Question: Insurance and rental reimbursement

Started by Speed_Racer, February 28, 2011, 01:19:45 AM

Speed_Racer

Quick question for you guys.

If you haven't seen my Garage thread, my car is in the shop getting repaired after my boss hit it with a snowplow. I had no option to just get a check and take care of things myself, the insurance company wanted the car fixed at a repair shop.

When I went to pick up the rental that they would provide for me, Enterprise said that the insurance company wouldn't cover the rental insurance on the Aveo. Considering that they gave me a FWD car with crap tires and I live up a mountain pass that I regularly use chains to climb, I went for the insurance.

I was originally told that the repair would take 4 days. $60 would have been fine for me and I would have covered it out of my own pocket.

It is now day 12 and they are still unsure if my car will be done tomorrow. At $15/day, that's now $180. As a college student, $180 is no small amount to have to cover.

OK, the question: Do I have any leverage to get this rental insurance paid for by the insurance company. Or is this just a cost of the 'convenience' getting hit by my employer.

Rupert

Seems to me the right course of action may have been to not get the insurance, and then deal with it if something does happen. As such, you could crash the car into something, and then tell the insurance company that they're getting a deal at $180.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Check with YOUR insurance and see if they cover the rental. They might already, and the rental insurance is a bum deal.

Also, ask your insurance company about state laws where you are (Provo, right?) and see what the insurance company for the college is liable to provide..
Will