The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: Onslaught on October 20, 2013, 05:10:39 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Yes, that's pretty much the reason I don't take speedo shots.  I don't know how Wimmer does it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Onslaught

Quote from: dazzleman on October 20, 2013, 05:32:10 PM
Yes, that's pretty much the reason I don't take speedo shots.  I don't know how Wimmer does it.
I'm old. I can't use these new phones and drive over 100 mph. With the speed, electronics and the passing of gas it's just too many things going on at one time.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 20, 2013, 04:22:08 PM
^How far do you drive in a month?

It depends on where I get business. The last few weeks have been very hectic and busy for me, so I've been doing a lot of driving. On average I do about 1,000 km a month give or take.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on October 20, 2013, 05:32:10 PM

I know how my car drives and I am also used to these high speeds, so taking a picture of my speedometer at speed isn't much of an issue. But as an extra safety measure I only take pictures of how fast I drive on the straights and when there are no cars in front of me.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

280Z Turbo

Some turd in a Grand Pricks was tailgating me so I took it up to 110. The jerk caught up to me again at the next stop sign. :rage:

Soup DeVille

Buried the (85 MPH) speedometer on the wagon today.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 09, 2013, 05:01:24 PM

I'm assuming you left a trail of oily metal fragments in your wake.

Eye of the Tiger

It's always so amazing when the needle disappears into the dash and you have no idea how fast you're going.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 09, 2013, 05:45:05 PM
It's always so amazing when the needle disappears into the dash and you have no idea how fast you're going.

:lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

:rockon:

How old is that car, with an 85 mph speedo?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

I hit 90 mph for a short stretch today on the Merritt Parkway in CT, but most of the time, I was doing 75-80 mph.

I also did 80 mph for a good stretch on the Taconic Parkway in New York today, the site of my last speeding ticket a few months ago.  It felt good to drive by the spot at the same speed at which I got nailed.  I saw a cop ticketing a guy a little further down the road, but there was no major trap there as there was the day I got nailed.

My drive back from Boston last weekend was a major flop.  I planned it out with the intention of doing some major speeding, leaving at 7 am to avoid traffic.  But once I got going, it started raining and the temperature hovered around the freezing mark.  I had to slow way down from the speeds I intended to go because of the danger of slippery roads.

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on December 07, 2013, 11:16:37 PM
I hit 90 mph for a short stretch today on the Merritt Parkway in CT, but most of the time, I was doing 75-80 mph.

I also did 80 mph for a good stretch on the Taconic Parkway in New York today, the site of my last speeding ticket a few months ago.  It felt good to drive by the spot at the same speed at which I got nailed.  I saw a cop ticketing a guy a little further down the road, but there was no major trap there as there was the day I got nailed.

My drive back from Boston last weekend was a major flop.  I planned it out with the intention of doing some major speeding, leaving at 7 am to avoid traffic.  But once I got going, it started raining and the temperature hovered around the freezing mark.  I had to slow way down from the speeds I intended to go because of the danger of slippery roads.

90 on the Merritt... fun!  Certainly not straight.  I like how there are only about 2 spots for the cops to hide on that road.

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on December 08, 2013, 09:12:20 AM
90 on the Merritt... fun!  Certainly not straight.  I like how there are only about 2 spots for the cops to hide on that road.

It is a great road for speeding at the rare times that conditions allow it.  And there's virtually no enforcement on that road because there are no shoulders in most spots, as you say.  In all my years driving the Merritt, I've only seen people pulled over a couple of times.

I-95 is actually pretty similar, with a couple of exceptions.  The long stretch between exits 18 and 19 is a favorite spot for the staties to try to nail speeders.  But most of the time, I think they're so relieved if the traffic on that road is actually moving that they're not inclined to interfere.

I hit 91 mph on I-95 when I took the A6 for a test drive on it a few weeks ago.  That was fun, but I wasn't able to maintain it for long because of the traffic.  That's why I love the Boston to CT drives that I sometimes take.  I try to schedule them for early Sunday morning, in the hope that I can really fly for an extended period of time.  I find that my need for speed hasn't diminished at all with age.  If anything, I drive faster now than I did in my teens and 20s because of the superior cars I'm driving now as compared to the pieces of shit I had back then.

12,000 RPM

I hit 100 a few times yesterday on my drive back down to NC from NY. Cops got me at 91. I have problems with not being the fastest car on the road/riding in slow traffic clusters.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

dazzleman

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2013, 09:31:59 AM
I hit 100 a few times yesterday on my drive back down to NC from NY. Cops got me at 91. I have problems with not being the fastest car on the road/riding in slow traffic clusters.

Sounds like a fun drive, ticket notwithstanding.  In my mind, the ticket was worth it for such a fun drive.  But I'm a recalcitrant prick... :lol:

Mustangfan2003

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 09, 2013, 05:07:36 PM
I'm assuming you left a trail of oily metal fragments in your wake.

You're always so upbeat.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on December 07, 2013, 11:14:16 PM
:rockon:

How old is that car, with an 85 mph speedo?

Its a '91, which I think is about the end of that ridiculousness. Anyways, using the speedo alongside the speedbox app on my phone, I find the gauge reads a little fast anyways, so if I'm going over 80, the needle just stays buried. Got the old girl up to 105 on a short stretch of highway (by the phone) later. Starts to run out of gumption right around there, but she probably has a few more MPHs left in her at that point.

Rupert

Lot of vibration and shaking at that speed, or was it pretty stable?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on December 09, 2013, 02:37:28 AM
Lot of vibration and shaking at that speed, or was it pretty stable?

Kinda floaty. Nothing shaking though.

3.0L V6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 09, 2013, 05:05:47 AM
Kinda floaty. Nothing shaking though.

One wonders how it would handle at 120+ with some work on that 302. Terrifying, I'd imagine.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 09, 2013, 06:35:45 PM
One wonders how it would handle at 120+ with some work on that 302. Terrifying, I'd imagine.

Nahhh.

OK, so a lot of cars start to change their attitude around 120, so maybe I guess. But really, I don't think it would be that bad. I'd want a decent set of tires for sho, but I don't think it'd be half as scary as, oh, a swing axle VW buggy at that speed...

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 09, 2013, 08:39:43 PM
How could a VW possibly go that fast?

Science!

People have built VWs like that for decades

3.0L V6

Well, cracked the triple digit mark today. Just a shade over 100 mph (in a 55 zone) on a beautiful straight stretch (~13kms/8 miles) of straight and flat.

The car was almost maxed out there - doubt I would have done much more than 105 mph, considering that wee little 1.6L only puts out 103 hp and was just shy of the redline - next gear would have put it far off the power peak.

Haven't done that in a bit. What a refreshing feeling!

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't think I've gone over 65 in a month, gotta love this shit ass weather.

Most days consist of a 40MPH commute to work.

dazzleman

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 14, 2013, 06:19:40 PM
Well, cracked the triple digit mark today. Just a shade over 100 mph (in a 55 zone) on a beautiful straight stretch (~13kms/8 miles) of straight and flat.

The car was almost maxed out there - doubt I would have done much more than 105 mph, considering that wee little 1.6L only puts out 103 hp and was just shy of the redline - next gear would have put it far off the power peak.

Haven't done that in a bit. What a refreshing feeling!

:clap:

Nice, man.  I'm jealous.  I don't think I went over 25 mph today.  The snow started early and the roads were slippery as hell.

Rich

An Audi A1 S Line to about 110 yesterday
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT