Modern interpretation of the E-Type.

Started by Payman, February 21, 2011, 03:51:26 PM

SVT666

Is it wrong that I love those wire wheels too?  Damn this thing is hot.  If they actually did build it, it would be my new Lottery Car.

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 21, 2011, 11:04:43 PM

What does this mean to me?

Point still stands. It has no imagination, and it's boring. If you guys wanna get off on having the same crap fed to you, go ahead.

Stuff like this is the reason why US cars are so bland.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on February 21, 2011, 11:14:34 PM

What does this mean to me?

Point still stands. It has no imagination, and it's boring. If you guys wanna get off on having the same crap fed to you, go ahead.

Stuff like this is the reason why US cars are so bland.
Ummmmm...This is British.

thewizard16

Quote from: 2o6 on February 21, 2011, 10:46:29 PM
And there is no imagination and not much creativity. It's too literal, and doesn't have much imagination aside from an ugly front fascia.
You have used the word literal far too many times in this thread. We get it. You think it's just the original with a few tweaks. Please find a new way to express your opinion if you want to keep repeating it.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

giant_mtb

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on February 21, 2011, 11:09:09 PM
Is it wrong that I love those wire wheels too?  Damn this thing is hot.  If they actually did build it, it would be my new Lottery Car.
I dunno, I really like the wire wheels too. I normally don't, but they seem very fitting for this car.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

I think if they were smaller, the wheels would be alright. I do think that the wire wheels add something to it, though.

And 2o6, give me break. It looks good, and it's just a way to see what could have been, so to say. The point was obviously not to break new automotive design ground. Feel free to design one yourself.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on February 21, 2011, 09:30:05 PM
(Almost) Everyone in here is gushing over it. I don't think you're going to sway many opinions by calling it "ugly."
I was unaware that the point of this thread was to come to a consensus. Let me clarify- thanks for you guys opinions, here is mine: it's not a modern interpretation at all, it's an E-Type with less extreme proportions and cartoonishly huge wire wheels. As I said, a modern XK with less flubber would be a more accurate "modern interpretation of the E-Type".... in my opinion. In my opinion, there's little to nothing modern about it; the shape, the details, the size of the car all immediately scream "1960s sports car". In fact, thinking about it I see what exactly the connection is:

Now granted, obviously the Jag rendering is a bit more cab forward, but the use of chrome and general profile are very similar- much more so than any modern cars outside of TVRs. Design wise I don't see any connections to any cars today- other than the freakishly large wire wheels, which are probably the most incongruent part of the design. If someone threw 20s on an actual E Type you guys would be sacrificing goats to seek out the Jaguar gods' mercy so I'm not sure what the positive consensus is about.

the Teuton

I don't like the headlights, and I don't think it's modern enough. Although modern means it'd weigh 4,500 lbs.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

What a stunning effort. That rear quarter panel is by far the best; the way it flows lusciously into the roof, wheelarch and door is exquisite, and pure E-type. I love how the sills gently fold away under the doors, too, like the Maserati GranTurismo. I'll even take the wire wheels, although preferably downsized two inches. More importantly, however, the proportions are delightful - I haven't seen as good an interpretation of a classic fastback coupe in a long, long time. This is good design, irrespective of what you think of the style.

I would like to see an example with single headlights, as others have said. But my God, the more I look at it, the better it gets.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 22, 2011, 05:02:00 AM
I was unaware that the point of this thread was to come to a consensus. Let me clarify- thanks for you guys opinions, here is mine: it's not a modern interpretation at all, it's an E-Type with less extreme proportions and cartoonishly huge wire wheels. As I said, a modern XK with less flubber would be a more accurate "modern interpretation of the E-Type".... in my opinion. In my opinion, there's little to nothing modern about it; the shape, the details, the size of the car all immediately scream "1960s sports car". In fact, thinking about it I see what exactly the connection is:

Now granted, obviously the Jag rendering is a bit more cab forward, but the use of chrome and general profile are very similar- much more so than any modern cars outside of TVRs. Design wise I don't see any connections to any cars today- other than the freakishly large wire wheels, which are probably the most incongruent part of the design. If someone threw 20s on an actual E Type you guys would be sacrificing goats to seek out the Jaguar gods' mercy so I'm not sure what the positive consensus is about.

+1000000

Said everything about the design I was thinking in my head.

I don't HATE the design, stylistically. I think it is pretty, and does look attractive. But I don't see the second coming that you guys see....it's just too generic and far too much of a literal interpretation of the old E-type. The overall proportions of the car (not long enough, much too tall) ruin the grace that was the old E-type, which was such a stunning car. The shut lines even mimic the old car, which is pretty terrible, boring and unimaginative.

It just looks like a kit car from some generic company that uses a C6 vette underneath or something.

hotrodalex

Single headlights and smaller wheels (20s instead of 22s, maybe) and I would kill to own one.

hounddog

It's not even a one off, just a 3D model by some fan boi.

And there is no imagination and not much creativity. It's too literal, and doesn't have much imagination aside from an ugly front fascia.
But the Juke is cohesive and good looking?  :confused:

Boy, you really are out there.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

2o6

Quote from: hounddog on February 22, 2011, 01:51:18 PM
But the Juke is cohesive and good looking?  :confused:

Boy, you really are out there.

Don't put words in my mouth.

hounddog

Quote from: 2o6 on February 22, 2011, 02:35:04 PM
Don't put words in my mouth.

Quote from: 2o6 on February 21, 2011, 07:21:41 PM

It is. The Juke is very cohisive, the lines work well together and everything is as the designer intended.

:huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

ChrisV

Quote from: MX793 on February 21, 2011, 04:56:36 PM
Don't like the quad headlamps, but the rest looks great.

What I was going to say. Even like the huge wire wheels.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Actually, since you're obviously new to this whole "automotive design" thing, it's MUCH harder and takes more effort/creativity to make a modern version of an old car and leave it's identity intact than draw a clean-sheet-of-paper design. The current XK is what you are describing (a clean sheet of paper with a couple of nods to the old XK). This has all the design cues intact, and proportional (except the quad headlights), while being both modern and very obviously NOT an actual XKE, yet still undeniably an XKE. That's actually much harder to do, as so many kit car builders have found out when making replicas.

Seriously, go back to art school and take some classes before mouthing off anymore.

ChrisV

Quote from: hounddog on February 22, 2011, 02:56:23 PM

:huh:

here, I'll fix it for you:

Quote from: 2o6 on February 21, 2011, 07:21:41 PM

It is. This Jaguar is very cohesive, the lines work well together and everything is as the designer intended.

The design was what the designers intended, and it stayed close to the concept (Jaguar XKE).

:thumbsup:

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on February 22, 2011, 04:17:59 PM
Actually, since you're obviously new to this whole "automotive design" thing, it's MUCH harder and takes more effort/creativity to make a modern version of an old car and leave it's identity intact than draw a clean-sheet-of-paper design. The current XK is what you are describing (a clean sheet of paper with a couple of nods to the old XK). This has all the design cues intact, and proportional (except the quad headlights), while being both modern and very obviously NOT an actual XKE, yet still undeniably an XKE. That's actually much harder to do, as so many kit car builders have found out when making replicas.

Seriously, go back to art school and take some classes before mouthing off anymore.

I'm not going to argue anymore since I have well established my point. Everything that I and Sporty have said is why I feel that this rendering sucks.

ChrisV

Quote from: 2o6 on February 22, 2011, 09:30:39 PM

I'm not going to argue anymore since I have well established my point. Everything that I and Sporty have said is why I feel that this rendering sucks.

Establishing you're views and being able to defend them coherently are two different things. You are obviously unwilling to learn anything, and instead of trying to, you would rather say "my opinion is worth more than knowing what I'm talking about."

Have fun getting anywhere in the design biz that way.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on February 27, 2011, 02:57:57 PM
Establishing you're views and being able to defend them coherently are two different things. You are obviously unwilling to learn anything, and instead of trying to, you would rather say "my opinion is worth more than knowing what I'm talking about."

I don't think 2o6 has been incoherent at all actually

Nor do I see what his "experience" has to do with the validity of his opinion. If he agreed w/you his opinion would be no more or less valid

What is there to "learn" here? He doesn't like the design and stated why pretty clearly.

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on February 27, 2011, 02:57:57 PM

I'm taking the high road, but honestly, this forum and the circle-jerk you guys have here is not the end-all of the internet.

There are other opinions.

http://carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=19672

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 27, 2011, 03:08:07 PM
I don't think 2o6 has been incoherent at all actually

Nor do I see what his "experience" has to do with the validity of his opinion. If he agreed w/you his opinion would be no more or less valid

What is there to "learn" here? He doesn't like the design and stated why pretty clearly.

Apparently, because I don't think the same way they do, I I'm automatically wrong because I'm young.