Moi with a "proper" sports car?

Started by VTEC_Inside, March 19, 2011, 08:25:41 AM

VTEC_Inside

Drove an S2000 for the first time yesterday.

Contemplating getting rid of the RSX for one. I have the CSX for daily/winter/everything else duty, so its kinda silly to park something as "normal" as the RSX as my summer toy.

Short comments on the S2000 (a 2006 by the way):
- shifter: holy crap, I thought the RSX was good, the S2ks was amazing
- ride quality: S2k blows the RSX out of the water, much more comfortable drive
- handling: I didn't push it THAT hard, but I did get it a little sideways (VSA intervened) under power
- power: didn't seem to be much quicker than my RSX, but definitely smoother delivery without the artificial VTEC kick that Honda programmed into the RSX.

It was a much easier car to hop into and drive hard. More of a pure drivers car (duh).

Alas, I'm really not sure how I feel about the car overall. I was a little put off by the fact that everyone seems to look at the car even if you aren't driving like an idiot.

For now I think I'll just be keeping an eye open for them. If something really good comes up maybe I'll bite.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

BimmerM3

I've only driven an AP1, but I absolutely loved it. There's a very good chance that my next car will be an S2000.

68_427

AP1 is my realistic dream car for the next few years.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Was it an AP1 or 2?

Sounds like a good fit for you, and if you go with an old one it could be a pretty close to even trade $$$ wise if you sell the RSX privately.

I drove an AP1, and I'm a little surprised by your impressions. I thought the ride quality was awful (at least over rough pavement), much worse than a quality aftermarket suspended FWD Honda, and the VTEC kick was extreme to the point of being cheesy. Plus on the small cam it was a bit wheezy, disappointing midrange. But as far as handling and the overall interface, it was perfect. If you're looking to flog it on windy roads its probably gonna be a great choice, I only got to drive it on NYC streets and highways. Definitely a lot of car for what it's going for used, and many of them are pretty well taken care of. I'd wait till the winter to buy one though

VTEC_Inside

The one I drove was a 2006 so AP2.

I'd get at least a 2006 or newer, no 9000rpm redline, but I kinda want the vsa safety net. $ wise it wouldn't be much after selling the RSX because the RSX only has 90,000kms on it now.

Onslaught

I wasn't a fan of the car for year. But over time it's grown on me. I'd like to have one if I didn't already have a convertible.

Vinsanity

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 19, 2011, 08:25:41 AM
Short comments on the S2000 (a 2006 by the way):
- shifter: holy crap, I thought the RSX was good, the S2ks was amazing
- ride quality: S2k blows the RSX out of the water, much more comfortable drive
- handling: I didn't push it THAT hard, but I did get it a little sideways (VSA intervened) under power
- power: didn't seem to be much quicker than my RSX, but definitely smoother delivery without the artificial VTEC kick that Honda programmed into the RSX.

The comments in bold are somewhat of a surprise to me. I know most of my experience has been with luxury sedans, but given the s2k's purpose, I'm surprised to see the ride described as "comfortable". Maybe the balance of the chassis allows for more ideal suspension tuning, compared to the RSX. And my s2k definitely had a noticeable VTEC kick that engaged at 6000 rpm. I always described it as having a dual personality: Miata below 6k rpms, NSX above 6k.

Mine was an AP1, however, so that probably explains all the differences.

sportyaccordy

They might have (wisely) revised the spring/shock rates of the S2K. I mean I know it's a sports car, but it was incredibly rough. Maybe the one I drove had old shocks, but I doubt it

Rupert

I say go for it!

I've never driven one, but it's been on that list of sports-cars-I-should-look-at-next-time-I-want-a-sports-car for a few years. They're still a little spendy for me, and for that money, I could buy an old 911, sooo...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2011, 02:00:00 PM
The comments in bold are somewhat of a surprise to me. I know most of my experience has been with luxury sedans, but given the s2k's purpose, I'm surprised to see the ride described as "comfortable". Maybe the balance of the chassis allows for more ideal suspension tuning, compared to the RSX. And my s2k definitely had a noticeable VTEC kick that engaged at 6000 rpm. I always described it as having a dual personality: Miata below 6k rpms, NSX above 6k.

