Vroom vroom?

Yes
13 (56.5%)
No
10 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

the Teuton

So my friend sees this wonderful car on the road today:

And we begin to wonder if this guy drives the car everywhere. Sure, he has the money. We've quite possibly linked an R8 V10 to his family, too, so it's not like they're hurting for cash.

But for crying out loud, who in the hell daily drives a $450,000 last-of-the-line Lamborghini? Or is it the right thing to do considering that the car is meant to be driven?

Edit: For the sake of this poll, a supercar costs over $200k, can accelerate to 60 mph under 4 seconds, can hit somewhere close to 200 mph, and isn't built on the same platform as a more mainstream vehicle -- because I know some semantics definition bullshit will arise in this thread.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

The Pirate

Assuming I could afford the upkeep associated with frequent use of such a vehicle, then yes. 

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

I would drive a Corvette daily, but not something that costs more money that I've ever made in my entire life.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

What's the point of owning it if you're not going to drive it? If you just want to admire it, admire one that someone else has bought and buy something you're not afraid to put on the street.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on April 25, 2011, 09:14:58 PM
What's the point of owning it if you're not going to drive it? If you just want to admire it, admire one that someone else has bought and buy something you're not afraid to put on the street.

I would drive the hell out of my super car, but I would not subject it to a daily commute in shitty traffic, or winter driving.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on April 25, 2011, 09:14:58 PM

You just completely avoided the question. I didn't ask if you'd buy an expensive car or not. I didn't even mention the act of purchasing, although it would certain come with the territory.

I asked if you would daily drive a supercar -- a car that has a good chance of appreciating if it is stuck in a car bubble in a garage.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

93JC

SVT666

I would drive a supercar daily except in the winter.  I also consider the Audi R8 a supercar and I would drive the shit out of that every day.

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on April 25, 2011, 09:28:48 PM
I would drive a supercar daily except in the winter.  I also consider the Audi R8 a supercar and I would drive the shit out of that every day.

Yeah, but you'd DD it because it's disposable. It starts at under $120k.

That kinda defeats the purpose of this. An R8 isn't even in the same league of exclusivity as a regular Murcielago.

I'd DD an R8. I think almost anyone would. I've driven a $130k BMW -- so what? An R8 isn't batshit crazy. And if it's not batshit crazy, is it really a supercar?

2o6

Where I live now?

No.

Some place in SoCal or Southern FL?

Probably.

the Teuton

BTW, I voted that I would not. I thought about the cheapest new supercar I know I want -- the Spyker C8 -- and asked myself if I'd want to drive that back and forth to work every day where I am. The answer is probably not. I think I'd probably have an S4 or something like that for DD duties.

You know, something comfortable. It doesn't mean I wouldn't drive it a few days a week, though.

2o6

I mean, these cars are meant to be driven, but putting them in a hard life DD situation is disrespectful, IMO.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on April 25, 2011, 09:44:25 PM
I mean, these cars are meant to be driven, but putting them in a hard life DD situation is disrespectful, IMO.

I'm not sure I'd word it quite like that, but who DDs an LP670-4 in Pittsburgh? Have you seen the roads around here? They're some of the worst I've seen in a "big" city.

Onslaught

If I had that kind of money then yes. But I'd also drive all kinds of cars. Some super and some normal.

giant_mtb

If I had the money to own one, it'd probably stand as a fair-weather DD and my lesser vehicle would be the "beater."  I wouldn't drive a supercar in the winter.  So that ruins my ability to call it a DD, but what ya do when you live in Michigan. :huh:

hounddog

Quote from: SVT666 on April 25, 2011, 09:28:48 PM
I would drive a supercar daily except in the winter.  I also consider the Audi R8 a supercar and I would drive the shit out of that every day.
One of my neighbors wives has an R8 and she drives it year round, except on days where the roads have not been snow plowed before she leaves for work.

She owns several beautiques in Petosky and he owns a couple vet. clinics and they are just flat out wealthy.  The worst part is they are older with no kids and no one to give their money to so they intend to give it to their alma mater vet. school. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on April 25, 2011, 09:32:33 PM
Yeah, but you'd DD it because it's disposable. It starts at under $120k.

That kinda defeats the purpose of this. An R8 isn't even in the same league of exclusivity as a regular Murcielago.

I'd DD an R8. I think almost anyone would. I've driven a $130k BMW -- so what? An R8 isn't batshit crazy. And if it's not batshit crazy, is it really a supercar?

What's the defintion of a supercar?  I always took it to be a manufacturer's halo performance car (within some parameters - a Mustang is not a supercar).

