Hot Solstice Selling $6,000 Over Sticker

Started by BMWDave, September 20, 2005, 05:50:56 AM

BMWDave

Hot Solstice Selling $6,000 Over Sticker
Date Posted 09-19-2005

DETROIT ? The new 2006 Solstice roadster is commanding as much as $6,000 over sticker price on AutoTrader.com, eBay and at dealerships, making it the hottest Pontiac in recent memory.

As of September 19, AutoTrader.com reported that the highest price for a Solstice was $26,500, while the average price was $23,998. The Web site said the lowest price for a Solstice was $22,795. The Solstice starts at $19,995 and rises to $24,700 for a fully loaded model.

One eBay bidder paid $32,900 for a Solstice, according to Automotive News. Buyers are shelling out the biggest premiums for the first 1,000 cars, which were sold to consumers through a promotion on Donald Trump's popular TV show The Apprentice.

Demand for the Solstice is far outstripping supply. GM said it will build about 7,000 Solstices this year, even though Pontiac dealers have ordered as many as 13,000.

What this means to you: Expect to pay top dollar if you want to get your hands on the hottest Pontiac in years.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Price gouging, just what the car needs. Hopefully that will settle down, and hopefully GM will increase production.  

cozmik

QuotePrice gouging, just what the car needs. Hopefully that will settle down, and hopefully GM will increase production.
Solstice plant is only like 10 minutes from me.

I could drive over there and get a megaphone and yell at the workers to work harder!

FATSER HARDER FASTER HARDER HARDER FASTER FASTER FASTER!  :ph34r:  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

mazda6er

QuotePrice gouging, just what the car needs. Hopefully that will settle down, and hopefully GM will increase production.

I could drive over there and get a megaphone and yell at the workers to work harder!

Or even better, go steal a few (:lol:>) Solstii (< :lol: ). :ph34r:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SargeMonkey

`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

SJ_GTI

Its a shame some people are dumb enough to pay these markups, but I guess some people have money to burn.

There were actually some people that paid 5k markups on the GTO when it first came out. Its amazing how dumb some people are.

From the dealers perspective its a no-lose situation. They either find someone stupid enough to pay the markup, or it sits on their lot until GM gives them more money to sell it. Its these situations that make me wish franchise laws didn't stop manufacturers from setting up their own stores. In the long run these markups are bad for the brand, but dealers are too short-sighted to care. I guess if the brand ever went under they would just switch to a new one anyway.

MX793

I thought GM was trying to crack down on the markups after the GTO fiasco?  I can't really fault the dealers, though.  GM hasn't put out many truly hot cars in more recent years and the dealers are probably just lost having a car that will attract customers sell without huge rebates.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Dumbasses buying over the sticker price are ruining it for the rest of us.  

Fucking idiots.  

Oh yeah, and this really helped the GTO.

:rolleyes:

Another reason to buy the MX-5 instead.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

GM SPECIFICALLY instructed dealers not to do that!

Who's going to want the Solstice once the Sky comes out?

MX793

QuoteGM SPECIFICALLY instructed dealers not to do that!

Who's going to want the Solstice once the Sky comes out?
I'd wait for the Sky simply for the no haggle pricing.  I don't think the Saturn dealers can mark the cars up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

They'll find a way to get around it. Maybe they'll declare the cars pre-owned to sell them over MSRP.  

Raza

QuoteThey'll find a way to get around it. Maybe they'll declare the cars pre-owned to sell them over MSRP.
I'd start haggling then!

:o

But really, why would they try and sell a new car as used and sell it over sticker.  Who would buy a used car over the price of a new one?  

GM dealers are really being stupid with this one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

They're UAW employees. They'll just laugh, and have you killed. (Don't mess with the "family".) :D  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

QuoteThey'll find a way to get around it. Maybe they'll declare the cars pre-owned to sell them over MSRP.
I'd start haggling then!

:o

But really, why would they try and sell a new car as used and sell it over sticker.  Who would buy a used car over the price of a new one?  

GM dealers are really being stupid with this one.
Supply is going to be very low against demand, each dealer will probably have one vehicle, and it will either be pre-ordered or first-come, first-serve. I would not be surprised at all to see a dealer call a vehicle pre-owned to waive the sell-at-MSRP rule, and someone would still buy it.  

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i