New bus for the 37 kids.

Started by saxonyron, March 27, 2011, 11:28:24 PM

saxonyron

Quote from: 68_427 on March 28, 2011, 05:53:41 PM
Also how do you break a rear parking sensor?

You have a teenaged daughter back up the 29 foot long beast for the first time in a crowded parking lot.  She hears the audio warning beep and wonders "hmmm, what's that noise?"  She continues until she hears a 2004 Acura RL's tail light shattering.  Next way is to go to Boston and need valet parking.  2 days later, notice yet another of those stupid 1/2" disks on the rear bumper are stoved in.  $280 to fix each one.  Screw it - the back up camera should really be enough protection. 

However, I'm hoping this time my sensors survive.  And no more valet parking no matter what.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

the Teuton

Ron, you want to know what your first problem is? You let a woman drive your car.

You want to know what your second problem is? Apparently, you don't have enough sedatives for all of your children.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on March 28, 2011, 06:21:23 PM
Ron, you want to know what your first problem is? You let a woman drive your car.

You want to know what your second problem is? Apparently, you don't have enough sedatives for all of your children.

Neither of which are as bad as the paramount problem: unreliable birth control. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on March 28, 2011, 06:26:12 PM

No kidding.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hounddog

Quote from: saxonyron on March 27, 2011, 11:30:11 PM

Yukon XL.  Hmmmmmm.

Xtremely Long?

:lol:

I would personally not buy a GM, I do like the looks of the GMC SUVs.  They have a good tough look to them.

Like the colors as well, I get so tired of dark interiors.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Maybe someone should let him in on the fact that doctors now know what causes children to magically appear.

:huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

68_427

Quote from: hounddog on March 28, 2011, 06:47:27 PM
Yukon XL.  Hmmmmmm.

Xtremely Long?

:lol:

I would personally not buy a GM, I do like the looks of the GMC SUVs.  They have a good tough look to them.

Like the colors as well, I get so tired of dark interiors.

As good as the new Ford Expedition is GM is still the only one to offer 3/4 ton SUVs.  Which I know you don't care about, but anyways...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

saxonyron

Quote from: the Teuton on March 28, 2011, 06:21:23 PM

:lol:  I can't help but let the ladies drive. There are just too many of them.  :mask:  My wife is actually pretty good. And my daughter, except for that little Acura gig, does real well too. And there's no way I could ever sedate them all.  They're a damn lively bunch.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

:lol:  But I'm actually one of those people of questionable sanity who planned for and produced a big family.  Although the spare twin at the end of the run was slightly unplanned...but she's too cute to send back.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

68_427

Quote from: saxonyron on March 28, 2011, 07:57:52 PM
:lol:  I can't help but let the ladies drive. There are just too many of them.  :mask:  My wife is actually pretty good. And my daughter, except for that little Acura gig, does real well too. And there's no way I could ever sedate them all.  They're a damn lively bunch.

Do you let them drive the Audi?
'racecar is die'
no

The Pirate

Very nice, I love the full-size GM SUVs. 

BTW, member of the 4 rings club now.

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=24349.0 

Better photos on page two.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

68_427

Quote from: The Pirate on March 28, 2011, 08:06:10 PM

Psh your car isn't a real Audi.  Audis are luxury automobiles and you're doesn't have leather which means it's not a luxury car and thus not an Audi!
'racecar is die'
no

saxonyron

Quote from: 68_427 on March 28, 2011, 08:03:44 PM
Do you let them drive the Audi?

On rare occasions, yes.  But the girls' primary car is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we stole from my folks. They do well with the Audi, but know that bad things await their social lives if bad things happen to my car.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: The Pirate on March 28, 2011, 08:06:10 PM

Welcome!  I love that Audi! I rented one for 2 weeks on my honeymoon way the hell back in 1991. Took it up to 130 mph on the Autobahn.  Hey, you should try that too!  (Or maybe not... :lol: ) I first fell in love with Audis in 1988 while on a business trip to Stuttgart.  I rented an Audi 100 and it was just so damn sweet (for its time).  My current ride is my 4th four ringer.  :wub:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

the Teuton

Quote from: saxonyron on March 28, 2011, 10:24:49 PM
On rare occasions, yes.  But the girls' primary car is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we stole from my folks. They do well with the Audi, but know that bad things await their social lives if bad things happen to my car.

Your car already looks like it's been pillaged on the mean streets of Boston. I'm sure they couldn't do much worse to it. Oh wait, they could; they're women drivers.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 27, 2011, 11:39:43 PM
You could always practice left foot braking. You'll needs it if you ever need to turn that bus around real quick.

Real quick onto its side/top?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

RomanChariot

Quote from: saxonyron on March 28, 2011, 05:29:46 PM
Thanks.  It's rated at 8,000 capacity.  The heaviest load I pull is the horse trailer, loaded up with 2 horses comes in around 5,000# or so. With my old Suburban, same set up, it pulled very happily.  Much better than the '06 Expedition with the 5.4L.  The long wheel base and serious 348 ft. lb. of torque makes for smooth trailering. If you're pulling not a whole lot more than 6,000#, I'd say this is all the balls you need.  I'm sure it can handle more than that, but it would be more pedal mashing and tail wagging.

