The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

cawimmer430

Did about 400 km of Autobahn driving today visiting a friend far far away. Cruised between 120 and 170 km/h depending on where those pesky 120 km/h speed limit signs were. The highest speed I reached today was around 205 km/h but I generally sustained a high speed between 190 and 200 km/h for about three minutes max. Heavy traffic on the 'Bahn today. And this was on the way home. I needed to get home in time to see the Germany vs Denmark match!  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

Hit 104 today on the drive back to school.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

Got some good passing done on the 2 lane country backroads today. Must have hit about 80 or 90. The Focus is getting tired though. 3rd gear is grinding about 50% of the time when I engage it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 17, 2012, 09:29:17 PM
Got some good passing done on the 2 lane country backroads today. Must have hit about 80 or 90. The Focus is getting tired though. 3rd gear is grinding about 50% of the time when I engage it.

Use my clutchless-double-clutch technique and never grind another gear.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 17, 2012, 09:38:48 PM
Use my clutchless-double-clutch technique and never grind another gear.

Well, it doesn't grind as much when I granny shift.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 17, 2012, 09:29:17 PM

Brum has 140k on its transmission and the worst I get is a "ptang" if I shift to 2nd too fast. Go brum.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 17, 2012, 10:10:12 PM
Brum has 140k on its transmission and the worst I get is a "ptang" if I shift to 2nd too fast. Go brum.

The MTX-75 is a heavy duty motherfucker of a transmission with shitty synchros. It weighs nearly as much as a DSM trans. We've never had an issue with synchros on the much lighter Honda trans and we race them!

I also wonder if the cables being out of adjustment may have caused difficulty engaging 3rd. Oh well. The damage is done.

cawimmer430

Relaxed cruising at 160 km/h (precisely 100 mph) today.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT_Power

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 17, 2012, 10:17:04 PM
The MTX-75 is a heavy duty motherfucker of a transmission with shitty synchros. It weighs nearly as much as a DSM trans. We've never had an issue with synchros on the much lighter Honda trans and we race them!

I also wonder if the cables being out of adjustment may have caused difficulty engaging 3rd. Oh well. The damage is done.

I think some of the contour people had issues with synchros as well. I had no such issues  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

280Z Turbo

Im pretty sure you didnt have the mtx-75.

2o6

My car had 152K, and that's the one thing that DID work.

dazzleman

I'm home sick today, so I didn't drive at all.... :(  That makes my top speed for the day 0 mph.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on June 19, 2012, 03:12:33 PM
I'm home sick today, so I didn't drive at all.... :(  That makes my top speed for the day 0 mph.

You should get a ticket for such a wussy speed!  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 19, 2012, 03:16:48 PM
You should get a ticket for such a wussy speed!  :devil:

:lol:
That would be too lame a ticket even for me...
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

cawimmer430

On the way to Augsburg this morning for today's classic car shoot. I didn't really drive economically switching between 130 km/h cruising speed and a few minutes of 170-180 km/h stretches. Notice my full gas tank.

And this was on the way back. 220 km/h (max verified speed is 235 km/h but I am not sure how off the speedometer is...). I drove down at 200-220 km/h the whole way. Now look at my gas tank.   :lol:

VIDEOS: SEE AND HEAR WIMMER'S CAR IN ACTION AT 220 KM/H!!!  :rockon:

WARNING, these videos are VERY LOUD. My friggin engine is screaming!  :lol:

VIDEO 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qp1n16OYpk

VIDEO 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiGGyahLtYU

And to think that my tires are in such crap condition. I shouldn't be doing these speeds with my used-up tires.  :mask:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

SVT_666, you need to answer this question!

Eye of the Tiger

TBR

Is it really that much of an accomplishment for a manual transmission to make it to 150k+? I mean the Prelude ground a little bit going into third until I figured out how to work it just right, but it seems pretty likely that that transmission had 309k on it when I bought the car. The Subaru has 178k on its original transmission with no changing problems. Maybe it's just because I'm not very aggressive with my shifting. :huh:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TBR on June 24, 2012, 09:36:42 PM
Is it really that much of an accomplishment for a manual transmission to make it to 150k+? I mean the Prelude ground a little bit going into third until I figured out how to work it just right, but it seems pretty likely that that transmission had 309k on it when I bought the car. The Subaru has 178k on its original transmission with no changing problems. Maybe it's just because I'm not very aggressive with my shifting. :huh:

It shouldn't be.

Between clutches and synchros, I've always thought that automatic transmissions were more reliable. Or at least they are nowadays.

TBR

From a dollar perspective, I think that's probably not too far off. A clutch will be needed by 150k, but plenty of autos go well past that without a problem.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TBR on June 24, 2012, 10:24:17 PM
From a dollar perspective, I think that's probably not too far off. A clutch will be needed by 150k, but plenty of autos go well past that without a problem.

I am hard on my tranny, I'll admit that. I love to drop it into third and blast out of corners as fast as possible. I think the Focus may have an issue as well, though. 3rd gear synchro issues are not uncommon.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 24, 2012, 10:15:24 PM
It shouldn't be.

Between clutches and synchros, I've always thought that automatic transmissions were more reliable. Or at least they are nowadays.

I always thought that about the old ones.

Say what you will about GM 3-speed hydramatics, but there were very few problems they had that couldn't be solved by a filter and fluid change.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

cawimmer430

Briefly hit 215 km/h on Sunday and stayed there for a few minutes when driving back to Munich from the 100 km distant town of Bidingen. Pretty much drove between 160-180 km/h at night the whole time. And I only had four hours of sleep on that day to. I was dead tired and couldn't wait to get home and sleep.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

GoCougs

Manual transmissions are definitely longer lived than automatic transmissions. ATs have seals, bands, clutch packs, solenoids, and a pump, all of which are very susceptible to heat. MTs have none of those finicky parts and it's practically impossible to overheat a MT. It is also entirely possible for a clutch to last the life of a MT, baring extreme applications (high hp, off roading, etc.)

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on July 23, 2012, 12:31:00 PM
Manual transmissions are definitely longer lived than automatic transmissions. ATs have seals, bands, clutch packs, solenoids, and a pump, all of which are very susceptible to heat. MTs have none of those finicky parts and it's practically impossible to overheat a MT. It is also entirely possible for a clutch to last the life of a MT, baring extreme applications (high hp, off roading, etc.)

Wrong thread?

SVT_Power

Hit 250 km/h according to the digital speed readout in the CTS-V yesterday  :praise:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 28, 2012, 11:54:15 AM
Hit 250 km/h according to the digital speed readout in the CTS-V yesterday  :praise:

Somewhere in Ontario, an officer is getting the 'cuffs ready..... :lol:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi