Drove home yesterday, hit a max speed of 110 mph. At one point, I was doing about 85 and I saw a state trooper on the other side of the road stop and make a U-turn (so to go in my direction). I was the only car on the road, so I assumed he went after me for a ticket. I took the nearest exit and voila, no ticket.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 18, 2012, 07:19:03 AM
Drove home yesterday, hit a max speed of 110 mph. At one point, I was doing about 85 and I saw a state trooper on the other side of the road stop and make a U-turn (so to go in my direction). I was the only car on the road, so I assumed he went after me for a ticket. I took the nearest exit and voila, no ticket.

:rockon:
Nice move, Ro.  It's great to successfully pull a maneuver like that and get over on the boys in blue that way.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on February 18, 2012, 07:21:14 AM
:rockon:
Nice move, Ro.  It's great to successfully pull a maneuver like that and get over on the boys in blue that way.

Yeah, felt good. I should be more vigilant, though.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 18, 2012, 07:24:19 AM
Yeah, felt good. I should be more vigilant, though.

I guess, but you need a balance.  If you're hypervigilant, it takes all the fun out of it.  Part of the fun of speeding is the risk you know you're taking.

The most dangerous situation in terms of getting bagged for speeding is when you have the road to yourself.  That's also the time when it's most difficult to resist the temptation to lead-foot the accelerator.  Life is tough sometimes.... :lol:

The only times I've ever really gotten speeding tickets have been when I had the road to myself.  Still, when I find myself in that situation, I can't resist the temptation to open it up.

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on February 18, 2012, 04:33:11 AM
I was with my buddy when he glt popped by instant-on while using a radar detector.  I used to use one but found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

Same here.  I haven't gotten a ticket (KNOCK ON WOOD!) since I stopped using one.

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on February 18, 2012, 07:53:31 AM
Same here.  I haven't gotten a ticket (KNOCK ON WOOD!) since I stopped using one.

I think in some ways, they actually increase your chances of getting a ticket.  People who use them drive faster, and tend to think the detector offers them blanket protection, so they're not as vigilant about the other signs of enforcement in the area.

And if you get busted with one, you're not likely to get any sort of break from the cops.

Plus, they don't help with lidar/laser at all.  My last ticket was a laser ticket, so I'd have gotten popped that time even if I'd been using a detector.

They're a gadget that appeals to the badass image a lot of people want, but I find them less than optimal.

Eye of the Tiger

I never got a ticket with my detectors. They work if you know how to use them.

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 18, 2012, 08:08:08 AM

You have a million tickets, so you must not be using it enough.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on February 18, 2012, 08:13:48 AM
You have a million tickets, so you must not be using it enough.

I used it on my SRT-4 because I knew it'd be a cop magnet. Never got a ticket in that. I haven't gotten a ticket in my Accent, either, because I use my detector all the time.

Cobra93

I bought a Valentine One detector last summer and drove cross country running 85-90. It paid for itself in that trip alone.  :ohyeah:

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 18, 2012, 08:08:08 AM

How do you use them, other than the obvious it-beeped-now-slow-down?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA