Ask and You Shall Receive: Diesel Fueled Jeeps

Started by Atomic, April 08, 2011, 05:07:13 PM

Atomic

Jeep Looking at Diesel-powered Models in Three Years

By: Bradford Wernle

For: Automotive News

On: April 8, 2011 - 5:29 pm ET

Chrysler is studying whether diesels would make sense on such Jeep vehicles as the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.

DETROIT -- Jeep may offer diesel versions of several nameplates within three years, Jeep CEO Mike Manley told reporters Thursday.

"Diesel in some of our models makes absolute sense," Manley said, according to a report in the Detroit Free Press. He said diesels would make sense on such vehicles as the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.

"It does come at a significantly higher cost than a gas engine," Manley said.

He said the company will get advantages of economies of scale when emission standards for the United States and Europe become the about same in three years.

In September 2014, the new Euro 6 emissions requirements will require carmakers to meet diesel standards close to those imposed by the U.S. EPA for oxides of nitrogen, or NOx. Strict NOx emissions standards have been a major barrier to car diesels in the United States.

Chrysler executives have said that diesel engines cost about $3,000 more than gasoline equivalents, a price the company believes most customers will refuse to pay, especially with diesel fuel more expensive than gasoline.

Average diesel fuel prices were $3.97 per gallon last week, compared with $3.68 per gallon for regular gasoline, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

When Jeep was still part of DaimlerChrysler, the brand offered the 2005 and 2006 Liberty powered by a 2.8-liter, four-cylinder VM Motori diesel and the Grand Cherokee with a 3.0-liter, V-6 Mercedes-Benz diesel from 2007-09.

Atomic

heard from a good source in detroit that jeep will definitely add at least one diesel option to the grand cherokee, grand wagoneer in 2011 or 2012 - most likely in time for the gw intro.

Speed_Racer

I believe serious off-roaders are willing to pay extra for the gobs of crawling torque a diesel can provide. Not sure about the Jeep owners who buy only for the badge though.

93JC

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Mustangfan2003

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on April 26, 2011, 03:14:19 PM
Serious off-roaders don't buy new.
Very true, but they will buy them on the used market in a few years......though if I had a new Jeep I would wheelin' all the time.

93JC

Yeah, but there won't be any used ones to buy if no one buys new.

r0tor

Quote from: Speed_Racer on April 26, 2011, 02:55:53 PM
I believe serious off-roaders are willing to pay extra for the gobs of crawling torque a diesel can provide. Not sure about the Jeep owners who buy only for the badge though.

At the BMW playground, I found the diesel to be horrible for off roading.  The careful throttle control needed to crawl up things was seriously compromised by turbos spooling
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/27/jeep-grand-cherokee-wrangler-unlimited-diesel-first-drive/

QuoteOn the road, the Italian 3.0-liter V6 CRD in the Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 from the Jefferson North plant in Detroit is as smooth as butter. The 237 horsepower is, of course, fine. But it's the 406 pound-feet of torque between 1,800 and 2,800 rpm that gets our juices flowing. For one thing, the 3.0 CRD can accelerate a Grand Cherokee 4x4 to 60 mph in just 8.0 seconds, which is quicker than the 5.7-liter V8. It also has the same 7,700-plus pound towing capacity. EPA numbers would need to be run certainly, but by our conversion, the 3.0 CRD should be capable of 22 mpg city and 32 mpg highway. That's a far cry from the 16/22 mpg estimated from Chrysler's new 3.6-liter V6 Pentastar engine with the 4x4 setup. These numbers put the CRD's potential total range from a full 24.7-gallon tank at right around 800 miles. Yikes.

QuoteAnd, get this: If we convert that European liters/100km number to U.S. figures, the Wrangler CRD achieves 28.3 mpg city and 36.2 mpg highway with the manual tranny and 3.21 axle or 25.3/32.7 with 3.73 axle, the heavier Unlimited model getting only marginally less. Those numbers are positively stratospheric compared with the gas V6's 15/19 ratings, and while they would need to be EPA certified, we're certain they'll stay fairly high up there. Range from the 22.5-gallon tank sits just below 800 miles with the two-door Wrangler and around 730 miles for the Unlimited. Isn't it bizarre that we can't get our own Toledo-built Jeeps with their most efficient and off-road-gobbling factory trim?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: r0tor on April 27, 2011, 10:39:11 AM
At the BMW playground, I found the diesel to be horrible for off roading.  The careful throttle control needed to crawl up things was seriously compromised by turbos spooling

These diesels seemed to do alright

68_427

The BMW makes more power and as much torque as those ever did, with less than half the displacement.  Of course there's going to be more lag.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Most serious off roaders go with V8s anyway. 

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: SVT666 on April 27, 2011, 09:49:00 PM
Most serious off roaders go with V8s anyway. 

How about a Raptor with a Powerstroke V8?

cawimmer430

Chrysler is studying whether diesels would make sense on such Jeep vehicles as the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.

Are they serious? What's there to study? Diesels make perfect sense for heavy vehicles like SUVs.

A gas-guzzling V6 or V8 on the other hand makes NO SENSE AT ALL IN SUCH CARS.  :facepalm:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

Agreed did you guys see the possible mpg ratings I quoted? 

GC possible 22 city/32 hwy

Wrangler up to a possible 28city/36 hwy
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

The Hummer H1 used diesel (actually JP-x) because that is used in anything from generators to choppers to jets, and in general vs. gasoline diesel fuel is less susceptible to degradation and is much safer, and diesel engines are far less sensitive to low quality fuel.

I hate diesels in all their incarnations, and would NEVER use one off road, save for the aforementioned situation(s) that would be encountered by a military H1.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: 68_427 on April 29, 2011, 07:38:30 PM
Agreed did you guys see the possible mpg ratings I quoted? 

GC possible 22 city/32 hwy

Wrangler up to a possible 28city/36 hwy

Sign me up please for a diesel Wrangler with a pickup bed. 

68_427

I'm pretty sure those numbers are for the two door Wrangler, with 6 speed and standard 3.21 gear.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 29, 2011, 08:35:48 PM
The Hummer H1 used diesel (actually JP-x) because that is used in anything from generators to choppers to jets, and in general vs. gasoline diesel fuel is less susceptible to degradation and is much safer, and diesel engines are far less sensitive to low quality fuel.

I hate diesels in all their incarnations, and would NEVER use one off road, save for the aforementioned situation(s) that would be encountered by a military H1.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Cougs here.  Diesels are great for towing, for hauling, and for fuel economy, but for off-road, I will always pick a gasoline engine first.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on April 30, 2011, 09:07:31 AM
Unfortunately I have to agree with Cougs here.  Diesels are great for towing, for hauling, and for fuel economy, but for off-road, I will always pick a gasoline engine first.

Out of curiosity, why? 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Galaxy

Land Rover has great gasoline engines but for their Land Rover Experiance Offroad adventure vactions (Iceland, Botswana, etc) they use the diesel engines. Same with the Touareg tours VW offers.

cawimmer430

Unfortunately I have to agree with Cougs here.  Diesels are great for towing, for hauling, and for fuel economy, but for off-road, I will always pick a gasoline engine first.

Have fun when you run out of gas crossing the Sahara.  :devil:

We had a '96 Mitsubishi Pajero Turbodiesel SUV in the Philippines. It had 99-hp and the engine response wasn't that great as can be expected, but when it came to crossing small rivers or having fun on muddy and rough mountainous terrain I never felt that the lack of precise engine response was a drawback. Over time you simply develop a feel for the car. Plus it had a 5-speed manual transmission which gave you enough control over the engine etc.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

Our diesel Rams at work have been wonderful off-road, much better than the gas Rams we used previously, especially when you're off-road and carrying a load, which we always are.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Colonel Cadillac

AutobahnSHO

Diesels are just BETTER for trucks. No way to get around it.

BTW all the Toyota Land SUVs here in Kandahar are diesel. (And right-hand drive with funny squiggles where some of the words should be. :lol: )
Will

Mustangfan2003

Wished someone would offer a half ton diesel truck, I think Ram would be the most likely one at this point. 

hounddog

Ugh.  :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Once again, you could not be more wrong if you tried.

Probably one of the 3 best 4x4 vehicles EVER devised;

And, it was the diesel engine which put it in the top portion of the top three. 

Not to forget to mention that diesels are easily the better choice for many marine applications; double the fuel economy with half the maintenance.

There is absolutely no justification for this.

Sorry, not intending to call you out, just pointing it out. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.