I drove it over some of the same roads I had just driven my RSX on and it just seemed to handle the rough pavement better. Impacts were felt sure, but the effect was not as jarring.

Re VTEC kick. There was no question that it had switched to the high rpm lobes based on sound, but as I said much more linear delivery. The RSX lets you know dramatically, especially since I have an intake on mine. The noise level easily doubles, and there is a definitive acceleration kick.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 19, 2011, 02:03:56 PM
They might have (wisely) revised the spring/shock rates of the S2K. I mean I know it's a sports car, but it was incredibly rough. Maybe the one I drove had old shocks, but I doubt it
Old shocks would have made it soft and bouncy...not rock hard.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on March 19, 2011, 02:56:05 PM
Not with stiff springs. Though admittedly it wasn't bouncy, just crashy over bumps.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on March 19, 2011, 02:56:05 PM

Unless the bad shocks allowed the suspension to bottom out and hit the bump stops.  But you'd also exhibit some excessive undulation ("ringing", as it were) after every disturbance as the suspension tried to resettle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Vinsanity

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 19, 2011, 08:25:41 AM

I also meant to ask, did you flog it intentionally? AP1's are notorious for losing their back ends unexpectedly (notably when braking into a turn, with too much steering angle dialed in), and I was always a little curious to what degree that was tamed with the AP2.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2011, 05:10:11 PM
I also meant to ask, did you flog it intentionally? AP1's are notorious for losing their back ends unexpectedly (notably when braking into a turn, with too much steering angle dialed in), and I was always a little curious to what degree that was tamed with the AP2.

Yes. I cut into the corner quite sharp and floored it in 2nd at about 5000rpms. I thought that the car was settled into the corner at that point but the rear slipped about a tire width and caught again along with a flash of the triangle.

It did strike me as a tad easy to have provoked that but I may have just underestimated how much power I was actually trying to put down, as I said earlier my perception is that it wasn't much more powerful than my RSX which the numbers kinda disagree with.

Then again I've never really driven anything RWD that had any sporting intentions either.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2011, 02:00:00 PM

AP1s definitely have a VTEC kick. I've never driven an AP2 or an RSX though, so I can't compare to either.

Vinsanity

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 19, 2011, 07:03:50 PM
Yes. I cut into the corner quite sharp and floored it in 2nd at about 5000rpms. I thought that the car was settled into the corner at that point but the rear slipped about a tire width and caught again along with a flash of the triangle.

It did strike me as a tad easy to have provoked that but I may have just underestimated how much power I was actually trying to put down, as I said earlier my perception is that it wasn't much more powerful than my RSX which the numbers kinda disagree with.

Then again I've never really driven anything RWD that had any sporting intentions either.

yeah, that'll do it. You probably would've been going sideways if the skid control was switched off, and you definitely would've ended up facing the wrong direction in an AP1.

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 19, 2011, 07:41:17 PM
AP1s definitely have a VTEC kick. I've never driven an AP2 or an RSX though, so I can't compare to either.

I only rode as a passenger in a few RSX's, but the VTEC kick felt similar to the AP1, though I don't recall it to be as dramatic as Mr. Inside describes.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

I fucking love the S2000. I must own one at some point in my life.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

I say go for it... i drove an AP1 and it was much more fun then an RSX
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2011, 08:25:44 PM
I only rode as a passenger in a few RSX's, but the VTEC kick felt similar to the AP1, though I don't recall it to be as dramatic as Mr. Inside describes.

