Quattro!

Started by The Pirate, February 26, 2011, 06:51:30 PM

The Pirate

Recently acquired a 1989 Audi 80 quattro.  Black, 5-cylinder, 5-speed manual, locking rear differential, 197K miles.  It belonged to a co-worker of mine, and he was ready to move on.  Traded him some high end bicycle parts that I had acquired over the years, but will never use.

The car needs a few things (alternator belt, slight seep from valve cover gasket), but runs fantastically, and (I don't want to jinx myself here) most of the electronics work.  Albany got a foot of wet heavy snow the other day, and roads were a mess.  This car just drove like I was on bare pavement.  It was incredible.  And I get a huge smile on my face whenever I goose the throttle and the 5-pot starts wailing.  Has an exhaust leak, so it's loud.  The engine sounds great uncorked (burbles and backfires easily), but I'll get that fixed soon.

Crappy night time pics, I'll get some better ones up soon.

Factory BBS wheels with Audi center caps.  Also got a set of 17" ASA AR1s with Continental summer tires.

Note the Euro spec spoiler.

Pretty clean interior.

Button for locking diff, which works, I used it to power out of plowed-in street parking the other day.  Several others had been shoveling their cars for a while, and this thing just ripped through ease.  :lol:

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CJ

Rupert

Nice! That's always been one of my favorite little sedans. I'm a bit jealous. What are you going to do with the Mazda? :ohyeah:

(And quattro always has a small q). :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

The Pirate

Quote from: Rupert on February 26, 2011, 07:01:29 PM
Nice! That's always been one of my favorite little sedans. I'm a bit jealous. What are you going to do with the Mazda? :ohyeah:

(And quattro always has a small q). :lol:

Mazda is staying.  The Audi runs great, but I don't yet trust it for long trips, the cruise doesn't work, and the A/C is removed.

Cut me some slack with the q, I'm new to the 4 rings club.  :lol:

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Oo, two car man. You know what makes a great third car? An old MG.

Have you thought about trading the Mazda for a pickup?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

The Pirate

Quote from: Rupert on February 26, 2011, 07:05:17 PM
Oo, two car man. You know what makes a great third car? An old MG.

Have you thought about trading the Mazda for a pickup?

Thought about it, but the Mazda isn't worth enough to get me anything decent, and I don't want any payments.  And two cars is enough, I nearly shit myself when I realized that both of the cars were less than a quarter tank and gas prices here are $3.60/gallon.

The Pirate

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on February 26, 2011, 07:09:09 PM
Thought about it, but the Mazda isn't worth enough to get me anything decent, and I don't want any payments.  And two cars is enough, I nearly shit myself when I realized that both of the cars were less than a quarter tank and gas prices here are $3.60/gallon.

Ha, I know the feeling. It's worse when both cars have 20 gallon tanks!

El Barto

Nice.   :ohyeah:

Your car handled yesterdays snow better than mine.  :mask:  Does it have snow tires or all seasons?
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

The Pirate

Quote from: El Barto on February 26, 2011, 07:47:02 PM
Nice.   :ohyeah:

Your car handled yesterdays snow better than mine.  :mask:  Does it have snow tires or all seasons?

Yeah, bit a surprise that snowfall was.  I thought we were going to see a few inches.  We've had quite the winter this year.  I'm running snow tires on both cars.

Laconian

It looks pretty clean, but I have to admit .. I'm pretty surprised that was ever considered luxurious back in its day.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Mustangfan2003

Looks nice, I knew someone with one of these.  So how much does a car like that sell for these days anyway?

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on February 26, 2011, 08:33:26 PM
It looks pretty clean, but I have to admit .. I'm pretty surprised that was ever considered luxurious back in its day.

You pay for quality?

If it had leather seats, I bet it would seem a lot more luxurious.

dazzleman

Sweet!  Have fun with it, man.  Drive it when you come down to the auto show, if you've done the needed repairs by then.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The Pirate

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 26, 2011, 08:44:29 PM
Looks nice, I knew someone with one of these.  So how much does a car like that sell for these days anyway?

Anywhere from $900 to $2300 seems to be the going rate.  I bartered for this one.  :lol:

The 80 was the low-end Audi.  This particular one is optioned up (base was FWD/4-cyl).  It compares favorably to a similar era Mercedes 190 or E30 3-series, I think.  I agree, it's certainly not luxurious, but it's a fairly modern interior.  Great seats though, more comfortable than the seats in the Mazda.

The Pirate

And luxurious interiors notwithstanding, the thing that really impresses me about this car how solid it is.  No creaks or rattles on the road, no bump steer, etc.  From a perspective of cruising and driving on poorly maintained roads, it drives better than my Mazda.  Vault-like, which was the defining feature of German cars back then.

Quote from: dazzleman on February 26, 2011, 09:00:11 PM
Sweet!  Have fun with it, man.  Drive it when you come down to the auto show, if you've done the needed repairs by then.

That's the tentative plan.  You better hope I have the exhaust fixed before I roll in.  This thing roars (5-cylinder, it sounds like a baby Dodge Viper :lol:).

Laconian

When I rented a Volvo I thought that the engine sounded like a growling lapdog.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Very cool.  Nice grab.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

Sweet catch, Jamal! With a bit of TLC, she'll be in great condition.
@heelntoe

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on February 26, 2011, 09:40:46 PM
Very cool.  Nice grab.

I now know the allure of German cars.

Quote from: Laconian on February 26, 2011, 09:32:55 PM
When I rented a Volvo I thought that the engine sounded like a growling lapdog.

Mine's louder, but pretty close to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLHJGHyKAI&feature=related

Mustangfan2003

BTW welcome to the German car owners club. 

CALL_911

Ooooooh, I am very jealous.

German cars FTMFW, going back to Japanese cars hurts.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

Excellent! I've always liked those.

Colin

Quote from: omicron on February 27, 2011, 12:39:23 AM
Excellent! I've always liked those.
Ditto.

A friend of mine had a 90 Quattro of that vintage, and it was a lovely car.

Despite their galvanised body, you don't see many on the roads of Europe any more. Guess the mechanicals all wore out.

thewizard16

Looks great! Congrats once again on the new car.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Galaxy

Imo the problem is the grey interior. Imo the black Audi 80 interior looked better

The green dash that Audi sometimes used was worse. Could be had with green seats, and green paint.

Audi did some wierd stuff in the 80s.

In many ways they were very advanced cars.

Galaxy

Quote from: The Pirate on February 26, 2011, 09:01:02 PM

I agree, it's certainly not luxurious, but it's a fairly modern interior. 

You need to fondle your car!  :lol: The 80s dash top is soft touch, and the cloth used was also a much higher grade then you normally find in cars.

Btw, have you tried to get anything into the trunk?  ;) I'd like to ask the designers what they were thinking with that.

Galaxy

Quote from: Colin on February 27, 2011, 12:46:14 AM

Despite their galvanised body, you don't see many on the roads of Europe any more. Guess the mechanicals all wore out.

I would be interested to know how the galvanised Audis worked in a real (salty) car life.

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on February 26, 2011, 09:17:40 PM
And luxurious interiors notwithstanding, the thing that really impresses me about this car how solid it is.  No creaks or rattles on the road, no bump steer, etc.  From a perspective of cruising and driving on poorly maintained roads, it drives better than my Mazda.  Vault-like, which was the defining feature of German cars back then.

That's the tentative plan.  You better hope I have the exhaust fixed before I roll in.  This thing roars (5-cylinder, it sounds like a baby Dodge Viper :lol:).
Eh, after Nick showed up a couple of times in a car that sounded like an airplane, I'm not too worried what your car sounds like.  :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

omicron

Quote from: Galaxy on February 27, 2011, 03:31:10 AM

The green dash that Audi sometimes used was worse. Could be had with green seats, and green paint.

Oh my. How awfully marvellous!

In many ways they were very advanced cars.

Stereos in '80s cars are hilariously brilliant - gigantic units with thousands of tuning knobs, dials and switches.

1985 Mazda 929:

1984 Ford Fairlane: