The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

S204STi

Had some prolonged 90-100mph cruising yesterday evening.  Good stuff.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on April 19, 2012, 09:38:48 AM
Had some prolonged 90-100mph cruising yesterday evening.  Good stuff.

Yeah, remember when that Kenworth passed you doing about 120? That was me.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hounddog

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

S204STi

Pulled the trigger on a detector today.  On the way!  $68 (on sale from $140) beats $200 and points and higher insurance.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on April 24, 2012, 10:03:52 PM
Whistler XTR 540 cordless on order.

WRT hey that's like mine, but mine has a cord.

S204STi

The first couple of uses are interesting.  I find that there are a lot of singles flying about on a given commute.  Looks like the local enforcement uses mainly X and K bands.  X band is weird because that's also what the radar thingies at traffic lights use, so I have to discern which is which.  City mode helps a bit with cutting that out though.

I also picked up a VG-2 signal yesterday; basically a radar detector detector.  Not sure why they would need those here since they're legal; perhaps to help track down the habitual speeders?

rohan

Quote from: S204STi on April 30, 2012, 10:58:37 AM
The first couple of uses are interesting.  I find that there are a lot of singles flying about on a given commute.  Looks like the local enforcement uses mainly X and K bands.  X band is weird because that's also what the radar thingies at traffic lights use, so I have to discern which is which.  City mode helps a bit with cutting that out though.

I also picked up a VG-2 signal yesterday; basically a radar detector detector.  Not sure why they would need those here since they're legal; perhaps to help track down the habitual speeders?
The most used now is Ka - X is older and K is more modern but Ka is what most newer radars are in maybe the last 10 years.  Remember if an officer is using his antenna on/off switch you get about a 0.4 seconds to perceive and react- 1) realize the threat 2) compose a plan of action 3) cause your body to make an action  4)effect the speed of your vehicle
In other words it takes the average person about 2-5 seconds to complete the perceive and react to something when driving according to study. http://www.monash.edu.au/miri/research/reports/other/hfr12.pdf  

People also have to remember the brain can only do so many tasks at once (some studies show as few as 4 things including keeping your vehicle between the lines and pressure on the accelerator) before it gets Distraction Overload- a condition that's being pretty extensively studied- and from what I understand every distraction you add slows you down in a compounding effect as your brain gets more taxed.  Sorry for wandering away from my point which is your ability to react is directly affected and slowed by the distractions in your car.  (sorry bout that :lol:)

By the way this is an interesting read and something we used to help build our traffic enforcement model to fit our needs
http://www.distracteddriving.ca/presentations/Panel-RangeOfDistractions-SpeakerYannis.pdf
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

S204STi

Found some Ka and Ka POP today.

I figure that, at most, this gives me a warning if someone up ahead of me gets popped.  I still have to be alert and vigilant.  Also, having good brakes helps. :lol:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hounddog

85.  All going south on almost completely empty freeway.

Coming back up was a different story.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

cawimmer430

On Sunday on the Autobahn from Ingolstadt back to Munich. Wanted to get home ASAP. Reached 230 km/h later even though the top speed of a 118i is officially "210 km/h".

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

70 indicated on the El Camino's speedometer, which is like 80. Fastest I've gone so far.

MexicoCityM3

Hit 270kph indicated last Friday on the E90 for a few seconds. Sorry, too fast for speedo pics!
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

S204STi

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 07, 2012, 06:16:24 PM
Hit 270kph indicated last Friday on the E90 for a few seconds. Sorry, too fast for speedo pics!

At any speed the phone should be in one's pocket anyway,  IMO. ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on May 07, 2012, 06:26:07 PM
At any speed the phone should be in one's pocket anyway,  IMO. ;)

I never drive with my phone in my pocket. Then it's dangerously difficult to access when I have to answer it!

Rupert

I take it out of my pocket for long drives so I don't push any buttons.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

S204STi

Rupert

Rupert

S204STi

Secret Chimp

57 in a 35. Go Go Gadget Dodge First Gear.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Eye of the Tiger

S204STi

0-60 in 2 seconds cuz you don't have to shift out of first, right?

Raza

I keep my phone taped over the gauges, so I can access it and use the speakerphone.  On the downside, I only know how fast I'm going when I have the camera app engaged. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on May 08, 2012, 09:50:06 AM
I keep my phone taped over the gauges, so I can access it and use the speakerphone.  On the downside, I only know how fast I'm going when I have the camera app engaged. 

:like: