The wagon is nearly gone for the United States

Started by Colonel Cadillac, May 01, 2011, 02:01:02 PM

Colonel Cadillac

The wagon market is shrinking terribly fast. 5 years ago, this is what the lineup looked like:

1) Audi A4 Avant
2) S4 Avant
3) A6 Avant
4) BMW 325iT
5) 535xiT
6) Volvo V50
7) V70
8) XC70
9) Mercedes-Benz C-class wagon
10) E-class wagon
11) Dodge Magnum
12) Jaguar X-Type wagon
13) Subaru Outback Wagon
14) Impreza Outback
15) Impeza Wagon
16) Saab 9^3
17) Saab 9^5
18) Mazda 3 wagon
19) Mazda 6 wagon
20) Ford Focus wagon
(I think that's all of them)

Now and coming up:
1) Audi A4 Avant
2) S4 Avant
3) A6 Avant next model year
4) BMW 3-series wagon next generation
5) 5-series wagon
6) Volvo V50
7) V70
8) XC70
9) Mercedes-Benz C-class wagon
10) E-class wagon <-- If this staple dies, I will be horrified. Quick fact: buyers of this vehicle have an average income of $500,000
11) Dodge Magnum
12) Jaguar X-Type wagon
13) Subaru Outback Wagon
14) Impreza Outback
15) Impeza Wagon
16) Saab 9^3
17) Saab 9^5
Saab's going to die any minute now, who knows what's going to happen with Saab
18) Mazda 3 wagon
19) Mazda 6 wagon
20) Ford Focus wagon
21) Cadillac CTS wagon
22) Acura TSX wagon

:cry:

Vinsanity

they cancelled the V70? That, to me, is the modern staple of the wagon in America. Though the Subaru Outback has been replacing it in popularity recently.

thewizard16

You forgot laconian's TSX! As far as the reduction in wagon choices- I know I'm in the minority when I say this- but I really don't care. With hatchbacks and crossovers and such seemingly growing in popularity, there are still plenty of cars with practicality that aren't SUVs (or drive like SUVs) out there to pick from, and I doubt they'd be cutting models if they were selling. I personally don't like the way wagons look at all and would rather just have a sedan or a sedan styled hatchback (I loved the Mazda 6 like that), but that's just me.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 01, 2011, 02:15:50 PM
they cancelled the V70? That, to me, is the modern staple of the wagon in America. Though the Subaru Outback has been replacing it in popularity recently.

Yup, it really declined as the wagon staple after 2000 or so.

Where I'm from people still get a lot of wagons, but they really are diminishing in quantity. I remember in middle school when it would be commonplace to see 4 silver E320 4-matic wagons in a row waiting to pick kids up. It was also commonplace to see 4 silver Suburbans, but wagons were well represented. Now, I imagine it has all shifted.

Last time I was home, I saw this:

I've always really liked wagons. You get a ton of practicality with all the benefits of having a car, plus about 100 pounds of added weight over the sedan equivalent.

Rupert

I like wagons, but I don't see myself buying one anytime soon. Maybe if I decide that the Explorer is too much truck. :huh: If I could only have one car, it would probably be a wagon.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

thewizard16

99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 01, 2011, 02:53:39 PM

That's kind of pathetic.

I've always wanted a wagon as well - I think they look great and I envy their trunk size. Hope there's something around when I can finally afford to purchase one.

PS You didn't include the Jetta Wagon (I forgot the special name it goes by.)

Onslaught

SVT666

There is no wagon variant of the new Focus.  Just a hatchback.  Also the Mazda 3 is hatchback only, so there is no wagon variant of that either.

ifcar

In the same way Subaru dropped the Legacy wagon and kept the Outback, Volvo dropped the V70 and kept the XC70. The same vehicle is still available.

Laconian

Quote from: thewizard16 on May 01, 2011, 02:23:17 PM
You forgot laconian's TSX! As far as the reduction in wagon choices- I know I'm in the minority when I say this- but I really don't care. With hatchbacks and crossovers and such seemingly growing in popularity, there are still plenty of cars with practicality that aren't SUVs (or drive like SUVs) out there to pick from, and I doubt they'd be cutting models if they were selling. I personally don't like the way wagons look at all and would rather just have a sedan or a sedan styled hatchback (I loved the Mazda 6 like that), but that's just me.

