Sound when turning left

Started by Tom, September 17, 2005, 04:44:33 PM

Tom

Lately the Buick has been making a sound when I turn the wheel left.  It doesn't occur if I make just a gentle turn, but if I turn the will fast or all the way to the left it does it.  I would describe it as an unpleasant buzz that sounds like metal is grinding together.   I check the CV boot.  No problem there, but the sound is not a characteristic CV click anyway.

footoflead

steering pump mabey, if it was a ford i would say that was it for sure, not sure why but both my brothers mustang and my dads steering pumps are very noisy
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

I know that noise all to well, and it's not that.  I'm thinking something in the steering linkage.  

Tom

Guess I better give Vince, the mechanic, a ring.

footoflead

QuoteGuess I better give Vince, the mechanic, a ring.
sorry, Good luck Tom :rockon:  B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

Thanks.  Tie rod?

Catman

Thanks.  Tie rod?
Tie rod wouldn't make a noise like that it would knock.  Sounds like the steering rack.

Tom

Steering rack?  I though it has a recirculating ball steering system, not rack and pinion...

Tom

Tom

Wtf, mechanic says it's bad brakes and rotors.  That doesn't explain the loud buzz I get when I turn the wheel.  I wish I could talk to him but he called when I wasn't home.  Dammit, and my brother just told me he hit a deer on the front left side right around the time this started.  

Raza

Your brother hit a deer in your car and didn't tell you?  I'd be pissed.

Wait...deer are large animals.  How did you not notice?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Does it make the noise if you're just sitting still and turn the steering wheel, or does the car have to be in motion?

If it makes a noise when the car is sitting still, then it's a steering system issue.  If it only does it when moving, then it could be a bad wheel bearing or possibly the rotors/brakes.  

I had the calipers freeze on the slide pins on my 240SX so the calipers wouldn't float and center themselves on the discs.  This caused the inner brake pads to wear down to the backing plate and when I'd corner, the corner loads would push the caliper into the disc and the metal backing plate would grind onto the rotor, making a pretty bad noise.  I thought it was a wheel bearing at first until I pulled the wheel off.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tom

QuoteYour brother hit a deer in your car and didn't tell you?  I'd be pissed.

Wait...deer are large animals.  How did you not notice?
He apparantly hit it on the side of the car.   I'm surprised their was not paint loss or dent.

Raza

QuoteYour brother hit a deer in your car and didn't tell you?  I'd be pissed.

Wait...deer are large animals.  How did you not notice?
He apparantly hit it on the side of the car.   I'm surprised their was not paint loss or dent.
That would surprise the shit out of me, too.  My friend totalled a minivan on a deer.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

QuoteDoes it make the noise if you're just sitting still and turn the steering wheel, or does the car have to be in motion?

If it makes a noise when the car is sitting still, then it's a steering system issue.  If it only does it when moving, then it could be a bad wheel bearing or possibly the rotors/brakes.  

I had the calipers freeze on the slide pins on my 240SX so the calipers wouldn't float and center themselves on the discs.  This caused the inner brake pads to wear down to the backing plate and when I'd corner, the corner loads would push the caliper into the disc and the metal backing plate would grind onto the rotor, making a pretty bad noise.  I thought it was a wheel bearing at first until I pulled the wheel off.
No, no noise when stopped.  Your explanation sounds exactly like what's happening.  Thank you!  But it does sound really coincidental that the deer accident happened right before I noticed this noise.

Run Away

All your wax jobs made the deer just slide off, Tom.:praise:

MX793

QuoteYour brother hit a deer in your car and didn't tell you?  I'd be pissed.

Wait...deer are large animals.  How did you not notice?
In which case, I'd say the deer hit him.  My father had the same thing about a year ago.  He was pulling his trailer behind his pickup and a deer decided to bolt across the road.  It missed the truck but the front corner of the trailer hit it, which dented in the trailer a bit.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tom

QuoteAll your wax jobs made the deer just slide off, Tom.:praise:
:praise:  :lol:  

MX793

QuoteDoes it make the noise if you're just sitting still and turn the steering wheel, or does the car have to be in motion?

If it makes a noise when the car is sitting still, then it's a steering system issue.  If it only does it when moving, then it could be a bad wheel bearing or possibly the rotors/brakes. 

