The wagon is nearly gone for the United States

Started by Colonel Cadillac, May 01, 2011, 02:01:02 PM

hounddog

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 09, 2011, 03:45:52 PM

I thought I read that Toyota canceled the Sequoia?
Not as far as I know, there is talk they fouls kill it at the next redesign of the Tundra, however.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

68_427

Quote from: hounddog on May 12, 2011, 07:48:27 PM
Not as far as I know, there is talk they fouls kill it at the next redesign of the Tundra, however.

I wonder if they'll replace it with something to go up against the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

The Pirate

Quote from: hounddog on May 12, 2011, 07:46:44 PM
Sure they are stock, I just wondered if they are Toyota or supplied by outside source.

I think that it's the Toyota 1VD engine.  V8, 4.5L, common rail and turbocharged.  I recall reading about this, but am unable to find the source at this time.  I'm looking right now.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hounddog

Quote from: 68_427 on May 12, 2011, 07:53:26 PM
I wonder if they'll replace it with something to go up against the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave?
Is that not what the Highlander is for?

Quote from: The Pirate on May 12, 2011, 07:57:44 PM
I think that it's the Toyota 1VD engine.  V8, 4.5L, common rail and turbocharged.  I recall reading...
That is what I am gloomy about.  I would LOVE that engine in the Tundra.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

68_427

Quote from: hounddog on May 12, 2011, 08:16:53 PM
Is that not what the Highlander is for?
That is what I am gloomy about.  I would LOVE that engine in the Tundra.

I guess, but I think the GM trio is larger.

Honestly they could bring over both variations of the 4.5 diesel.  I think the single turbo would be a good replacement for the 4.7L, while the twin turbo could be slotted above the 5.7L.  It would also basically force GM, Ford, and Dodge to do the same with their half tons.  Hell in the 90's you could get the half-ton Silverado/Sierra with the 6.5TD, and last gen Silverado/Sierra were available in 1500HDs.  Now all they need to do is combine both ideas and watch them fly off the lots.
'racecar is die'
no

hounddog

I am not certain that is true about the half ton diesels in the 90s, but, I honestly do not know.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

68_427

Quote from: hounddog on May 12, 2011, 08:28:26 PM
I am not certain that is true about the half ton diesels in the 90s, but, I honestly do not know.

It is, just very rare.  They came in 2WD with 3.08 gears.  I bet they got 25mpg.
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Quote from: 68_427 on May 12, 2011, 08:26:14 PM
I guess, but I think the GM trio is larger.

They're competitors, kind of, but yes, the GMs are much larger and quite a bit roomier. The Highlander is one of the few remaining vehicles in its class that doesn't have really usable third-row seating, and the Venza makes room for the next generation to get a little bigger.

I doubt it will have to get as big as the Traverse et al. Those are Tahoe size; Toyota will probably stick to Explorer/new Durango size.