The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: Cobra93 on February 18, 2012, 09:32:13 AM
I bought a Valentine One detector last summer and drove cross country running 85-90. It paid for itself in that trip alone.  :ohyeah:

That's what everybody who owns a detector says.  Without a detector, they'd get a ticket practically every day, according to them.  ;)
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Speed_Racer

cawimmer430

Drove to Bidingen today which is roughly 90 km away from Munich. The fastest I drove going both ways (to and back home) was 200 km/h.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

S204STi

Ah shit.  Just got my new motorcycle policy in the mail.  Rates went up $60/yr on the bike due to my ticket in march of last year.  That's like a 30% increase.  I haven't seen the auto policy, and I'm a bit concerned. :lol:

Speed_Racer

Quote from: dazzleman on February 18, 2012, 07:03:03 PM
What vehicle?  Open road in Utah?

Ninja - it was on I-15, but in that vacuum when you get caught between clumps of traffic.

The highways that head west to the desert are really good speeding roads: flat, empty, and you can see to the horizon.

dazzleman

Quote from: S204STi on February 21, 2012, 12:17:11 AM
Ah shit.  Just got my new motorcycle policy in the mail.  Rates went up $60/yr on the bike due to my ticket in march of last year.  That's like a 30% increase.  I haven't seen the auto policy, and I'm a bit concerned. :lol:

Yikes, I hope the auto policy doesn't have a similar increase.  You have just two tickets, right?

Raza

Hit 95 today playing cat and mouse with a Panamera 4S.  That was fun.  Also, I cut off a managing director on the way to work. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24324.msg1672581#msg1672581 date=1329830906
Hit 95 today playing cat and mouse with a Panamera 4S.  That was fun.  Also, I cut off a managing director on the way to work. 
:lol:

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on February 18, 2012, 01:51:43 PM
That's what everybody who owns a detector says.  Without a detector, they'd get a ticket practically every day, according to them.  ;)

Not me, but they have saved my bacon more than once. 

I've had a detector in my cars since about 1984.

BTW, today I drove the limit most of my commute.  Who's in a hurry to get to work?   ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on February 18, 2012, 01:11:15 PM
How do you use them, other than the obvious it-beeped-now-slow-down?

I actually don't slow down when it beeps, I speed up. Take that, The Man!!!! :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 21, 2012, 07:55:06 AM
Not me, but they have saved my bacon more than once. 

I've had a detector in my cars since about 1984.

BTW, today I drove the limit most of my commute.  Who's in a hurry to get to work?   ;)

Have you gotten any tickets while using a detector?

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on February 21, 2012, 09:15:04 AM
Have you gotten any tickets while using a detector?

Only when they zapped me with instant on or laser or I was paced.  A detector isn't a cure all.  It's a help.    In my experience a detector is most useful when there is a cop on the shoulder zapping others and your detector picks up those beams before you get up to the cop's kill zone.  Does that make sense?

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on February 21, 2012, 06:03:27 AM
Yikes, I hope the auto policy doesn't have a similar increase.  You have just two tickets, right?

Yeah.  They appear to have overlooked the one from December 2010, but the one in March 2011 is going to eat my lunch apparently.  Maybe I'll just call up and cancel my coverage (after shopping around) and see if that causes them to reconsider...

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on February 21, 2012, 06:28:26 AM

:clap:

YO

BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

CALL_911

Hit 105 on the drive up to school yesterday. Made the 205 mile trip up in 2:45, making for an average of 75 mph. Not bad, I say.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 21, 2012, 09:41:13 PM
Hit 105 on the drive up to school yesterday. Made the 205 mile trip up in 2:45, making for an average of 75 mph. Not bad, I say.

That's a very good average.  I was surprised how difficult it is to maintain a high average speed, even on a long drive.  Even stopping to pay a toll can signficantly bring down average speed for a long period of time.

The best I've ever been able to average is around 72 mph, and that's with pushing well beyond 80 mph at every opportunity.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on February 25, 2012, 07:22:04 AM
That's a very good average.  I was surprised how difficult it is to maintain a high average speed, even on a long drive.  Even stopping to pay a toll can signficantly bring down average speed for a long period of time.

The best I've ever been able to average is around 72 mph, and that's with pushing well beyond 80 mph at every opportunity.

I once averaged 84 on the way to Altoona.  That included an eery run for 30+ miles pegged at 130mph.  No wonder I used to get 19 highway!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24324.msg1674787#msg1674787 date=1330185881
I once averaged 84 on the way to Altoona.  That included an eery run for 30+ miles pegged at 130mph.  No wonder I used to get 19 highway!

Oh man, that sounds like a great drive!  :rockon:

cawimmer430

Cruised at a leisurely 140 km/h today. 87.5 mph to be precise. Suck on that, Malaise Era cars with your 85 mph speedometers!  :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 25, 2012, 10:43:39 AM
Cruised at a leisurely 140 km/h today. 87.5 mph to be precise. Suck on that, Malaise Era cars with your 85 mph speedometers!  :lol:

I hate to burst your bubble, but those malaise era cars could barely handle 70 mph.  They were very badly built and seriously underpowered, plus their handling was abysmal.  Highway speeds have really increased since that time.  When I first learned to drive, 70 mph on the highway around here was considered super fast.  Driving at that speed felt pretty unsafe in a car that had loose steering, poor suspension, and bad road traction.  Today, 70 mph is probably about average speed on the highways here, but many people (including myself) regularly drive considerably faster.

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on February 25, 2012, 02:05:35 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but those malaise era cars could barely handle 70 mph.  They were very badly built and seriously underpowered, plus their handling was abysmal.  Highway speeds have really increased since that time.  When I first learned to drive, 70 mph on the highway around here was considered super fast.  Driving at that speed felt pretty unsafe in a car that had loose steering, poor suspension, and bad road traction.  Today, 70 mph is probably about average speed on the highways here, but many people (including myself) regularly drive considerably faster.

They were meant to be parked on the side of the road and you were supposed to make use of those comfortable rear seats (or the extra space behind them if it was a wagon).  :winkguy:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on February 25, 2012, 09:04:41 AM

Nice. Best I've done is 115 for ~6 miles. I usually run into traffic or talk some sense into myself when I'm going over 100.

rohan

102 in a 55 for a couple moments just to post in this thread and piss off whatshisface. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

See my full tank of gas? I want to keep it that way, hence cruising at 140 km/h.  :zzz:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on February 26, 2012, 07:03:05 PM
102 in a 55 for a couple moments just to post in this thread and piss off whatshisface. 

Pfft. Only 102? 

dazzleman

Eye of the Tiger

I did 74 in this Peterbilt. It's governed at 70. H4xx0r!!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)