Review: 2012 Ford Focus

Started by the Teuton, April 10, 2011, 12:55:49 AM

the Teuton

Pardon the fact that it was written at nearly 3 a.m., but I got to drive a Focus on Saturday. Also, pardon the fact that it's written for a much less-educated audience.

Here are my thoughts:

http://thingsthatrhymewithcars.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/review-a-re-focused-ford/
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

I just realized that you can't get a manual trans hatchback with the sport package. Because of this, it will probably not be my next car.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 10, 2011, 01:28:17 AM
I just realized that you can't get a manual trans hatchback with the sport package. Because of this, it will probably not be my next car.

Really? That sucks. Also, I have to update it to note that I was driving the sedan model.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on April 10, 2011, 01:29:54 AM
Really? That sucks. Also, I have to update it to note that I was driving the sedan model.

I tried to build one on Ford's website and it wouldn't let me. It seems odd, because I thought hatches were supposed to be lighter/shorter/sportier than sedans.

You can still get one, but you're stuck with steel wheels and rear drums.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 10, 2011, 01:35:39 AM
I tried to build one on Ford's website and it wouldn't let me. It seems odd, because I thought hatches were supposed to be lighter/shorter/sportier than sedans.

You can still get one, but you're stuck with steel wheels and rear drums.

Yeah, they all have the same engine. I'd ditch the sport suspension if you can get the rear disc brakes without it. I thought the stock suspension was too harsh as it was.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on April 10, 2011, 01:37:25 AM
Yeah, they all have the same engine. I'd ditch the sport suspension if you can get the rear disc brakes without it. I thought the stock suspension was too harsh as it was.

There is no sport suspension.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 10, 2011, 01:40:20 AM
There is no sport suspension.

Then it seems not to be a point of contention. Rear disc brakes seem to be the objective here.

Or if you don't care about the quality of materials in your interior, you can always spring for a Mazda3. It's a sharper car, but as an overall package, it's not quite as good.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on April 10, 2011, 01:42:50 AM
Then it seems not to be a point of contention. Rear disc brakes seem to be the objective here.

Or if you don't care about the quality of materials in your interior, you can always spring for a Mazda3. It's a sharper car, but as an overall package, it's not quite as good.

I hate the way the Mazda looks.

I think I'd rather have a GTI at this point

Maybe they'll have something between the RS and the standard car later on.

ifcar

That's a shame about the ride. The marvel of the first Focus was that it was both comfortable AND fun to drive.

SVT666

The lack of a manual or paddles means I won't be trading in.my SVT anytime soon.  Not until the RS comes out anyway...unless it is only a 3 door.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on April 10, 2011, 08:31:32 AM
That's a shame about the ride. The marvel of the first Focus was that it was both comfortable AND fun to drive.

I'm interested to see what you think when you get a chance. I was really disappointed in the ride, especially after going back to my 16-year-old Saturn and it only being slightly worse in that thing.

Your streets are just about as ripped up as ours. You should get a very similar impression, I would think.

Quote from: SVT666 on April 10, 2011, 09:19:51 AM
The lack of a manual or paddles means I won't be trading in.my SVT anytime soon.  Not until the RS comes out anyway...unless it is only a 3 door.

Like I said, if you can get the car with rear disc brakes and a stick in some configuration (likely other than a "sport" hatch), I'd still check it out.

68_427

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 10, 2011, 01:47:44 AM
I hate the way the Mazda looks.

I think I'd rather have a GTI at this point

Maybe they'll have something between the RS and the standard car later on.

The Focus ST will be comparable in price to the GTI most likely.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Colin

Following a number of reviews in the UK expressing a certain amount of disappointment, there's a review in this week's Autocar, where the petrol engined car is up against the Golf 1.4 TSi and the Giulietta. the Golf gets a very wooden spoon indeed, and they conclude that the Ford just shades the Alfa....... they are back into Focus eulogy mode, though they are less than impressed by the styling (as am I - it is a mix of over fussy and bland), and they conclude it lacks the real fun to drive feeling of previous generation models.

The saloon will not appear in much of Western European, which is probably just as well, as it is even less visually attractive than the hatch..... mind you, we will get the ST, and the gaping gob on that is just horrendous to behold.

Hertz UK haven't got any on fleet yet - they gave me a blandified Passat for the weekend, instead. (report to come).

MX793

Doesn't the Focus have buttons on the shift knob for manually shifting the DSG, or am I thinking of the Fiesta?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

They both do. But are you really ever going to use them unless you have to (like on a steep incline)?

the Teuton

I originally wrote that the steering in the new Focus felt lifeless by comparison to the old car. I thought that might have been too harsh, but after seeing Colin's post, perhaps not.

Everyone has been loading heaps of praise on the car -- and most of it is deserved. But it does have some glaring deficiencies.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on April 11, 2011, 03:10:39 PM
I originally wrote that the steering in the new Focus felt lifeless by comparison to the old car.

2000-2007 or 2008-2011? There have been very few economy cars whose steering doesn't feel lifeless compared to the original Focus -- 1st-gen Mazda3 and the Mazda2 spring first to mind -- but if it's lifeless compared to the outgoing car, that would be a major disappointment.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on April 11, 2011, 03:17:28 PM
2000-2007 or 2008-2011? There have been very few economy cars whose steering doesn't feel lifeless compared to the original Focus -- 1st-gen Mazda3 and the Mazda2 spring first to mind -- but if it's lifeless compared to the outgoing car, that would be a major disappointment.

I've only ever driven one 2007 for 15 minutes and a ton of 2010s for many, many hours, so that's my reference point.

the Teuton

There. Changes made to reflect that point.

the Teuton

And yeah, I thought the 2010 Focus had the best steering feel in its class with the Mazda3 coming in a close second. So sue me if you don't agree.

I'd call the old Jetta perhaps number three, though. I wonder how badly VW effed that one up with the new car.

93JC

I liked the Focus too. The exterior was a bit 'blah', the interior a bit chintzy, but it felt just as good a drive as the Mazda 3. Even better, in some respects.

Shame the Volvo C30 was lifeless by comparison.

nickdrinkwater

This new Focus is horrible.  They have really suffered by making it a World Car, it's just ugly now (not that the last one was a beauty, but still)

SVT666

I drove the 2012 Focus SE 5 door today with the optional 17" wheel package.  Sticker price for the SE I drove was $24,000 (Canada).

Pros:
1. Almost everything.
2. Ride:  Teuts didn't like it, but I did.  Remember, I got out of the SVT and got into the 2012.  It has a very nice compliant yet firm ride.
3. Cornering:  Cornering was flat with very little body roll.
4. Engine:  160 hp, 148 lbs-ft, and 40 mpg!?!?!?!?  For those who know anything about the SVTF know that is just 10 fewer horses, the same torque rating, and 15 mpg better.
5. Seats:  The seats are brilliant and I would replace the SVT seats with these ones any day of the week.  I hate my seats now that I sat in these ones.
6. Interior:  Seriously, this feels like a $30,000 car.
7. Styling:  Great looking car inside and out.
8. Trunk:  It has to have at least 30% more space than my car.
9. Transmission:  Ford's new dual clutch automatic is brilliantly smooth and you can't detect any shifting at any time even when you are manually controlling.
10. NVH:  Like a bank vault.
11. Steering:  Great steering for a car in this class.  Nicely weighted and provides moderate feedback.  It doesn't come close to my SVT, but it certainly isn't "lifeless" like Teuton said.

Cons:
1. Transmission:  Hunts for gears constantly, but that happens with most 6+ speed autos.  No paddle shifters, just a dumb rocker button on the shifter.
2. A-Pillar:  It starts into the roof line too early and cuts down visibility at the apex of a corner.
3. B-Pillar:  Twice the thickness of the one in my car and hard to see around with the seat positioned where I had it.
4. Center stack styling:  Looks like a Klingon's forehead.  Might just take some getting used to.
5. Curb Weight:  200 lbs heavier than my SVT.  Also 2 seconds slower to 60 mph because of it despite similar power and torque ratings.
6. Back seat legroom:  Still tight, but better than my car.

Verdict:
This is a game changer in this segment.  My car is still more fun to drive, provides better steering feel, acceleration, and is better looking, but the 2012 Focus is a $30K car with a much much lower sticker price.  I still want to drive a new Elantra and Cruze to compare, but you can't go wrong with the 2012 Focus.  Job well done Ford.

EDIT:  Apparently the curb weight is 2900 lbs which is only 200 lbs heavier than my car, not 400 lbs like I wrote earlier.

2o6

Keep in mind this new Focus is likely geared quite taller than your SVT, which is why your SVT is so quick (but MPG's aren't all that hot).

Teuton, how fast did you drive the car? Most Ford vehicles have electric PS that is super boosted at lower speeds (for easier maneuverability) and at higher speeds it tightens up. I noticed that in the Fiesta.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on May 19, 2011, 04:43:28 PM
Keep in mind this new Focus is likely geared quite taller than your SVT, which is why your SVT is so quick (but MPG's aren't all that hot).

Teuton, how fast did you drive the car? Most Ford vehicles have electric PS that is super boosted at lower speeds (for easier maneuverability) and at higher speeds it tightens up. I noticed that in the Fiesta.

I took it about 30-35 most of the time in kinda heavy traffic. So that might make sense.