I'd say the R8 qualifies.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Onslaught

Quote from: The Pirate on April 25, 2011, 10:09:03 PM
What's the defintion of a supercar?  I always took it to be a manufacturer's halo performance car (within some parameters - a Mustang is not a supercar).

I think of an R8 as a super car. It's not a hyper car but it's got to be a super car.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on April 25, 2011, 10:09:03 PM
What's the defintion of a supercar?  I always took it to be a manufacturer's halo performance car (within some parameters - a Mustang is not a supercar).

Is there anything really insane about the R8? It doesn't look insane; it looks like a $120k sports car.

I think there needs to be the X factor in there, which the R8 lacks. Like I said, it's a disposable car.

If you call it a supercar, you're basically saying it stands on level ground with the LF-A, Murcielago, 599, and McLaren MP4.

I see it as more of a GT-R competitor, to be honest.

And I don't care if a GT-R is quicker than all of the cars mentioned above -- it's still a car that you get serviced right next to Versas and Sentras. That's not a supercar. Hell, even Lexus sends out people to service your LF-A specially. The R8 is just another Audi.

hounddog

Would you guys consider this a super car then?

It certainly sounds like you would expect a super car sound.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on April 25, 2011, 10:13:42 PM
Is there anything really insane about the R8? It doesn't look insane; it looks like a $120k sports car.

I think there needs to be the X factor in there, which the R8 lacks. Like I said, it's a disposable car.

If you call it a supercar, you're basically saying it stands on level ground with the LF-A, Murcielago, 599, and McLaren MP4.

I see it as more of a GT-R competitor, to be honest.

And I don't care if a GT-R is quicker than all of the cars mentioned above -- it's still a car that you get serviced right next to Versas and Sentras. That's not a supercar. Hell, even Lexus sends out people to service your LF-A specially. The R8 is just another Audi.
Disposable? You throw out some nice cars.

Not just anyone in a Nissan dealer can work on the GT-R. And I could have a nice Carrera GT and have it next to some cheap ass Porsche in the shop. Will that make my Carrera look bad?

Onslaught

the Teuton

Quote from: Onslaught on April 25, 2011, 10:18:12 PM
Disposable? You throw out some nice cars.

Not just anyone in a Nissan dealer can work on the GT-R. And I could have a nice Carrera GT and have it next to some cheap ass Porsche in the shop. Will that make my Carrera look bad?

This:

Is parked right next to ordinary cars. It, too, is an ordinary car. No one cares if it gets nicked except for the owner because it's made of steel -- not carbon fiber.

A Carrera GT shares nothing with any other Porsches but the badge. A Nissan GT-R shares parts of its chassis with the FM cars. Additionally, it's not really a sports car because it has a back seat if we're going to go really into it.

Just because a Panamera Turbo can hit 60 in 3.3 seconds doesn't mean it's a supercar, either.

I think the original definition in the first post works because the R8 isn't a supercar. It's not meant to be a supercar. It was originally supposed to sell for $90,000. It's ordinary.

People DD $100,000 cars all the time. People don't often DD $200,000 cars, though.

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on April 25, 2011, 09:46:03 PM
I'm not sure I'd word it quite like that, but who DDs an LP670-4 in Pittsburgh? Have you seen the roads around here? They're some of the worst I've seen in a "big" city.

I agree. The thing that would keep me from DD'ing a supercar isn't its price tag, but the fact that it wouldn't see its potential crawling up the 405 in rush hour traffic. A Lambo would purely be a weekend getaway car, or a track toy.

If I lived/commuted in Beverly Hills for example, I'd probably consider an Audi R8 or Ferrari California as a daily driver...

Rupert

I wouldn't DD a supercar because it's a pain in the ass. People staring and gathering around it whenever I park, having to be reeaaalllyy careful to not scrape bottom, lack of ride comfort, total lack of practicality...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

I'd DD a Ferrari F599, so I guess so.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on April 25, 2011, 09:12:09 PM
Assuming I could afford the upkeep associated with frequent use of such a vehicle, then yes. 

:hesaid:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on April 25, 2011, 10:28:37 PM

Is parked right next to ordinary cars. It, too, is an ordinary car. No one cares if it gets nicked except for the owner because it's made of steel -- not carbon fiber.

I actually don't think the GT-R is a Super car. But this part is bull shit. It's not an ordinary car. Not even close.
And I se "super" cars parked just like this all over the nice places in my town.

hotrodalex

Duh I'd drive it every day. Even in the winter if the weather isn't too bad. I wouldn't drive it in snow, though, since I wouldn't wanna crash it.

And an R8 is a super car. You're nuts if you think other wise. It's a Gallardo with a different body. A GT-R isn't quite a super car, but it's definitely not a regular car. It's a hyper-performance car.