The Ultimate Car

Started by SVT666, March 21, 2011, 09:05:08 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on March 22, 2011, 09:11:56 PM
Dude, you are an Audi whore.

Not really.  The only way I'm an Audi whore is that I post pictures of my car when it's clean and shiny.  I don't go around saying THE AUDI A4 IS THE BEST CAR EVER AND IF YOU DON'T THINK SO YOU'RE RETARDED like you do about certain BMWs.

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 22, 2011, 09:13:19 PM
Not really.  The only way I'm an Audi whore is that I post pictures of my car when it's clean and shiny.  I don't go around saying THE AUDI A4 IS THE BEST CAR EVER AND IF YOU DON'T THINK SO YOU'RE RETARDED like you do about certain BMWs.

I'm right; you're wrong.

Let me say it another way: I'm not wrong, and you're not right.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on March 22, 2011, 09:14:21 PM
I'm right; you're wrong.

Let me say it another way: I'm not wrong, and you're not right.

Show me a post where I'm telling somebody that I think an Audi is better than a different car.  Show me.

Raza

Shut up, you bickering children. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on March 22, 2011, 08:29:57 PM
Ha! Why not an Audi?

I would be upset at myself using such a nice car in the snow, necessitating a 2nd car for the winter, and defying the idea of my ultimate car.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on March 22, 2011, 09:43:02 PM

I would be upset at myself using such a nice car in the snow, necessitating a 2nd car for the winter, and defying the idea of my ultimate car.

There was a guy who would rent from our Enterprise all the time. He had an NSX -- the 33rd to last one ever built -- and he was ordering an R8 V10. You know what his winter beater was? A brand new V10 Audi S8 on Blizzaks.

Why not? It's all-aluminum, so it won't rust. And it has 500 hp. Winning.

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on March 22, 2011, 09:49:53 PM
There was a guy who would rent from our Enterprise all the time. He had an NSX -- the 33rd to last one ever built -- and he was ordering an R8 V10. You know what his winter beater was? A brand new V10 Audi S8 on Blizzaks.

Why not? It's all-aluminum, so it won't rust. And it has 500 hp. Winning.

Audi whore.

2o6

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 22, 2011, 09:51:49 PM
Audi whore.

After owning an E46 M3 and a fleet of Subarus, you know I would if I could. :lol:

Colonel Cadillac

Seriously? Unthusiast :facepalm:

Cars are for driving, and snowy lands are Audis' home turf.

omicron

I'm very strongly considering a Range Rover, and possibly even the new 4.4 turbodiesel V8.

sportyaccordy

I really want to say E39 M5. Beautiful, usable, reliable, performance that is accessible & w/o compromise, wrapped in a shell that will arouse no suspicion. If gas dips below $3/gal, one day...

sportyaccordy

I really pray for the day you drive some legitimately nice cars. A Taurus SHO isn't even the "ultimate" FWD sedan. Dream a little bigger.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 23, 2011, 07:40:39 AM
I really pray for the day you drive some legitimately nice cars. A Taurus SHO isn't even the "ultimate" FWD sedan. Dream a little bigger.

It's an Audi, I feel it's too nice to drive in rough conditions.

SHO is just something I thought of for the post.

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on March 22, 2011, 08:32:05 PM
The Mustang expended the performance-for-the-masses market, but it was by far not the first. For example, the MG T-type (slightly different kind of performance, granted). Maybe the first American car to bring performance to the masses.
Not even first in America.

GM A Bodies were .5 year ahead of the Mustangs, and one could argue better and faster since the 1964.5 Mustang was a six banger.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2011, 07:56:31 AM

Well, I have to agree that the SHO was a pretty cool car in its day, for a 4 door.   But, there were many other cars considered much cooler then, and far more "ultimate."  Still, not a terrible choice.

As for the Audi in the winter; if there was ever a sedan designed to be driven in the snow and salt it would be this one.  Yes, keeping them out of the snow and salt makes them last longer, for example, Rohans 545 still looks like a brand new car six years later.

But his car is a 340 horse rear wheel drive so it sits in the winter, unlike my wifes X5 which gets driven in all weather conditions.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2011, 07:56:31 AM

They're Volkswagens. An old S4 is begging for the snow.

Plus there are always Subarus.

