Chinese SUV Gets Worst-Ever Safety Grades

Started by BMWDave, September 20, 2005, 08:06:37 PM

BMWDave

Chinese SUV Gets Worst-Ever Safety Grades
Date Posted 09-20-2005

LONDON ? The JiangLing Landwind sport-utility vehicle, one of the first Chinese vehicles to hit a major western market, received the worst-ever score in European safety crash tests.

The two-ton 4x4 scored zero stars in crash tests last week by the ADAC, the German automobile club, which carries out tests for the European market, the Times of London reported.

"It had a catastrophic result," said a spokesman for the ADAC. "In our 20-year history, no car has performed as badly."

The Landwind, which competes against products such as the Kia Sportage and the Hyundai Tucson, was displayed at the Frankfurt motor show last week and is expected to arrive in British showrooms in a few months. It is already on sale in Germany, Belgium and Holland. A decision has not been made whether to sell the vehicle in the United States.

Safety researchers said a driver would be unlikely to survive a head-on collision at 40 mph in the Landwind.

What this means to you: Delete the JiangLing Landwind from your shopping list. Researchers warn it "belongs in the 1990s in terms of engineering."

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

thewizard16

Well, at least now we know (other than lower labor costs) how they make these things so cheap. "Safety engineers? What do they do?"
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

MX793

Is it truly the worst car they've ever tested, or is it simply a case where this car lagged farther behind competitors than any other car tested.  I find it hard to believe that this car is even less safe than cars from 20 years ago.

And I love the comment about 1990s engineering.  Especially when you consider that GM is still peddling a number of vehicles which are riding on platforms that were engineered in the 1980s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BMWDave

QuoteIs it truly the worst car they've ever tested, or is it simply a case where this car lagged farther behind competitors than any other car tested.  I find it hard to believe that this car is even less safe than cars from 20 years ago.

And I love the comment about 1990s engineering.  Especially when you consider that GM is still peddling a number of vehicles which are riding on platforms that were engineered in the 1980s.
Quote"It had a catastrophic result," said a spokesman for the ADAC. "In our 20-year history, no car has performed as badly."

That answers your question.

2007 Honda S2000

MX793

QuoteIs it truly the worst car they've ever tested, or is it simply a case where this car lagged farther behind competitors than any other car tested.  I find it hard to believe that this car is even less safe than cars from 20 years ago.

And I love the comment about 1990s engineering.  Especially when you consider that GM is still peddling a number of vehicles which are riding on platforms that were engineered in the 1980s.
Quote"It had a catastrophic result," said a spokesman for the ADAC. "In our 20-year history, no car has performed as badly."

Right, but testing standards change over the years.  A car with a 4 star crash rating in 1985 likely would not get 4 stars if tested today against today's cars.  
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BMWDave

QuoteIs it truly the worst car they've ever tested, or is it simply a case where this car lagged farther behind competitors than any other car tested.? I find it hard to believe that this car is even less safe than cars from 20 years ago.

And I love the comment about 1990s engineering.? Especially when you consider that GM is still peddling a number of vehicles which are riding on platforms that were engineered in the 1980s.

Right, but testing standards change over the years.  A car with a 4 star crash rating in 1985 likely would not get 4 stars if tested today against today's cars.
They must mean that no car, relative to the cars tested in the same year as the subject vehicle was tested, ever performed so badly.

2007 Honda S2000

MX793

QuoteIs it truly the worst car they've ever tested, or is it simply a case where this car lagged farther behind competitors than any other car tested.  I find it hard to believe that this car is even less safe than cars from 20 years ago.

And I love the comment about 1990s engineering.  Especially when you consider that GM is still peddling a number of vehicles which are riding on platforms that were engineered in the 1980s.

They must mean that no car, relative to the cars tested in the same year as the subject vehicle was tested, ever performed so badly.
So then it isn't necessarily the absolute worst car they've ever tested, it just lags behind any competing cars more than any car previously tested.
Needs more Jiggawatts

BMWDave

QuoteIs it truly the worst car they've ever tested, or is it simply a case where this car lagged farther behind competitors than any other car tested.? I find it hard to believe that this car is even less safe than cars from 20 years ago.

And I love the comment about 1990s engineering.? Especially when you consider that GM is still peddling a number of vehicles which are riding on platforms that were engineered in the 1980s.

So then it isn't necessarily the absolute worst car they've ever tested, it just lags behind any competing cars more than any car previously tested.
I'm just speculating here, I have absolutely no idea what they meant by that statement.  But still, the absolute worst car, even if its only in relation to cars tested that specific year, isnt an accomplishment to be very proud of.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

At least it's an original, if dated looking, design, so it's ok. But, i think that they made a mistake by selling it in Europe. IN china, they don't drive too fast, so the chances of dying are less, but those are screaming metal death traps pretty much everywhere else.

Raghavan

Run Away

Raghavan

QuoteWhat?
I'm really happy for them.
:blink:  

cawimmer430

The design looks like the old Opel Frontera! And the ADAC has though standards for any car. I wonder who will buy this car. It weighs 2 tons, is probably not available with a diesel engine option, has an outdated design and must be dirt cheap. Sure, it's cheap, but in these times of high gas prices, I doubt this car will succesful in Europe. You're better off going for the Kia and Hyundai rivals.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

QuoteAt least it's an original, if dated looking, design, so it's ok.

Real original.  :rolleyes:  

cawimmer430

^Like I said, looks like an Opel Frontera (Isuzu "something" in other markets...)^ <_<  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raghavan

Original for a Chinese car.

cawimmer430

The Isuzu looks good, the China car doesn't...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Not remotely. They changed the front end (but kept similar headlights, grille, and bumper) and the rest appears entirely identical. More egregious than many of the knockoffs posted.

Wimmer: Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport outside of Europe.  

cawimmer430

Not remotely. They changed the front end (but kept similar headlights, grille, and bumper) and the rest appears entirely identical. More egregious than many of the knockoffs posted.

Honda too!?  :o

I thought they designed their own cars.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

This is a complete copy off of the Rodeo and Passport.  Chinese manufacturers tend to make almost cosmetically identical cars to other manufacturers, but just lower the quality and safety just a couple of notches.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Instead of designing their own SUVs, they used the Rodeo for the Passport and the Trooper for the Acura SLX. In exchange, Isuzu made the Oasis from the first-gen Odyssey.  

cawimmer430

Instead of designing their own SUVs, they used the Rodeo for the Passport and the Trooper for the Acura SLX. In exchange, Isuzu made the Oasis from the first-gen Odyssey.
Aha...it's called COOPERATION.  :P  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Not really, both companies just got lazy and borrowed a car that the other had already designed. They weren't co-developed.  

Colonel Cadillac

The chinese have gotten past reinventing the wheel, and have gone up to reinventing the Isuzu.  

Colonel Cadillac

Now, could someone exlplain how this is legally feasible?

ifcar

Someone on C/D said that this was in fact the product of a legal joint venture (like the Passport) between Isuzu and this company, probably the only way this vehicle made it into Europe.

BMWDave

And here are the crash pics of the Landwind:

Pictures of Volkswagen Touareg for Comparison

Jeez!!! :o  

2007 Honda S2000

Colonel Cadillac

So if this is a joint-venture, do they have the same look and that be it, or the same pretty much everything? Because if this is a copy, howcome it is doing much worse than the Isuzu probably did.