"Coolant Level Low. Refill"

Started by cozmik, September 22, 2005, 10:04:59 AM

cozmik

So I have received a coolant low message again, and have scheduled my car to go into service. A few months back, I got this, as was told by the dealer to just top it off with some water (and I did). This week I got the error again. Upon inspection I have discovered that the fluid is coming out of a boil off/overflow tube on the coolant tank in the engine bay. I asked a co-worker his thoughts and he speculates that the cap, which keeps the system pressurized properly, might be defective, changing the pressure of the system, and thus the boiling point of the coolant. So the fluid is coming out of the tube because it is boiling over and out, and since the boiling point is lowered, the computer thinks everything is fine, and not boiling, because the temperature that used to be a concern is now above the new boiling point. Clearly boiling coolant is a very bad thing, which could cause many problems (warped head, overheating turbo, among other things as I understand it, if things get bad enough). Though I have not noticed any adverse effects yet, I want to cover my ***.

It has been suggested to me that I:

1) Make sure that I have documented when I first had the problem and what the dealer suggested.

2) Get a reading on the pressure cap, of what it is actually holding

3) Get pressure of the coolant system

4) Have a compression check done to make sure there are no defects there now

5) Get a reading of the coolant/anti-freeze mixture ratio as well

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Any additions I should add? Since I followed the dealers suggestions last time this happened, I would hope they will honor my requests this time. I have it scheduled to go in on Monday to have this looked at (I've been there so much, I think they know me by my voice now  ) I've got 32k miles on my car, so I don't have much longer till my warranty goes bye-bye, and want to make sure I have everything covered before that happens.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

Are you still under warranty?  If so, just demand that they fix whatever the problem is, and it should be at no cost to you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cozmik

QuoteAre you still under warranty?  If so, just demand that they fix whatever the problem is, and it should be at no cost to you.
It is, and I am, but I also don't want to be SOL because by turbo has been baking and at 51,000 (warranty it up at 50k) find out I need a new one because of this. I want to make sure all my bases are covered, so if that does happen, I can go to Saab USA, and say "look, this is what caused it, you should cover the cost of repair"

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

Right, I'm not arguing.  I'm just saying you go there and demand it to be done.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

I had a problem with my Land Rover last year.  I took it for a scheduled maintenance, and the mechanic found two coolant leaks.  One was in the radiator, and the other was in the system.  The cause was that extreme cold (- 0 F) had shrunk the system, and caused it to open and leak.

It would have been an expensive repair (No warranty anymore :( )  

The mechanic told me in warmer weather the system would seal itself again and I wouldnt need to repair the radiator and the whole coolant system.  

Well, it did seal itself.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

JWC

QuoteI had a problem with my Land Rover last year.  I took it for a scheduled maintenance, and the mechanic found two coolant leaks.  One was in the radiator, and the other was in the system.  The cause was that extreme cold (- 0 F) had shrunk the system, and caused it to open and leak.

It would have been an expensive repair (No warranty anymore :( )  

The mechanic told me in warmer weather the system would seal itself again and I wouldnt need to repair the radiator and the whole coolant system.  

Sure about that?  We just had a Rover in for similar problems, including the radiator problem....and it hasn't been cold here.

JWC

QuoteRight, I'm not arguing.  I'm just saying you go there and demand it to be done.
Demanding a repair at a dealership is almost a sure-fire way of getting crappy service. Show concern about your car and ask that it be looked into and the problem found. Then, walk up to the sales floor and road test a new Saab. Why? Because, you're looking at buying one, but not sure because this one has a major problem.  I've done this before. By some miracle, my auto ended up repaired at no cost, because the dealer smelled the blood of a potential buyer.

Work with them and they will work with you. Act like an ass and they'll just park it outside and tell you they can't find anything wrong....after about three days.  I've seen it happen.

That said, you should be aware that Saab is having a problem with their 2.3T engines, 1999-2003. Engine sludge is causing engine and turbo failure. But, you have to have all your service records....and they may or may not repair it based on that. The talk is an extension of the warranty to 8/80 for the engine. There is some debate here in the States about this, but in Europe Saab seems to be repairing engines under warranty.

