Wait, WHAT!?

Started by 2o6, March 16, 2011, 01:56:02 PM

2o6

So as you know, I sold my neon about a month or so ago, and my dad (theoretically) took me off the insurance since I really am not going to be driving anywhere and there's no sense paying on a car that I don't have.

Found out today that Allstate won't let him take the insurance off, and I they said that I either have to turn in my license (WHAT!?) or do something else (something he has yet to tell me).

I'm uber pissed. I honestly think we should change companies.

sportyaccordy

You live in his house, you could in theory be driving one of their cars all the time. That's what my brother is doing now, but I don't think he's ever been on their insurance. Makes sense, you're a risk factor

2o6

The same company also tried to pull a fast one and say that when I first GOT the car, I couldn't get on my parents policy because the vehicle's title was in my name, not my dad's, although my brother's old Tahoe (and his new Sierra!) is on our insurance and the title is in his name.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 16, 2011, 01:59:23 PM
You live in his house, you could in theory be driving one of their cars all the time. That's what my brother is doing now, but I don't think he's ever been on their insurance. Makes sense, you're a risk factor

They shouldn't ask me to TURN IN MY LICENSE.

When I get another car, I think I may just go on my own policy.

NomisR

So what if you move out?  You're still permenantly on their insurance?  Make zero sense.

2o6

Quote from: NomisR on March 16, 2011, 02:01:51 PM
So what if you move out?  You're still permenantly on their insurance?  Make zero sense.

Right. It isn't adding up. I turn 18 next week, why is this a big deal!?

2o6

So, I would have had to insure a car I don't have, or kept a car that I didn't want.

And next week I will be a legal adult.

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on March 16, 2011, 02:07:09 PM
So, I would have had to insure a car I don't have, or kept a car that I didn't want.

And next week I will be a legal adult.

Wait till next week and it should be ok for them to drop you.  There's no way they can force your parents to keep you on there. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on March 16, 2011, 02:01:23 PM
I couldn't get on my parents policy because the vehicle's title was in my name,

Interesting. I think you have to be 18 to register a vehicle in Georgia.

Secret Chimp

That's why I kept my learner's permit until I was 20. I never needed to drive anywhere by myself, and if I got a license my dad had to add me on to his insurance. I just kept my permit and got a free ride as a permit driver. Including all of our highway and in-city driving for our San Francisco road trip. Dolla dolla bill yall.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

NomisR

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 16, 2011, 04:00:12 PM
That's why I kept my learner's permit until I was 20. I never needed to drive anywhere by myself, and if I got a license my dad had to add me on to his insurance. I just kept my permit and got a free ride as a permit driver. Including all of our highway and in-city driving for our San Francisco road trip. Dolla dolla bill yall.

I thought they didn't need to add you as a driver.  Plus, getting your license at 16 means at 20, you had 4 years of driving experience already.

MX793

Quote from: NomisR on March 16, 2011, 02:01:51 PM

As a member of the household with a valid driver's license, he's potentially a driver of his parents' vehicle(s) and hence they won't remove him from the policy.  If he were to move out, I'm sure they'd let him be removed from the policy.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on March 16, 2011, 04:22:40 PM
As a member of the household with a valid driver's license, he's potentially a driver of his parents' vehicle(s) and hence they won't remove him from the policy.  If he were to move out, I'm sure they'd let him be removed from the policy.

It was never an issue with my brother.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on March 16, 2011, 04:24:10 PM
It was never an issue with my brother.

Was he ever listed on their policy?  And was it with the same insurance company?  Different insurance companies deal with other licensed drivers in the household differently.  I've gotten quotes from companies that insisted on knowing about any other licensed drivers in the household.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

The car should be removed from the insurance, but not you as a driver.

Rupert

When I was living with my parents a couple of years ago, I actually had to send in a letter stating that they wouldn't be driving my cars in order to not have to pay for them on my policy.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

Private company; can make whatever policy they desire.

Right or wrong, you wanna have your license someone has to insure you in the home.  :huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Mustangfan2003

wait, what?  this been moved?   :lol:

AutobahnSHO

All you have to do is write an official-LOOKING letter, with driver's license info and the car info, saying you will never drive any of your dad's cars. Send it to the insurance company and they will likely let you drop coverage.

It has to be something they (insurance Co.) could show a court if you go drive his car and get in an accident and try to make the insurance co. pay.

You could call the insurance co. and ask if it should be notarized or not....
Will

NomisR

Quote from: Rupert on March 16, 2011, 08:06:49 PM
When I was living with my parents a couple of years ago, I actually had to send in a letter stating that they wouldn't be driving my cars in order to not have to pay for them on my policy.

With them being on your policy, wouldn't your insurance be cheaper?

Rupert

Why would more people be cheaper?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

NomisR

Quote from: Rupert on March 17, 2011, 08:07:20 PM
Why would more people be cheaper?

Older people, up to a certain age.  But that depends on your age as well.  If you're under 25, it may be cheaper for your parents to be on your policy.  Otherwise, it actually wouldn't make too big of a difference.

Rupert

No way. If there are more people on my policy, even if they're cheap-to-insure people, I pay more. If we all shared a policy, that would have been cheaper-per-person until I turned 25.

NomisR

Quote from: Rupert on March 21, 2011, 08:02:06 PM
No way. If there are more people on my policy, even if they're cheap-to-insure people, I pay more. If we all shared a policy, that would have been cheaper-per-person until I turned 25.

Depends on who you put as the primary driver, it still makes a difference.