It can be both fun and annoying as shit, but to give you an idea of the sound difference I'm used to with the intake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJteFJviN0

The '02-'04 Type S also has a notable drop in power coming past 5000rpms, which contributes to the kick felt at 5800rpm when it snaps back to life. In reality you can't really feel the drop in power if you are at WOT, but at 3/4 its pretty noticeable.

Raza

I certainly wouldn't mind an AP1 or AP2 in my garage. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

The RSX is your weekend car?!?!?!

Dude, get rid of it and get something fun... you already have a Civic... they're pretty much the same car anyways. 

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NomisR on March 21, 2011, 01:23:40 PM
The RSX is your weekend car?!?!?!

Dude, get rid of it and get something fun... you already have a Civic... they're pretty much the same car anyways. 

No its not that bad. I drive the RSX pretty much daily in the summer. It just stays parked and as out of the salt as possible over winter.

The thing is when I had just the Accord and RSX, the RSX could always function as a year round daily driver in the event that the Accord finally bit the dust. I don't really have to worry about the CSX dropping dead on me, so the requirement for my "fun" car to be at least a little practical has disappeared.

As far as the comparison between the RSX and the CSX, they are considerably different to drive.

NomisR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 21, 2011, 01:35:35 PM
No its not that bad. I drive the RSX pretty much daily in the summer. It just stays parked and as out of the salt as possible over winter.

The thing is when I had just the Accord and RSX, the RSX could always function as a year round daily driver in the event that the Accord finally bit the dust. I don't really have to worry about the CSX dropping dead on me, so the requirement for my "fun" car to be at least a little practical has disappeared.

As far as the comparison between the RSX and the CSX, they are considerably different to drive.

Here's a better idea.. have the RSX as your practical car and get rid of the CSX for a "fun" car... like what I have.. for now.

Oh, speaking of the RSX.. have you ever had the IACV idle problem before?  I have my CEL on now and my car is stalling in neutral.. it's getting old.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NomisR on March 21, 2011, 01:47:31 PM
Here's a better idea.. have the RSX as your practical car and get rid of the CSX for a "fun" car... like what I have.. for now.

Oh, speaking of the RSX.. have you ever had the IACV idle problem before?  I have my CEL on now and my car is stalling in neutral.. it's getting old.

I thought about that as well, but the CSX is really more practical/functional than the RSX. The CSX is also fairly entertaining to drive in its own right. It has a bit more usable mid range grunt thanks to the trick intake manifold and other revisions the K series got after my RSX.

The RSX is also still in mint shape. The thought of having to park it outside a Walmart makes me cringe. The CSX is a little more weathered, a door ding in that would be annoying but a less stressful experience.

The RSX has never given me any grief save for the primary O2 that went bad a couple years ago. Then again its only about to break the 90,000kms mark.

NomisR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 21, 2011, 02:31:48 PM
I thought about that as well, but the CSX is really more practical/functional than the RSX. The CSX is also fairly entertaining to drive in its own right. It has a bit more usable mid range grunt thanks to the trick intake manifold and other revisions the K series got after my RSX.

The RSX is also still in mint shape. The thought of having to park it outside a Walmart makes me cringe. The CSX is a little more weathered, a door ding in that would be annoying but a less stressful experience.

The RSX has never given me any grief save for the primary O2 that went bad a couple years ago. Then again its only about to break the 90,000kms mark.

If that's the case then replacing the RSX may get you more $$, they still seem like they fetch a pretty good price.  Last I asked, I was quoted $13000 for a trade in... i was really really tempted at the time. 

What kind of price are they fetching for in Canadia?

sportyaccordy

$13K for an RSX... even for a Type-S, that's just nutty to me, considering EP3s go for like 1/3 that

NomisR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 21, 2011, 04:40:23 PM
$13K for an RSX... even for a Type-S, that's just nutty to me, considering EP3s go for like 1/3 that

Yup, that's what I thought too, but that's what I was quoted.. that was 8 months ago though.  I should've taken it.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 21, 2011, 04:40:23 PM

RSX-S >>> EP3 CSi
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5