Thanks for the information.  The trailer I pull runs about 7,500lbs so I like having the 3/4ton chassis.  Your 5.3l actually has more horsepower than my 454 (290hp) but I've got over 400lb-ft of torque which means I have good horsepower in the lower rpms which helps when I am pulling over 8,000ft mountain passes.

68_427

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 29, 2011, 08:29:46 AM
Thanks for the information.  The trailer I pull runs about 7,500lbs so I like having the 3/4ton chassis.  Your 5.3l actually has more horsepower than my 454 (290hp) but I've got over 400lb-ft of torque which means I have good horsepower in the lower rpms which helps when I am pulling over 8,000ft mountain passes.

You could always go for a late model 8.1L.  Unfortunately the only engine for the 2011 Suburban HD is the 6.0L
'racecar is die'
no

saxonyron

Quote from: the Teuton on March 28, 2011, 10:39:31 PM
Your car already looks like it's been pillaged on the mean streets of Boston. I'm sure they couldn't do much worse to it. Oh wait, they could; they're women drivers.

Hey, my car is mint!  At least it is now.  When you saw it last year, I hadn't brought it in yet to the body shop.  4 hits from anonymous buttheads, one from myself.  All little dings and scuffs, but they were depressing to behold.  I had the front and rear bumpers painted up all nice and shiny and ready for another pillaging.  I'll keep holding my breath that my girls continue on the otherwise unscathed trend.  All my teaching and persistance seems to have paid off, at least so far. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 29, 2011, 07:05:52 AM
Why this of course!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Christian!  But that might just make the Yukon look like a Prius in comparison.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 29, 2011, 08:29:46 AM

That must be one hell of a camper!  I've pulled a 30 footer that only weighed 5900#.  Your's must be oozing in camper luxury.  I'm jealous, since I sold my old popup last year and am currently camperless.  :(

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

thewizard16

Congrats on the purchase! I have a soft spot for the land-yachts, but I have no desire to have the five dozen kids that justifies yours.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

saxonyron

Quote from: thewizard16 on March 29, 2011, 04:41:06 PM
Congrats on the purchase! I have a soft spot for the land-yachts, but I have no desire to have the five dozen kids that justifies yours.

We have so damn much fun as a family, I can't comprehend why you wouldn't want to jump onto the big family bandwagon.  Don't limit yourself! :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on March 29, 2011, 10:55:06 AM
You could always go for a late model 8.1L.  Unfortunately the only engine for the 2011 Suburban HD is the 6.0L

The 8.1L + 4sp AT is a dog compared to the 6.0L + 6sp AT; it's not even close.

thewizard16

Quote from: saxonyron on March 29, 2011, 07:12:15 PM
We have so damn much fun as a family, I can't comprehend why you wouldn't want to jump onto the big family bandwagon.  Don't limit yourself! :lol:
I'm not opposed to family, I'd just like to have fun with a family too small to be eligible to form a minor league baseball team :lol:. A family friend (who has since passed) used to be a foster parent (they were infertile) but started adopting kids and pretty soon he had 14 kids he was taking care of, although I believe only 9 were actually adopted. Luckily they were able to support a family that size, but they had one of those crazy extended vans that most places use as small buses and I remember thinking at the time that I didn't think I would ever be able to keep up with that many children.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on March 29, 2011, 07:26:24 PM
The 8.1L + 4sp AT is a dog compared to the 6.0L + 6sp AT; it's not even close.

The 8.1L had an Allison 5 speed.  (At least most were optioned so)
'racecar is die'
no

saxonyron

Quote from: thewizard16 on March 29, 2011, 07:32:14 PM
I'm not opposed to family, I'd just like to have fun with a family too small to be eligible to form a minor league baseball team :lol:. A family friend (who has since passed) used to be a foster parent (they were infertile) but started adopting kids and pretty soon he had 14 kids he was taking care of, although I believe only 9 were actually adopted. Luckily they were able to support a family that size, but they had one of those crazy extended vans that most places use as small buses and I remember thinking at the time that I didn't think I would ever be able to keep up with that many children.

Foster parenting is a whole different thing.  I hold those people  in the highest regard since most foster kids already have a boatload of issues and it is hell to try to give them a decent life.  I know a family with 10 kids, and that's definitely more than I would want. 5 is a good number, although we never had a chance to live with just 4 since the last 2 are twins.  I have a friend who has 6 and he just bought a huge black Benz Sprinter van.  It looks like he's driving a shuttle bus for the Sheraton, for God's sake!  At least with a big SUV you can still look quasi-normal. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on March 29, 2011, 07:49:14 PM
The 8.1L had an Allison 5 speed.  (At least most were optioned so)

The 8.1L (GMT800) Suburban was only available with the 4sp AT.

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on March 29, 2011, 08:13:42 PM
The 8.1L (GMT800) Suburban was only available with the 4sp AT.

Oh that's gay.  So I'm assuming the Avalanche was left out also?
'racecar is die'
no