Also, there have been headbolt problems on Saab 2.3, causing coolant and oil leakage. The repair is simply retorqueing the head bolts.

I once had a husband and wife come in with a list of problems, demanded that I repair all of them under warranty and sign a letter stating that I would do all the repairs at no cost.
Told them that I was not only NOT going to sign the paper, but they could leave the premises. Then, they threw the "we're calling Ford" at me, and I told them the phone number and the address to another dealer nearby.  They refused to abide by his wishes also. We found out later, that by the time he got to dealer number four, his attitude had changed and the request to sign a letter had disappeared.

cozmik

QuoteRight, I'm not arguing.? I'm just saying you go there and demand it to be done.
Demanding a repair at a dealership is almost a sure-fire way of getting crappy service. Show concern about your car and ask that it be looked into and the problem found. Then, walk up to the sales floor and road test a new Saab. Why? Because, you're looking at buying one, but not sure because this one has a major problem.  I've done this before. By some miracle, my auto ended up repaired at no cost, because the dealer smelled the blood of a potential buyer.

Work with them and they will work with you. Act like an ass and they'll just park it outside and tell you they can't find anything wrong....after about three days.  I've seen it happen.

That said, you should be aware that Saab is having a problem with their 2.3T engines, 1999-2003. Engine sludge is causing engine and turbo failure. But, you have to have all your service records....and they may or may not repair it based on that. The talk is an extension of the warranty to 8/80 for the engine. There is some debate here in the States about this, but in Europe Saab seems to be repairing engines under warranty.

Also, there have been headbolt problems on Saab 2.3, causing coolant and oil leakage. The repair is simply retorqueing the head bolts.

I once had a husband and wife come in with a list of problems, demanded that I repair all of them under warranty and sign a letter stating that I would do all the repairs at no cost.
Told them that I was not only NOT going to sign the paper, but they could leave the premises. Then, they threw the "we're calling Ford" at me, and I told them the phone number and the address to another dealer nearby.  They refused to abide by his wishes also. We found out later, that by the time he got to dealer number four, his attitude had changed and the request to sign a letter had disappeared.
I only have 2.0T. I do get all my service done at the dealer though, so they have a record of everything in their computer system if something does end up happening that would require proof of proper service. :)

I like to think I am generally pretty nice in situitions like this. Though I did request things be done differently than before. It was more of a "I would like you to" than "what do you think about this?" kind of thing (which is more typical of how I approach it). Not a demand ("you are going to"), but not a question either, a request IMO.

Admittadly I think they are getting tired of seeing me there. They don't even ask my name anymore, they know who I am...   :ph34r:  

BMWDave

QuoteI had a problem with my Land Rover last year.  I took it for a scheduled maintenance, and the mechanic found two coolant leaks.  One was in the radiator, and the other was in the system.  The cause was that extreme cold (- 0 F) had shrunk the system, and caused it to open and leak.

It would have been an expensive repair (No warranty anymore :(

Sure about that?  We just had a Rover in for similar problems, including the radiator problem....and it hasn't been cold here.
Its not leaking anymore, so I guess it was fixed and stopped leaking....

2007 Honda S2000

JWC

Cosmic--if you have a good working relationship with your dealer, especially if you deal with the same advisor each time, you may have a good chance getting across your concerns and getting him/her on your side.

When it comes to GM and Ford, customer relations is just a phone call to get a dealer off the hook if they don't want to fix your car. You call the manufacturer and talk to a rep. They call the dealer and ask the service manager what he wants to do. Then, they call you back and tell you the answer.  It's primarily dealer choice. If you have all your service performed at the dealer and they know you there, then you have a good chance of after-warranty repairs being performed.

(Just giving you a heads up Dave. Keep an eye on it.)

BMWDave

QuoteCosmic--if you have a good working relationship with your dealer, especially if you deal with the same advisor each time, you may have a good chance getting across your concerns and getting him/her on your side.