All of you guys who said "nay" to the TSX wagon poll are free to revise their answers to "yea".
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

El Barto

Quote from: Speed_Racer on May 01, 2011, 03:40:54 PM
That's kind of pathetic.

I've always wanted a wagon as well - I think they look great and I envy their trunk size. Hope there's something around when I can finally afford to purchase one.

PS You didn't include the Jetta Wagon (I forgot the special name it goes by.)

The Jetta is called the SportWagen.  There's a Passat wagon too but I think the wagon is being discontinued when the Passat is replaced next year.
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

WookieOnRitalin

These new crossovers now get 30 mpg and make wagons less necessary. The advantage you had with wagons is that they saved you on gas while giving you the cargo space you needed to haul stuff.

Also, in terms of aesthetics and appeal to general.....

Compact SUV >>>> Wagon

It's a shame really. I love wagons/hatches. If everything had been right, I'd be driving a 9-3 SportCombi right now.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

cawimmer430

Why is the American public so enamored with SUVs? What makes them so appealing? AWD? The lack of a gas-guzzler tax on those babies? "Perceived massive interior space and safety"? :huh:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 02, 2011, 08:18:50 AM
Why is the American public so enamored with SUVs? What makes them so appealing? AWD? The lack of a gas-guzzler tax on those babies? "Perceived massive interior space and safety"? :huh:

You should try one. They increase the size of your road penis more than any sports car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 02, 2011, 08:34:15 AM
You should try one. They increase the size of your road penis more than any sports car.

But only with a V8. Our 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero with a measly 2.5-l 99-hp turbodiesel did jack shit for my penis size.  :frown:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 02, 2011, 08:35:13 AM
But only with a V8. Our 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero with a measly 2.5-l 99-hp turbodiesel did jack shit for my penis size.  :frown:

You should have put stacks on it. And one of those faux rubber scrotums that hang from the rear bumper.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

AWD and extra ground clearance does come in handy in the winter; (although that's pretty much a moot point, since a lot of them are typically 2WD) but people actually like sitting up high and upright (I do) and having a higher command on the road.

Laconian

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on May 02, 2011, 07:51:41 AM
These new crossovers now get 30 mpg and make wagons less necessary. The advantage you had with wagons is that they saved you on gas while giving you the cargo space you needed to haul stuff.

Also, in terms of aesthetics and appeal to general.....

Compact SUV >>>> Wagon

It's a shame really. I love wagons/hatches. If everything had been right, I'd be driving a 9-3 SportCombi right now.
Which crossovers have been getting 30mpg?

You do realize that crossovers are inherently more wasteful than wagons? Larger tires, larger frontal area, AWD pork, etc. If a fatass CUV can do 30mpg, then a reasonably sized wagon could probably do 35-40 if given the same engine and running gear. And rising fuel prices are only making that efficiency edge that much more appealing.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2011, 11:38:56 AM
Which crossovers have been getting 30mpg?

You do realize that crossovers are inherently more wasteful than wagons? Larger tires, larger frontal area, AWD pork, etc. If a fatass CUV can do 30mpg, then a reasonably sized wagon could probably do 35-40 if given the same engine and running gear. And rising fuel prices are only making that efficiency edge that much more appealing.

Chevy Equinox 2.4 FWD is rated for 32MPG highway.

I think that's awesome, especially since the Equinox is the heaviest in class, by a noticeable margin (500lbs at least). Although to get that 32MPG, you have to really docile in your driving.

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on May 02, 2011, 07:51:41 AM

A small wagon is an economy car with SUV space but an economy car price and economy car gas mileage. It's not as if compact sedans haven't seen greatly improved mileage ratings as well in the last couple of years.

thewizard16

Not perceived, actual. They're huge and they feel it. There's something satisfying about driving a small living room around and I can't explain it beyond that. I loved driving a rental Tahoe, but with gas prices and overall lack of justification for one, I can't fathom actually buying one. 4WD is pretty irrelevant for me considering I might used it a few times a year if I had it.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Laconian

I think it's a perceived increase. Tahoes make up for their inefficient packaging by making the overall package fatter.

My mom's Prius is a smaller car than the Tribute it replaces, but my god, it's absolutely ENORMOUS inside by comparison!

thewizard16

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2011, 10:30:40 PM
I think it's a perceived increase. Tahoes make up for their inefficient packaging by making the overall package fatter.

My mom's Prius is a smaller car than the Tribute it replaces, but my god, it's absolutely ENORMOUS inside by comparison!
In some cases, I know what you mean (bigger doesn't always mean more space efficient), but not with large boxy SUVs. Compared to even generous wagons, the interior volume is still cavernous. The Tahoe is no Suburban, but 108.9 cubic feet of space not including the area for the front passengers is a distinctly large vehicle. I'm having difficulty finding total interior volume figures, but the area behind the front seats is already 7 cu. ft. larger than a Toyota Camry's passenger volume and 14.5 cu. ft. larger than the TSX wagon's passenger volume. Add in the area for the front seats and you're looking at a lot of real estate.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

AutobahnSHO

SUVs grew like crazy in the US because it was just considered 'cool'.
We went from jeep Wagoneers (which had warnings on the sunvisor that it didn't handle like a car- BE CAREFUL IN CORNERS!)

About the same time minivans cropped up they were considered uncool by most, but the original Ford Explorer combined decent seating with offroadability which is cool. But many didn't like the truck-like ride, so many out there jumped on the "offroad=cool" LOOK while building "car-like handling".   Look at the subaru Outback. Same wagon (originally) with a little more clearance and lights for "offroad".

My minivan has far more interior space (and practicallity) than any SUV out there. It probably sees just as much dirt as 80% of them, too.

---------------------------
The one gripe I have with wagons is that you have a lot of room but it's not exactly usable. My wagon and the PT cruiser have very similar gas mileage, acceleration, weight, and "usable space". But mine you have to get low and reach way in to use, it's like a small tube and the side back doors are impossible to get bigger stuff in and out. The PT cruiser's back space is taller but not as deep.

I think the Mazda5 is a fantastic mix of wagon/van, I've considered getting one next car.
Will

afty

We're going to need a new car within the next 2-3 months, and I've been thinking hard about getting a wagon since we have a young daughter.  It'd be nice to have the cargo space for her stuff and also room for a second kid's stuff in a year or two.  But there's nothing really appealing out there.  Ideally I'd like something about the size of the TSX wagon, but with a manual transmission, sporty suspension tune, and a turbo four-cylinder for power and fuel economy.  Mid 30s for price. The closest thing is probably the A4 Avant, but it doesn't offer a manual anymore.  A Jetta Sportwagen TDI might be a decent option as well.  I guess part of the problem is the death of the manual transmission.  Hell, I'd even be OK with a DSG-type transmission.  I just hate the rubber-band feeling of a torque converter.

Are any of you guys enthusiasts with young families?  What do you drive?

CALL_911

Quote from: afty on May 03, 2011, 07:10:20 AM
We're going to need a new car within the next 2-3 months, and I've been thinking hard about getting a wagon since we have a young daughter.  It'd be nice to have the cargo space for her stuff and also room for a second kid's stuff in a year or two.  But there's nothing really appealing out there.  Ideally I'd like something about the size of the TSX wagon, but with a manual transmission, sporty suspension tune, and a turbo four-cylinder for power and fuel economy.  Mid 30s for price. The closest thing is probably the A4 Avant, but it doesn't offer a manual anymore.  A Jetta Sportwagen TDI might be a decent option as well.  I guess part of the problem is the death of the manual transmission.  Hell, I'd even be OK with a DSG-type transmission.  I just hate the rubber-band feeling of a torque converter.

Are any of you guys enthusiasts with young families?  What do you drive?

328i wagon.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

A friend of mine went from a life of MTs to a DSG in his S5. He says the only thing he misses is the involvement; the thing does a much better of shifting than he ever did.

The pool of wagons to choose from is small enough that you can test drive all of them and see how they feel to you.

Atomic

the volvo v70 is now apart of the xc range... now there is a fwd xc70 and the awd xc70... this occured for the 2011 model year and will continue indefinately - until the next "xc" is introduced.