Why no water injection?

Started by sportyaccordy, April 24, 2011, 09:47:03 AM

sportyaccordy

Here's what happen when you dump water onto a grease fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lab6T9FQMI&feature=related

Here's the scientific cliff notes of it

In an engine, water injection does a lot of good things. Cools down the combustion chamber (enabling more boost or compression or w/e, also reducing emissions), and more importantly, through the absorption of the heat, turns the vapor into steam, which through expansion adds power & in theory should increase efficiency.

I don't know the stoichiometric ratios for fuel/water/air that are ideal, but assuming a 1:1 ratio or something reasonable could work why the hell haven't manufacturers all jumped onto this yet? It's already in practice in the aviation industry & t3h b00st w3rld, is there something I'm missing?

Submariner

Interesting question: I can't picture the cost or complexity being too great of an issue. 

If I remember basic physics correctly, constant, rapid changes in temperature (and to a lesser extend, pressure) can dangerously stress the material that experiences it.  Do speciality/aviation engines have protections against this, or is it simply a non-issue?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

68_427

Where's the water going to come from?  A possibly heavy water tank?  You would also have extra lines/injectors.  Would it be injected through the intake or be DI?  It'd be really complicated to make it all worth it.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

My very limited knowledge of it (primarily WWII aircraft) says that its benefit is for hyper performance engines (i.e., extremely high compression ratio/high cylinder pressure) which is to say the benefit is basically zero for a standard performance engine.

The comment on "steam charging" I'd question because the heat used to vaporize the water is heat taken from the combustion process; I'm not so sure there would be a net gain in cylinder pressure (that is, on a properly running engine).

sportyaccordy

Well correct me if I'm wrong- I'm def no combustion expert- but isn't the bulk of the work extracted in a combustion engine from expansion? Heat wise, the water injection would def sap some of the heat of combustion- but odds are that is heat that was gonna flow into the block as waste heat (a significant portion- 50% of the input energy in my experience from cogen)- so as far as combustion goes, any means of converting heat into expansion will aid in crankshaft output efficiency, unless there's something I'm missing.

Why didn't I think of this in college, this would have made for an excellent master's thesis.

Galaxy

The Saab 99 turbo S used water injection.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 24, 2011, 12:47:13 PM
The comment on "steam charging" I'd question because the heat used to vaporize the water is heat taken from the combustion process.

I am not certain but I think the heat used would otherwise be lost to the coolant system, or the exhaust.

Edit: I missed that Sportyaccord already wrote that.

Galaxy

One potential problem with water injection:

I suppose today one could tweak them to not prosuce so much soot. However a simply diesel soot filter will probably not be sufficient.

sportyaccordy

Where the hell does the soot come from?  :confused:

And I have found some online communities about water injection, but nothing definitive about its effect on fuel economy.

From the kits I have seen, its main advantage is in bringing down super/turbocharged intake temps. But that is with the water injection happening before the throttle plate. I would be curious to see what the effects would be of injection after the throttle. I imagine less than positive effects on fuel atomization (though the water injection could be delayed), but positive effects on combustion chamber temps and other things. I don't think the mixture could handle a volume of water significant enough to add a ton of power, but a more sophisticated approach could definitely be a plus in the fuel economy dept, esp in the context of these new turbo engines. Imagine... 13:1 compression, 10lbs of boost off a small turbo, aggressive timing from idle to redline at any load, all for something like an Elantra  :rastaman: Gonna look into this more.

Galaxy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 25, 2011, 04:41:29 AM
Where the hell does the soot come from?  :confused:

Good question. I am assuming that the water causes some of the combustion to be incomplete. That effect would get counteracted by making the combustion that does get completed more efficient.