SVT666

This isn't meant to be a bitch fest guys.  If 2o6 thinks the Taurus SHO was the ultimate car, then who are you to say he's wrong?  Just like when Alan Mullaly said the Lexus LS is the best car in the world.  It all depends on your criteria, but it could very well be.

hounddog

I said it was not a terrible choice.  :huh:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on March 23, 2011, 10:04:12 AM
I said it was not a terrible choice.  :huh:
If you didn't bitch at him for his selection, then I wasn't talking to you.  :ohyeah:

SVT666

Now I know why Raza apologized for his selection.  :rolleyes:

hounddog

Quote from: SVT666 on March 23, 2011, 10:18:13 AM
If you didn't bitch at him for his selection, then I wasn't talking to you.  :ohyeah:
Your post was a tad ambiguous.  :huh:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on March 23, 2011, 10:20:46 AM
Your post was a tad ambiguous.  :huh:
Not really.  You didn't criticize his selection, so why would you think I was referring to you?  :huh:

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: SVT666 on March 23, 2011, 09:50:50 AM
This isn't meant to be a bitch fest guys.  If 2o6 thinks the Taurus SHO was the ultimate car, then who are you to say he's wrong?  Just like when Alan Mullaly said the Lexus LS is the best car in the world.  It all depends on your criteria, but it could very well be.

I'm having a reasonable discussion. I don't know why you feel the need to tell us that we should not be having a discussion about cars on a car forum.

Audis are nice cars for sure, but to keep them from their natural habitat (snowy conditions because they're "rough") is like robbing the birthday girl's cake. Sure salt's bad for a car, but that just means you need to increase the frequency in which you get car washes (and make sure the undercarriage gets a wash most importantly). Audis thrive in the snow.

When I was home with a couple friends and it was snowing, one was driving his mother's RX350 and that got stuck a number of times. My other friend had his A4 3.2 (just like mine but black and automatic :praise:) and it got stuck zero times, despite the ground clearance advantage the Lexus had. I was rocking my ultra-high performance tires, so I got stuck a number of times (and had to get pulled out by A4 friend's family Suburban) :lol:

You just can't be in a snowy climate with an Audi and keep it in the garage when it snows. It's blasphemous.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on March 22, 2011, 09:09:36 AM
The ultimate car must have as few compromises as possible, in my opinion.  That leaves the ultralights like the Caterham 7 and Ariel Atom in there.  But like I said, it's as few, not none.  That leaves one car.

Purely an opinion.  Don't mean to offend anyone by my definition of ultimate.

Been there, done that.... you need to get one for yourself.

MrH

I just don't get it.  If an old Taurus SHO is your ultimate car, why aren't you shopping for that instead of a focus?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on March 23, 2011, 11:35:43 AM
I just don't get it.  If an old Taurus SHO is your ultimate car, why aren't you shopping for that instead of a focus?

I want something newer, and I wouldn't want to own a V8 SHO.

The Taurus SHO isn't the "Ultimate" but really it just fits the description of what I think is the Ultimate. In retrospect, probably an SVT Focus or Legacy GT would be a better fit, but the SHO just was the first thing to come to mind.

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 23, 2011, 11:31:20 AM

I'm having a reasonable discussion. I don't know why you feel the need to tell us that we should not be having a discussion about cars on a car forum.

Audis are nice cars for sure, but to keep them from their natural habitat (snowy conditions because they're "rough") is like robbing the birthday girl's cake. Sure salt's bad for a car, but that just means you need to increase the frequency in which you get car washes (and make sure the undercarriage gets a wash most importantly). Audis thrive in the snow.

When I was home with a couple friends and it was snowing, one was driving his mother's RX350 and that got stuck a number of times. My other friend had his A4 3.2 (just like mine but black and automatic :praise:) and it got stuck zero times, despite the ground clearance advantage the Lexus had. I was rocking my ultra-high performance tires, so I got stuck a number of times (and had to get pulled out by A4 friend's family Suburban) :lol:

You just can't be in a snowy climate with an Audi and keep it in the garage when it snows. It's blasphemous.

A lot of it has to do to how I was raised, I guess. I just think something so nice shouldn't be driven in bad conditions.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 23, 2011, 07:40:39 AM

But it isn't a bad car, something you make it out to be. I would rather have an SHO over a Maxima or any FWD Nissan.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2011, 12:13:30 PM
The Taurus SHO isn't the "Ultimate" but really it just fits the description of what I think is the Ultimate. In retrospect, probably an SVT Focus or Legacy GT would be a better fit, but the SHO just was the first thing to come to mind.

Speaking as an owner, the SVT Focus is pretty fucking awesome.  I love my car.