When it comes to GM and Ford, customer relations is just a phone call to get a dealer off the hook if they don't want to fix your car. You call the manufacturer and talk to a rep. They call the dealer and ask the service manager what he wants to do. Then, they call you back and tell you the answer.  It's primarily dealer choice. If you have all your service performed at the dealer and they know you there, then you have a good chance of after-warranty repairs being performed.

(Just giving you a heads up Dave. Keep an eye on it.)
Thanks-I will keep an eye out for any leaks :)  

2007 Honda S2000

thewizard16

Car dealers are a mistrustful group of people, with good reason. Being polite will generally go a long way, and if you've got an even half-way worthwhile dealer, they'll probably work with you. I've had some bad dealer experiences because, well, basically, they were jackasses that assume if you drop a car off for service, they hand you a printout and a bill telling you they've done it that you'll trust them. But when you check yourself (Hey, you're a customer, you're not supposed to know anything about cars!) and find out they haven't and ask why (started off very polite. After I got hung up on twice, I went down there and confronted the manager, who was also an asshole.) they become very un-helpful. So yeah, you need a good dealer to start with, but even a good dealer isn't going to want to be friendly to an asshole customer.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

I've had mostly good experiences.  Even though I had a bout with a service consultant that was fired for not keeping in touch with his customers (he told me that the part would be in by the next week, two weeks later, I go in, ask where it is, and his replacement finds out the guy never ordered the part), and when I got a new guy, he took care of me, fixed my speakers, and had me pretty comfortable in their waiting room.  No charge, too.  

Benz can get pretty hairy, since sometimes they don't want to do things that I want them to do, especially if it's warranty work.  But after a few coaxing words, and a reminder of the 5 vehicles we've bought from them, they generally comply.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

QuoteI've had mostly good experiences.  Even though I had a bout with a service consultant that was fired for not keeping in touch with his customers (he told me that the part would be in by the next week, two weeks later, I go in, ask where it is, and his replacement finds out the guy never ordered the part), and when I got a new guy, he took care of me, fixed my speakers, and had me pretty comfortable in their waiting room.  No charge, too.  

Benz can get pretty hairy, since sometimes they don't want to do things that I want them to do, especially if it's warranty work.  But after a few coaxing words, and a reminder of the 5 vehicles we've bought from them, they generally comply.
In my experience, Benz service sucks balls.  Of course, they are no idiots and realize we bought ours used, and most likely will never be able to afford a new one, so they aren't really 'losing' us as customers...would be ncie to see some service just as a general business practice though.

Pancor

Damn, owning a 3 year old car must be a pain in the ass.... :blink:

cozmik

My radiator was replaced today, so we'll see what happens...

SargeMonkey

Well you must have a slow leak, and use pure anti-freeze, it won't rust out yor core. Just JB weld a quarter over the hole once you find it. Our 78 truck had a leak. through an egg in it till we got home.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Danish

Quote from: JWC on September 22, 2005, 06:53:06 PM
Show concern about your car and ask that it be looked into and the problem found. Then, walk up to the sales floor and road test a new Saab. Why? Because, you're looking at buying one, but not sure because this one has a major problem.  I've done this before. By some miracle, my auto ended up repaired at no cost, because the dealer smelled the blood of a potential buyer.

Wait, I don't quite get this....

If your car can't be fixed, you would need a new one, increasing the chances of you buying, right?

Or this simply a case of increasing the reputation of the dealer in the consumer's eyes
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

:evildude:
I was here before you, beehatch.

SVT_Power

i was born before you, beehatch.

:evildude:

Raghavan

SVT_Power

thatz rightz. Oh wellz yourself.

Raghavan

SVT_Power

SVT_Power

like no arguging with trep is gay

r0tor

umm... despite this being old... turbos are oil cooled
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JWC

Quote from: SargeMonkey on September 27, 2005, 12:14:23 AM
Well you must have a slow leak, and use pure anti-freeze, it won't rust out yor core. Just JB weld a quarter over the hole once you find it. Our 78 truck had a leak. through an egg in it till we got home.

Don't use pure antifreeze...definitely not recommended.