I had the calipers freeze on the slide pins on my 240SX so the calipers wouldn't float and center themselves on the discs.  This caused the inner brake pads to wear down to the backing plate and when I'd corner, the corner loads would push the caliper into the disc and the metal backing plate would grind onto the rotor, making a pretty bad noise.  I thought it was a wheel bearing at first until I pulled the wheel off.
No, no noise when stopped.  Your explanation sounds exactly like what's happening.  Thank you!  But it does sound really coincidental that the deer accident happened right before I noticed this noise.
Do you notice any grinding when stopping?  See, mine would grind when I hit the brakes too, not just in corners.  If it makes no grinding when stopping, I'd also have the mechanic check the wheel bearings.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Tom

QuoteYour brother hit a deer in your car and didn't tell you?? I'd be pissed.

Wait...deer are large animals.? How did you not notice?
In which case, I'd say the deer hit him.  My father had the same thing about a year ago.  He was pulling his trailer behind his pickup and a deer decided to bolt across the road.  It missed the truck but the front corner of the trailer hit it, which dented in the trailer a bit.
I think that was what happened.  My brother said the he was driving along and a car swerved into his lane and back into his own, later realizing the car did this to aviod the deer.  Not thinking much of it(and maybe not paying attention), he kept going and the deer must have made his way over to his lane and walked into the car.

Tom

If it makes a noise when the car is sitting still, then it's a steering system issue.? If it only does it when moving, then it could be a bad wheel bearing or possibly the rotors/brakes.?

I had the calipers freeze on the slide pins on my 240SX so the calipers wouldn't float and center themselves on the discs.? This caused the inner brake pads to wear down to the backing plate and when I'd corner, the corner loads would push the caliper into the disc and the metal backing plate would grind onto the rotor, making a pretty bad noise.? I thought it was a wheel bearing at first until I pulled the wheel off.
Do you notice any grinding when stopping?  See, mine would grind when I hit the brakes too, not just in corners.  If it makes no grinding when stopping, I'd also have the mechanic check the wheel bearings.
No, no grinding when braking.  Hmm, you're right, if the caliper had been grinded down to bare metal, it would really make noise when stopping.  According to the mechanic, the brakes and rotors are completely shot.  I'm confused.

Run Away

Tom

QuoteSecond opinion.
It's a reputable garage.  We've been using them for years and they are good people.  Tomorrow when the brakes and rotors are changed will be the real test.  I wonder if a good resurface would have done the trick, this is $400+... :(  

Run Away

Yikes.
Well, it's nice having new parts on the car, always a good feeling.
Especially when you can feel the difference, I hope your braking will be better now.

Tom

QuoteYikes.
Well, it's nice having new parts on the car, always a good feeling.
Especially when you can feel the difference, I hope your braking will be better now.
Hopefully.  Maybe I should get a new car.

Tom

Looks like it must have been the stuck caliper MX suggested.  I have a copy of the invoice...

Part Description
F Disc Brake Rotor, quantity: 2, $185
Disc Pads, quantity: 1, $70
Brake Fluid, quantity: 1, $3
Brake Clean, quantity: 1, $4
Brake Lubricant, quantity 1, $3

Labor Description
Replace front disc pads, clean and service caliper sliders, $104

Hazardous materials: $1

So, they replaced one disc pad and both rotors and cleaned the caliper slider.  Total came out to $395.  I feel shafted :o

MX793

I assume the grinding stopped?
Needs more Jiggawatts

Tom

QuoteI assume the grinding stopped?
It did :)  

Raghavan

QuoteLooks like it must have been the stuck caliper MX suggested.  I have a copy of the invoice...

Part Description

Labor Description

So, they replaced one disc pad and both rotors and cleaned the caliper slider.  Total came out to $395.  I feel shafted :o
:lol:  

Tom

QuoteLooks like it must have been the stuck caliper MX suggested.  I have a copy of the invoice...

Part Description

Labor Description

So, they replaced one disc pad and both rotors and cleaned the caliper slider.  Total came out to $395.  I feel shafted :o
:lol:
Well I probably could have changed the pads myself, greased up the caliper myself and install new rotors.  Or sand them.